Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

Looking for some advice. I have a 15 month old Male Dobbie. He is a great dog and listens to every command while we are inside. When we are outside its a whole different story. When I call for him to "come" he will run up to me but remain just far enough away that I can not grab him... Then when I command him to "come" he will sit down and look at me. If I move he bolts.. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
He has you trained to play his game! If his recall outside is unreliable, I would recommend a long lead, so he has no choice but to come. When he comes, use a very high value reward or game for a while so that he wants to come. When you go after him, and he runs away, that's a game in his mind. You're probably getting frustrated and annoyed, but he's having the time of his life. If you stop playing his game, and make coming very fun, he will be more likely to want to come when called. You can start working recall work into your daily training sessions. Training a high prey drive dog outside can be difficult because it's full of distractions, your goal is to become more fun than the distractions. Make yourself higher value than whatever else the dog is ignoring you to go and do. How you do that depends on the dog, but the highest value toys, games, and food should be included.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are exactly right...He takes off running in circles and bouncing around everywhere. I will start working with him ASAP on that. I have another question. When he was a younger pup I could go for a bike ride and he would follow right next to me with no problem. Once he hit 12months old he started barking and bitting at the tires. Any idea whats going on with that?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would go back to basics outside and make it easy. I start with the backyard. I am standing right near my dog, I say come, take collar and reward. I very slowly get further away and I use a high high high value reward. I don't ask them to come at first when they are distracted because they will fail. I will eventually expect them to come no matter what.

I play recall games with two people. Dog runs from one person to the other with a high value reward. start close, slowly move further apart.

Also inside does come mean, come to me and let me take your collar? If not, work on that inside also.

I play a training game where I toss a small cookie and tell the dog to find it, then once they find it and eat it, I move backwards and call them to come. Moving backwards usually triggers them to come to me and I have a HIGHER value reward. pretty soon the dog figures out after find it, come is the next command and they are antipicipating it and the recalls get faster.

I also use a clicker or word marker (yes) and mark the second they turn they head and start to come to me. I say YES the second the Vizslas turn to come to me
YouTube - recall come both.AVI

I use a really really really silly voice. here I am training Flirt to come when she sees a squirrel. Notice I don't just call her right away. She's not there yet. I cheat and say Hey Hey which means nothing, but gets her to look at me. When she looks at me for a second, THEN I CALL.

YouTube - flirt come squirrel

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks for this part of the post.
" I cheat and say Hey Hey which means nothing, but gets her to look at me. When she looks at me for a second, THEN I CALL."

It is a good point not to issue the call when working until you have some attention. I will try that also. I am working on Pula with my neighbor's cats (she can see them through the chainlink fence on the upper part of the yard). Not an easy task for her with squirrels and cats and skunks right now.

Reactions: KevinK

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Great advise above. I never chase my dogs I run from them. If I call and am ignored I run in the opposite direction. Touching the collar before the reward for come is very important so they dont learn to dodge you as he is already doing. I would work in some really fun training on collar grabbing.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
You should never call your dog to you unless you can have the dog come to you long line is best that way if he always comes he will not know any difference of not coming.have you tried really great treats something he never gets used only for come. Try running the other way as someone else suggested never ever call you dog for any type of punishment whether it be a stern talking to or cuff what ever you use. Not saying you do either some people call there dogs then get on to them then cannot figure out why the dog does not want to come.
Has no one told you biking with a Doberman or any large breed of dog before the age of 18 months can damage their joints for life. Dogs have growth plates in their joints if forced exercise before the growth plates close the dog can get sever arthritis at a early age. Check with your vet before running your pup.Good luck with Come

·
Registered
167 Posts
Kevin is right, you need to keep working on the long line for the recalls and the distant sits and downs. He is not fully mature yet so he needs the foundation work alot to make it stick. Another helpful hint that kevin also hit on is to use play. You need to raise your dogs threshold (tolerance) of outside distractions. A good way to do this is to use play as the reward. Get a tug toy with a handle on it, the only time your dog plays with this toy is during training. go through a couple commands and then play for 5 minutes. Do it randomly also, meaning when he is distracted by something. You will be suprised with the results.

·
Haz Cookiez, won't share!
357 Posts
I love the advice on this forum! Ffion has a high prey drive and using a long lunge line (the type you use for horses) has been really benificial, along with high rewards and praise. When in the garden (and she's off the leash,if she runs off in the other direction, I about turn and walk the opposite way, I don't run after her! This is a major distraction for her and she quickly run's back to me.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Some great advice has already been offered. Something that seems to be working for us limiting our use of "come" to either formal training sessions, in which Jack is on a long line and has no choice but to come, or to less formal situations in which we're pretty sure that he will come when called. So when we're hiking off-lead, for example, we often practise "come" randomly. But we try not to call out to him when he's highly distracted by something else, such as tracking a rabbit. This strategy can also work in the backyard and elsewhere.

The idea is to set him up for success -- and not to let him get even an inkling that "come" is a command that he can ignore. In situations where we want him to come but we're not sure that he will, we try to find other ways to lure him to us. We often use "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon," for example, but in a tone of voice that is much lighter and higher than the one we use for the formal ”come."

·
Registered
69 Posts
my trainer in puppy class has just started on recall and this one thing is so vital that I never thought of before nor used with my other dogs...Adara mentions it....when starting in recall make sure to end with a collar touch....I truly value this concept and can see how vital it is....I do not mark the come till i have handled her collar...no drastic grab just as if I was petting her I touch the collar then mark...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts