Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Doberman puppy who recently got his ears cropped. I asked for a medium crop and they seem a good size for him since he is on the smaller side of the Doberman scale. I was hoping they would be a tad bit longer though. Will his ears grow a little or is that the size they'all remain as he matures?

(Tried posting a photo for reference but haven't quite figured out how to do that yet)

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
The ears will not grow as much as the rest of your puppy - so ears that look very proportional now will end up being on the shorter spectrum of crop lengths. If they just look a little long, then you might end up with a nice medium crop. Pictures would be helpful

Reactions: Gretchen_Red

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd take the cone off, they don't like them and it can bump the healing ears.
I removed the cone after the second day. He didnt seem to mind when it was on though :) I was worried about the ears getting a good amount of air though so that's why I decided to remove it. Here is now though with both ears already standing ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
That looks like a fairly short crop to me. It's hard to see with the picture so far away but I'd keep posting and stretching the ear.

1. If you purchased from a reputable breeder your boy would have already been cropped and nearly healed when you picked him up. I'm not harping, you have him and he's crazy adorable I'm just being informative.

2. Only ever use a vet that's recommended on this site or by someone who shows. Once again not harping but many vets crop, only about a handful are worth anything.

3. If I had to do my crops I'd always go long, if you don't like it you can go shorter but you can NEVER go longer if the crops too short.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts