Votes: 2 50.0%
  • USA dog shop freedom no pull

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi me and my wife love our Dobie lady she is a great dog just not great on the leash she cant stopp pulling i can control it just because im alot strong but when my wife walks her alone she pulls so hard she gets blisters on her hand. That being said i was wondering if either one one of these 3 dog harness might help or if any of you guys have used these harnesses the first one is at this link

WALK YOUR DOG WITH LOVE. THE BEST FRONT LEADING DOG HARNESS IN THE WORLD. It Is Time To Lead!

annd the second and 3rd choice is at this link

USA Dog Shop

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Join an obedience class and teach the dog to walk properly on a loose leash and collar. In the long run, you are not doing the dog any favors to let them continue to pull you around. It is just counter-intuitive to use a harness on a dog when you are already having a pulling problem. You simply do not have the control with any harness that you have with a collar.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Join an obedience class and teach the dog to walk properly on a loose leash and collar. In the long run, you are not doing the dog any favors to let them continue to pull you around. It is just counter-intuitive to use a harness on a dog when you are already having a pulling problem. You simply do not have the control with any harness that you have with a collar.
unfourtunatly right now that is out of the question i have been laid off recently and finacially we are barely making it actually buying the collor is a splurge

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had lots of pulling problems with Bruno at first also. I was told by the trainer at the Humane Society not to use a harness on a working dog as they feel they are supposed to PULL when they wear it.
I began training Bruno on his choke chain in a proper manor and he no longer pulls. All you have to do is turn and walk in the opposite direction when he begins to pull. It may take days to get out of your drive way but it works!!

After you get him to follow you that way you can begin doing figure eights in the yard until he follows you. He will no longer be able to anticipate your next move and will then respect you as the lead. He is not doing that right now.

You can do this with a slip leash you can make out of clothes line if the budget is tight.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had lots of pulling problems with Bruno at first also. I was told by the trainer at the Humane Society not to use a harness on a working dog as they feel they are supposed to PULL when they wear it.
I began training Bruno on his choke chain in a proper manor and he no longer pulls. All you have to do is turn and walk in the opposite direction when he begins to pull. It may take days to get out of your drive way but it works!!

After you get him to follow you that way you can begin doing figure eights in the yard until he follows you. He will no longer be able to anticipate your next move and will then respect you as the lead. He is not doing that right now.

You can do this with a slip leash you can make out of clothes line if the budget is tight.
I have tried that before she just shrugs the choke chain off. I used to do this exceresice before my trainer from bark busters showed it to me. I think the problem started when it snowed real bad hear on the east cost so instead of walking out with my do everytime she had to do her buisness through a retractable leash. i belive she got used to pulling the lea

·
Registered
13 Posts
if the chain is the right size (only 2 inches of chain past the o ring when on the dog) and the chain is at the very top of the neck near the head, there is almost a 'slot' it fits into, the dog will not fight you.

the other thing to remember is; if a dog, once trained, no longer performs in the desired way, you have to take him/her back to kindergarden to start all over again.

I always think its funny when i see a doberman on a retractable leash!! LOL most times the dog is walking their person ;)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I personally would not put any harness on my dog that restricts the shoulder. Therefore, I use the Walkeez Fleece-lined Harness

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfmfuseaction=product.display&product_id=1699
This one you use looks like it hooks from the dog's back. The Sense-ation Harness hooks in front of the chest so you can distract/re-direct your dog. I believe the harness you like would cause the dog to want to pull more. The Sense-ation is better than the EasyWalk Harness because of the softer strap under the chest and 'armpits'.
To the OP - while my husband walks our dog on a flat collar and leash, the Sense-ation harness is my personal choice (also recommended by our behaviorist) and it reduces her power by about 30% when she gets aroused and wants to lunge. This way, I have control and am not stressed about her overpowering me. I also used treats to get her used to staying at my side and to focus on me every few seconds. I prefer this harness over the prong - and our behaviorist didn't want me to use the prong.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
This one you use looks like it hooks from the dog's back. The Sense-ation Harness hooks in front of the chest so you can distract/re-direct your dog. I believe the harness you like would cause the dog to want to pull more. The Sense-ation is better than the EasyWalk Harness because of the softer strap under the chest and 'armpits'.
To the OP - while my husband walks our dog on a flat collar and leash, the Sense-ation harness is my personal choice (also recommended by our behaviorist) and it reduces her power by about 30% when she gets aroused and wants to lunge. This way, I have control and am not stressed about her overpowering me. I also used treats to get her used to staying at my side and to focus on me every few seconds. I prefer this harness over the prong - and our behaviorist didn't want me to use the prong.
Wow, I am surprised to see all the misinformation/misunderstanding about harnesses on this thread.

Just as there are many, many different types of collars, with different designs and functions, so there are in harnesses.

While SOME harnesses indeed do encourage the dog's innate opposition reflex, and make it easier for him to pull against us, the Sensation, Sense-ible, and EasyWalk harnesses all do a great job of redirecting the force of a dog's pulling, making it safer for the handler/trainer to work with the dog on loose lead training.

It's safer for *both* human and dog, humane, effective, and generally much more enjoyable, and eliminates the perceived need for leash pops.

What's the old saying? Train now or forever hold your leash...

And one of the things I always teach my students--the more you use your leash for cues, the less you'll ever be able to do without it.

The no-pull harnesses are also great just for recreational walks so you can safely manage your dog's pulling while getting them some exercise. They are absolutely NOT a training tool, but rather a management tool, and you still have to train loose-lead walking skills into your dog, but they immediately mitigate a potentially dangerous problem and allow for training to occur in a less stressful situation.

Edit: OP, I forgot to say that bunch of trainer friends of mine and I reviewed the first harness you listed, and we all agreed the dangling strip of nylon at the front didn't make much sense to us, in either form or function, and that it might even be a safety hazard.

I think the Sense-ible harness fits most dogs great and is considered one of the best choices, esp. for the money, as they are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hi me and my wife love our Dobie lady she is a great dog just not great on the leash she cant stopp pulling i can control it just because im alot strong but when my wife walks her alone she pulls so hard she gets blisters on her hand. That being said i was wondering if either one one of these 3 dog harness might help or if any of you guys have used these harnesses the first one is at this link

WALK YOUR DOG WITH LOVE. THE BEST FRONT LEADING DOG HARNESS IN THE WORLD. It Is Time To Lead!

annd the second and 3rd choice is at this link

USA Dog Shop

The harnesses that hook in the front (gentle leader or sense-ation) work wonders. I can't use them on my current dobes though. I had multiple people fit her and it always rubbed her to bleed under one armpit. Sucks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Oh wait..I forgot to ask. The gentle leader as I stated in my replay rubs Mari to bleed under one armpit and that I've had multiple trainers fit her but with no luck. Would it even be worth it to get the Sense-ation harness since the straps are softer under the armpits? I just don't have money to try and fail with a lot of things anymore.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh wait..I forgot to ask. The gentle leader as I stated in my replay rubs Mari to bleed under one armpit and that I've had multiple trainers fit her but with no luck. Would it even be worth it to get the Sense-ation harness since the straps are softer under the armpits? I just don't have money to try and fail with a lot of things anymore.
is it possible that you just the harness on too tight or even is there a way to put some padding in there ?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The Easy Walk (I believe you are calling it the gentle leader)uses the same type of strap in the entire harness whereas the Sense-ation harness has a softer strap across the chest. Like I said, I use a M/L3 for my 67# female. I don't have it too tight but if it is too loose, it will drop too low in front. Have the store person fit it for your dog (hopefully they know what they are doing). Because I don't keep it really snug across the chest, I do hold the leash so that it doesn't drop in front. It works well and she walks well and I think it IS worth the money. Also, the M/L is narrower than the larger size so maybe it also doesn't rub as much. Something else you might try is to sew a little tube-shaped thing with polar fleece of something soft and kind of thick to cover the strap which is rubbing the one armpit.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
On the Sensible and Sensation harnesses, there is more room for adjustment. (However, I like where the buckles are better on the EasyWalk).

Before you buy a new harness...Try flipping your EasyWalk upside down, put the belly strap across her withers instead of under the belly.

On many dogs, the chest strap doesn't ride so low that way, and it also helps with it sliding around and riding forward behind the front legs.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
A dog needs to be taught to walk properly on a leash in a collar first. I had the Easy Walk Harness that hooks in the front and gave it away because I did not like the way it fit and I do not want anything constricting my dogs shoulders.

I had both of my knees replaced and MUST have adequate control of my dog on walks. This harness works for me and she is very good in it. I cannot explain why it lessons the pulling but it has something to do with the design which is European. I do not use a prong collar but I do use a ComfortFlex Collar and a loose lead. ComfortFlex Limited Slip Dog Collar, Soft Martingale Dog Collar

1 - 20 of 30 Posts