Votes: 2 50.0%
  • USA dogshop classic no pull

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • USA dog shop freedom no pull

Votes: 0 0.0%

wich dog harness will work for my dog

10K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  R2reddobes 
#1 ·
Hi me and my wife love our Dobie lady she is a great dog just not great on the leash she cant stopp pulling i can control it just because im alot strong but when my wife walks her alone she pulls so hard she gets blisters on her hand. That being said i was wondering if either one one of these 3 dog harness might help or if any of you guys have used these harnesses the first one is at this link

WALK YOUR DOG WITH LOVE. THE BEST FRONT LEADING DOG HARNESS IN THE WORLD. It Is Time To Lead!

annd the second and 3rd choice is at this link

USA Dog Shop

#5 · (Edited)
#13 ·
This one you use looks like it hooks from the dog's back. The Sense-ation Harness hooks in front of the chest so you can distract/re-direct your dog. I believe the harness you like would cause the dog to want to pull more. The Sense-ation is better than the EasyWalk Harness because of the softer strap under the chest and 'armpits'.
To the OP - while my husband walks our dog on a flat collar and leash, the Sense-ation harness is my personal choice (also recommended by our behaviorist) and it reduces her power by about 30% when she gets aroused and wants to lunge. This way, I have control and am not stressed about her overpowering me. I also used treats to get her used to staying at my side and to focus on me every few seconds. I prefer this harness over the prong - and our behaviorist didn't want me to use the prong.

#7 ·
Join an obedience class and teach the dog to walk properly on a loose leash and collar. In the long run, you are not doing the dog any favors to let them continue to pull you around. It is just counter-intuitive to use a harness on a dog when you are already having a pulling problem. You simply do not have the control with any harness that you have with a collar.

#9 ·
I had lots of pulling problems with Bruno at first also. I was told by the trainer at the Humane Society not to use a harness on a working dog as they feel they are supposed to PULL when they wear it.
I began training Bruno on his choke chain in a proper manor and he no longer pulls. All you have to do is turn and walk in the opposite direction when he begins to pull. It may take days to get out of your drive way but it works!!

After you get him to follow you that way you can begin doing figure eights in the yard until he follows you. He will no longer be able to anticipate your next move and will then respect you as the lead. He is not doing that right now.

You can do this with a slip leash you can make out of clothes line if the budget is tight.

#10 ·
I have tried that before she just shrugs the choke chain off. I used to do this exceresice before my trainer from bark busters showed it to me. I think the problem started when it snowed real bad hear on the east cost so instead of walking out with my do everytime she had to do her buisness through a retractable leash. i belive she got used to pulling the lea

#11 ·
if the chain is the right size (only 2 inches of chain past the o ring when on the dog) and the chain is at the very top of the neck near the head, there is almost a 'slot' it fits into, the dog will not fight you.

the other thing to remember is; if a dog, once trained, no longer performs in the desired way, you have to take him/her back to kindergarden to start all over again.

I always think its funny when i see a doberman on a retractable leash!! LOL most times the dog is walking their person ;)

#16 ·
Oh wait..I forgot to ask. The gentle leader as I stated in my replay rubs Mari to bleed under one armpit and that I've had multiple trainers fit her but with no luck. Would it even be worth it to get the Sense-ation harness since the straps are softer under the armpits? I just don't have money to try and fail with a lot of things anymore.

#25 ·
That dangling bit of extra nylon strap at the front is the concerning difference, Boomee.

The videos on that site are...rather disheartening, too, as far as the use that is shown of the product.

Good luck, though, whatever you decide.

#26 ·
the walk your dog with love dog harness is superior

First- the kind of harnesses trainers DON’T recommend are harnesses that pull from behind. Pulling from behind just triggers the dog’s instinct to pull Think dog sled team. Walk Your Dog With Love, Sensation etc, are FRONT attached –totally different- the lead like horses are led. That is the way to walk any animal – training or not.
Second- nose attached harnesses work, yet they are cruel - they can hurt a dog’s neck and most dogs hate them.
Third - ANY collar or choker for walking is just not the friendly way to walk your best friend. A collar is where the name tag should be.
Third – I have used Walk Your Dog With Love, sensation and gentle leader. Walk Your Dog With Love is superior – it has less buckles and rings so it is not confusing, it doesn’t chafe and it rides high on the dogs chest for more control. Easy Walk and sensation actually un-size while you use them. Check out a comparison of them all here click here.
Four- No harness is training – that is something you must do on you own. If you care enough to do it. People want their dogs to be perfect ladies and gentleman and live up to some absurd standard of how they “should be”. A dog is a dog – they see squirrels and want to go after them. It is nice if you really work with your dog and have a relationship with it.
Five - Walk Your Dog With Love dog harnesses are also USA made, which is neat.

#28 ·
I had lots of pulling problems with Bruno at first also. I was told by the trainer at the Humane Society not to use a harness on a working dog as they feel they are supposed to PULL when they wear it.
I began training Bruno on his choke chain in a proper manor and he no longer pulls. All you have to do is turn and walk in the opposite direction when he begins to pull. It may take days to get out of your drive way but it works!!

After you get him to follow you that way you can begin doing figure eights in the yard until he follows you. He will no longer be able to anticipate your next move and will then respect you as the lead. He is not doing that right now.

You can do this with a slip leash you can make out of clothes line if the budget is tight.:badcomputer1:

#29 ·
Just bought a Gentle Lead for Sadie last night. She was constantly pulling and barking at anything and everything in training while using a harness. Trainer helped me put the gentle lead on her and wow, what a difference! Sadie hardly barked at all, didn't pull any where near as much AND, was actually able to be in the ring with the other dogs last night!! :huepfenicon111:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.