Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I really want to get a Doberman puppy. Now I've owned a dobe before, but I made the mistake from buying from what you would say a back yard breeder. He passed away when he was about 4 and I really don't want to go through all that again. So I want to get one from a good breeder this time. My wife and I really would like to get one for the kids birthday. My son and daughter share a birthday, August 26, but two years apart. They will be 4 and 6 and really want a dog. We just want a dog to be part of the family. Not interested in show or work dogs, just to be part of a loving family.

So what I really want to know is if anyone has delt with Wilks Dobermans before? Or if anyone has any recommendations for the KY area. Don't really want to ship or drive more than 4 or 5 hours either. We really want a black/rust male too.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hoytt in their lines tells me NO WAY. And the Hoytt foundation dog died at 5 years old from snake bite - hmmmmm.
What Tricia means by this is "mysterious" and/or unlikely deaths are often listed that way to cover up cardio disease deaths.

Since it's well-known Hoytt claims no cardio in his "lines," and yet many dogs from his breeding are reported to have DCM...well, it's concerning.

Does this breeder have a website, with info and pics of their dogs? (Too lazy to google tonight, sorry.)

Unless they are providing all basic health clearances, including thyroid and liver panels, vWD genetic status, PDK4 status, recent (and at least annual) echoes and holters on all breeding animals, plus OFA hips and CERF, I myself would not be interested in even looking at their dogs.

Add to that, despite you saying you want "just a pet," they would need to be doing something with their dogs besides pumping puppies out of them. That tells me they are walking the walk, and have some experience with their own dogs, and in observing the good dogs from other programs, and can network and have mentors about how to produce nice healthy animals.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Whilst buying from a reputable breeder in no way guarentees you are going to get a dog who will live to a grand old age, it must be said you stand a far greater chance of it doing so than when you buy from someone only interested in making a fast buck.

Health testing is vital (I have learnt nothing if not that) but also so is temperament/suitability. There are some lines (I unfortunately do not know which they are) over in the states that are prone to aggression and some breeders who may look reputable on paper are using them to breed puppies whom they will pass off to unsuspecting folk as being suitable for family life. You need check out with these guys which lines are to be avoided. The key here is research, research and to top it off research again.

Have you considered rescue? There are some great family Dobes out there in need of a good home due to no fault of their own, so please do not discount them. Now I know most kids want a puppy, but the truth is, kids and puppies are rarely the happy combination we all hope them to be. A puppy is hard work, they are also not a toy and whilst I do not doubt your kids are well behaved, fact is they often want to play when the puppy doesnt and that is when friction starts. Puppies also require a great deal of time and commitment in order for them to become the nice adult dogs we all hope they will be. I know when my kids were 4 and 6 I often couldnt give my dogs the time needed to train etc that I should, so again here is where an adult dog comes into the fore. The rescues you have in the states do a sterling job of placing the right dog with the right people. So take a look at the rescues near you and even further afield. For the right family I am sure these people will move heaven and earth so the right dog finds its forever family and the love it deserves.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
If that's them, looking at the pedigrees on their dogs, I would think that's gonna be ALOT of dog to handle. Especially if it's just a pet (nothing wrong with that) for your kids.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regarding Wilks Dobermans

Ok so I really want to get a Doberman puppy. Now I've owned a dobe before, but I made the mistake from buying from what you would say a back yard breeder. He passed away when he was about 4 and I really don't want to go through all that again. So I want to get one from a good breeder this time. My wife and I really would like to get one for the kids birthday. My son and daughter share a birthday, August 26, but two years apart. They will be 4 and 6 and really want a dog. We just want a dog to be part of the family. Not interested in show or work dogs, just to be part of a loving family.

So what I really want to know is if anyone has delt with Wilks Dobermans before? Or if anyone has any recommendations for the KY area. Don't really want to ship or drive more than 4 or 5 hours either. We really want a black/rust male too.
I purchased a female Doberman from Wilks 2 years ago this August. I called so many breeders in KY and TN to find a good breeder, but they all were clearly backyard breeders except Wilks. I asked a ton of questions and the only breeder that fit the bill was Wilks. I do not believe she is a backyard breeder by any stretch. They are a small kennel and she works as a vet tech. I will say THEE only thing that I didn't like was the pups were in the outside kennel with the parents. I just don't like seeing dogs outside in kennels for any reason. My Keely Shae is going to be 2 years old in August and I am considering another Doberman pup, I plan on calling Wilks and get a pup reserved. I am sorry you lost your dog at only 4 years old. It is heart breaking, we have all been thru it and that is the hard part of owning a Doberman. Good luck on your next pup!! I would give Wilks another try, and if you don't be very cautious on the tons of real backyard breeders in KY!! You could also consider a rescue Dobie! My very first one was a rescue and the best dog I ever owned, may she rest in peace. Best wishes to you! Kim

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Wilks was the best you found? Good grief. Masaya and Swiftrun are in Kentucky!

I purchased a female Doberman from Wilks 2 years ago this August. I called so many breeders in KY and TN to find a good breeder, but they all were clearly backyard breeders except Wilks. I asked a ton of questions and the only breeder that fit the bill was Wilks. I do not believe she is a backyard breeder by any stretch. They are a small kennel and she works as a vet tech. I will say THEE only thing that I didn't like was the pups were in the outside kennel with the parents. I just don't like seeing dogs outside in kennels for any reason. My Keely Shae is going to be 2 years old in August and I am considering another Doberman pup, I plan on calling Wilks and get a pup reserved. I am sorry you lost your dog at only 4 years old. It is heart breaking, we have all been thru it and that is the hard part of owning a Doberman. Good luck on your next pup!! I would give Wilks another try, and if you don't be very cautious on the tons of real backyard breeders in KY!! You could also consider a rescue Dobie! My very first one was a rescue and the best dog I ever owned, may she rest in peace. Best wishes to you! Kim

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
i have a dog form swiftrun and he has been great talk about drive this boy has it
if you are looking for a pet for a 4yr and 6 yr old i would not get a working dog at all
it will to much for the kids for sure good luck hope you find what you need

now if you need a working dog go to swiftrun they will work you lol
she is great to work with and you will have a good working dog

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
It looks like they are importing some better dogs, but that they are still breeding just to breed. I don't see any titling or health testing on their dogs at all. Maybe I missed it, but most people so put this on their websites.
Ashley vom wilden suden (sp) had some health testing and had a BH, but she came to them with these. She was apparently sold to them with the promise she would be spayed after they bought her, but she was bred instead. Ashley passed along some pretty severe demodex to some of her puppies. She likely had immune system issues but I don't recsll if that was ever confirmed. I believe (not 100% sure) this is why Tammy ended up selling her. I know Tammy replaced at least one puppy from her due to this issue. I saw the dog and it was bad. So to have her close in the pedigree is not something I personally would want. It looks like she may have died young as well, but I do not see a date of death. I think she should have been around 7 or 8 years old by now if she were still alive.
The dogs they are breeding now are not all that young that they shouldn't at least have a BH by now if they are indeed working them and calling themselves working breeders.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You might also want to contact Dr. Sam Grant of Kaywood Dobermans. doberman pinscher - doberman breeder - ear cropping They are located in Cincinnati. He has some dogs that I think are simply stunning and he is one of the best croppers in the country so they'll have a gorgeous crop! There is also A'Carrig Dobermans in KY near Ohio but she has no puppies, however, she may be able to recommend someone she knows who does. Michelle of A'Carrig is a member of this board you may be able to send her a pm or email her through her website http://acarrigdobermanpinschers.yolasite.com/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

Just so people will be informed. I do health test my dogs. I don't always list everything I do with them but, there is some of the health testing listed. I have not been able to show many due to a car wreck I had. I did show Ashley some and placed some titles on her before we had to put her down at 9 1/2 years old due to cancer. Her breeding was an accident that happen when I was out of town,but I bottle fed the pups and they do not have any demodex. I am not a puppy mill nor a backyard breeder I have had two litters in 11 years.

I never talk about anybody or their dogs if I don't know things for a fact and I wish people would find out the truth about my dogs and me before they post untrue stuff. Snake bite for example I am a vet tech and my male did get bit in the mouth by a copper head and I tried but sadly could not save him it broke my heart and then people I don't even know call me a lair.

That's not fair. I would never do it to you.
I love my dogs they are part of my family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have my website up at this time, but I was rebuilding it. I stated under constrution. Also If people would have looked alot of the info was on the website.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts