Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Crazy Pup
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. we just picked up our first Doberman last Thursday. It was my wife's idea to even get a dog, which completely shocked me. I have had dogs before, but my wife grew up in a pet free home. We have a cat, and it took a while to warm up to that fur ball. My wife has been pissed off for the last 3 days. And for various reasons really: dog smell, extra hair everywhere, dirty paw prints...you know, everything that comes with living with a dog! Anyway...any thoughts?

Jonney

·
Got mutt?
13,840 Posts
If she doesn't like pets, WHY did she suggest getting a puppy in the first place? I think the two of you should have a sit-down adult-to-adult talk about this puppy, the reasons you got him, and the work that a puppy/dog can be. Maybe even bring in a third, neutral, person to keep things on track and poilte. Then, decide if the two of you can work together to raise this puppy, and keep him for the rest of his life, or if he should be returned to his breeder. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Rosemary pretty much hit it on the head. Just dont wait and procrasitnate b/c the puppy will be the one paying the price. Set him up for success by finding a back with the breeder or new home (I dont know where this puppy came from) with someone who really wants him. Before he learns bad behaviors or OCD behaviors from being in a home that doesnt want him nor are willing to put in the time needed.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Make sure that your wife spends a lot of one on one time with the dog. If she feels it is your dog and it loves you more that her and that you give the dog more attention than her, then she will continue to be pissed. Be sure your wife has her own relationship with the dog and maybe she will find that bond.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I don't understand, what is not to love in a pup...but my wife grew up in a pet free home, as you quoted.
Re. - And for various reasons really:
a) dog smell
b) extra hair everywhere
c) dirty paw prints

Most dobes are a very clean, short haired dog, without a double coat...not like your typical snot-nosed kids, running around the neighbor hood.
a) & b) can be virtually solved with high quality food, without corn, chemicals & cheap fillers.
c) get in the habit of wiping the dog paws off with a wipe, while standing on a bath towel...if your yard is muddy.
- my dobe avoids getting dirty feet, she will even walk around a water puddle

Our house doesn't smell like a dog, at all / maybe it just smells a bit like a home !!

·
Crazy Pup
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all

Yeah, my wife and I have been discussing all of the above. This Dobe is more behaved than a new puppy too, she is a year old after all. She attended obedience training, so we are now working on fine tuning a lot of skills. I think with time, my wife will eventually bond with the dog. she has too, she will stay home with the dog all day. We have already been successful with the Crate training and continue to reenforce that. but, if I find out the dog was in the crate all day long just because my wife didn't want to deal with her; I will find the dog a new home. We are currently living in Germany (Army), and the Germans absolutely love their dogs, so it won't be hard to find the Dobe a great home with lots of running room. But for now, we are doing our best. we have a fenced in softball field right next to our house, so the Dobe gets tons of exercise. I will focus on training the wife a little more too. thanks everyone for your comments. I will keep on, keepin' on...:sweat:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
A couple things that can help. You can spritz off the dog with a spay of Listerine and Water 25/75 mix and wipe with a towel every few days. This will help keep them fresh smelling and I would brush outside to help reduce the hair. Some of it could just be from the stress of changing families.

Talk with your wife and ask her what things she thinks would make it easier for her. Show you want to HELP her not ciritize her. Get a ruby and put it by the door - when the dog comes in have her sit and wipe her feet. - NO PAW PRINTS>

ROSES and CHOCOLATE for the wife of course can help with a TU note for getting a dog.
If she can't fall in love then it is better to rehome the dog.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
I found that DH has done wonderfully with Gracie simply by immersing himself in learning positive training techniques. He adores her responsiveness, and it's built a bond between them that overshadows any inconvenient aspects of dog owership (like sock stealing, bed remaking, counter cruising, and getting up long before the humans think one ought).

I'd set your wife up with any simple marker or clicker training book, even a teach them tricks kind of one. Once you've seen how excited, happy, and responsive a dog is to reward based training, it's very addicting, I think.

This will also give her something specific to DO with the dog while you are at work.

I think it's hard to be upset with a dog that is staring at you like you are the Messiah, waiting for the next fun thing you're going to ask them to do.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
sounds like the mrs is trying to fill a void in her life and the poor puppy is a passing phase. Having a dog is a commitment, not unlike a human child. Except a dog is property and can be disposed of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts