Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm preparing myself for a somewhat nomadic, outdoor and off the grid lifestyle. After some dog-whisperer TV I just had this idea that it would be nice with a companion by my side during my travels. A loyal and loving medium-big sized dog with a lot of stamina, a worker, hunter, tracker, watcher kind of dog. Multipurpose.

The doberman seems like a very nice breed, it is really growing on me and I believe it would be a good fit for my changing lifestyle. I never had a dog myself but I'm accustomed to different breeds through friends and family. I'm good with animals and look forward to the challenge of having my first dog! If all goes well I'll be a doberman owner next spring, otherwise I may have to put it off for a year or so.

Just gotta do some research first. It lead me here :). Here are some things I'm gonna try and find info about, on this site
*European dobs
*Gender differences doberman
*Sterilization vs natural
*Food intake and raw foods
*Dobermans as hunters, taking dobs hiking etc.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Welcome from Missouri and glad you are doing some research. My daughter lives off the grid with 3 girls and 2 dogs. They love hiking and running. I don't know how she does it.

You will find a lot of info on Euro vs American - It usually comes down to personal preferance. I have both and LOVE both but do different things with them.

If you are not going to be a responsbile breeder then spay/neuter is best especaily if you live off the grid where the dog might have more room to roam.

Good luck and stay warm Winter is coming

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,925 Posts
Speaking of winter coming, the doberman, because of its lack of long hair and an insulating undercoat, is very sensitive to cold weather.

Many folks find their dobes need coats for an hour or two hike in the cold (below 30-40 degrees F); if you plan to be out longer on a regular basis, you might want a dog breed that is more adapted to cold weather.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
:)

Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!

a Doberman could be perfect for that lifestyle. They are a very multi-purpose dog for sure!

mine love living off grid with me. :)

Good luck with your research, please check into a Rescue Doberman as well. Thank you.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
I think a Dobe with booties and a nice Weatherbeeta would suit your needs...

But they need to snuggle to keep warm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the welcome also good input. The coat is definitely something that I take into consideration. I wasn't planning on getting myself into a very cold environment but I haven't worked out all the details yet and maybe I need a more cold resistant breed. I'm gonna look more into the malinois as an alternative but I think I prefer the doberman if I can help it. But I realize they are sensitive to low temperatures.

What about overheating summertime. Is it a problem for breeds with long fur such as GSD or malinois? And dobermans ofc.

Shed hunting seems like fun, but what can you do with the antlers? (Perhaps they make great dog bones *unsure*.)

·
30,675 Posts
I am thinking of shed hunting too as the Elk go right through my area.

They are sold for Dog chews. :)

I am going to work on 'training' one of my dogs to find them.

The Elk start to shed their Antlers in February in my area.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Actually my friends in Sweden with dobes do a lot with their dogs in the winter. If it is too cold for the people to do something then they stay in with their dobes. They skijor and hike and run dogs all winter. They train schutzhund in an unheated horse arena. They do have coats for their dogs and occasionally they wear them when out for walks.
Good luck. I found out this past summer while visiting Sweden how much fun they have with their dogs. If I could earn a living there I would move there in a heartbeat.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Thanks everyone for the welcome also good input. The coat is definitely something that I take into consideration. I wasn't planning on getting myself into a very cold environment but I haven't worked out all the details yet and maybe I need a more cold resistant breed. I'm gonna look more into the malinois as an alternative but I think I prefer the doberman if I can help it. But I realize they are sensitive to low temperatures.

What about overheating summertime. Is it a problem for breeds with long fur such as GSD or malinois? And dobermans ofc.

Shed hunting seems like fun, but what can you do with the antlers? (Perhaps they make great dog bones *unsure*.)
It's also not so much the temps that I was recommending a double coated breed for, it's also the fact that their double coat provides more protection in the outdoors as far as bug bites(though it can be hard to find ticks in a double coat) and stickers/brush, running through the woods/fields...things like that.

Here is a little article about how coated breeds handle the heat:
Double coated breeds | Localwin.com

Double coated dogs are all-elemental type dogs, meaning they are suitable for extreme cold as as well as heat. They have guard hairs that protect the dog from the sun's rays beating directly down onto its skin like with single coated dogs. Dobermans would not handle heat as well as say, a German Shepherd. However, no dog should be left outside for long periods of time in extreme temps because any dog is susceptible to heat exhaustion and strokes. Dogs breathe through their paw pads, because of this I will bring a water bottle with me to stop every now and then on walks and pour water over the pads.

It is hard to beat the look and presence of a Dobie though ;)

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Stormy puts her jammies on in Oct and they come off in May. (In the house, in Canada):)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Antlers make GREAT chews for dogs. My boy loves antler pieces and they last FOREVER. Also, if you get big/good sheds I hear they sell for a lot of money.

·
30,675 Posts
Not only are the antlers sold for dog chews................there is a big market for crafts made out of antlers!

As to the cold/heat thing with Dobes...................my Dobes are quite happy being outside with me in all kinds of weather. And mine do not ever wear coats, etc. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts