Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Havana and Tank
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My five year old male is uncontrollably interested in female urine. He licks any female urine he comes across and of course that causes the mouth drool saliva and chattering teeth. The problem is that my six year old female is spayed and dribbles a bit. So, after two days the entire tile floor patio and garage is covered in drool. It’s really getting old, I tell you.

My male is intact as I may breed him someday, but I don’t really have a strong desire to do that as he is a pet and companion first and foremost.

So, my question is this…is the attraction to female urine a sex drive that would be eliminated after neutering, or would the behavior continue and I neuter him for nothing? Anyone out there dealt with this issue before?:confused:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yes, it should. I neutered a male with an intact female and the male lost interest fairly quickly.

Good luck.

Reactions: Steven_Roberto

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I suspect Hooligan is correct that dogs react differently. My guy would lick urine on the ground and sniff the female to no end. He was obnoxious. After being neutered, he still sniffed once in a while but didn't try tasting or covering the urine. I figured he was checking to see if there were hormones in the urine and once he was neutered, he lost his interest in reproducing.

What does your vet say?

Reactions: Steven_Roberto

·
Havana and Tank
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspect Hooligan is correct that dogs react differently. My guy would lick urine on the ground and sniff the female to no end. He was obnoxious. After being neutered, he still sniffed once in a while but didn't try tasting or covering the urine. I figured he was checking to see if there were hormones in the urine and once he was neutered, he lost his interest in reproducing.

What does your vet say?
The vet says she has no idea, just that "neutering is recommended"

Off the record she says no problems develop in males from not being neutered until about nine years of age, on average. As my boy is 5 1/2 she does not seem to feel its necessary. Different vets, different answers. But in general I find vets don't know much about nutrition or about behavioral issues like this one.

·
Pro Snake Wiggler
2,309 Posts
In my experience, sometimes. Titan has never lost his interest in girls, Buster never really developed his, and they were both neutered around a year old. Buster is a chi (mix?) and Titan a GSD/GSP.

My boy will click and clatter and drool over girls and their urine, but can be called off easily (usually!) at 10 months old.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
In my experience, it made no difference.

I really think it depends on the dog, because I know spayed females will smell urine and chomp their teeth and foam at the mouth just like intact males.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts