Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with my male Dobe. If is get colder then about -10 celcius out he will not ask to go out , he will go to the breezeway and poop on the floor there. I do believe it is because he doesn't want to go out in the cold. He did this twice yesterday and after much shaming he asked to go out in the middle of the night and I praised him like crazy for it.

He knows he is bad, he knows he will get in trouble but he does it anyways. He is 5 years old he does know better.

Anyone else have this issue ? It is just him my female asks to go out, she doesn't like the cold either but at least she asks and will go out to do her business.

Suggestions ?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't have any suggestions. Because my Bruno is pretty much the same. Although he WILL go outside to go. Sometimes he won't. We'll take him out (even if he doesn't have to go. Since he's a puppy we just randomly bring him out) and he'll pee, but he won't poop (sometimes). Once he's inside and ONLY If the bedroom doors are open. He'll pick a room and go in there. KNOWING he isn't suppose too. Because he does ask also to go out most of the time. But he knows when it's too cold outside he won't have it. I dunno what to do about it. I'm just hoping summer spring comes soon!! lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so I am not alone here. Good but NOT good. So how do we fix it ?:thinking:

I am hoping for warmer weather too. We have actually had it pretty easy this winter. Hopefully that trend contunues and this is not a big issue all winter.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Does he go out in the cold alone? I make it a habit to go out with my girl when she goes out for the potty breaks. That way, she goes because I am doing the potty song for her. If I let it up to her, she would not go out in the rain or cold weather, but with me out there with her, she goes and everything is fine.

With pooping, It seems she has a regular schedule for that. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Occasionally she adds another pooping time to the schedule but not very often. Since we got her, I tried to set her schedule for potty breaks, which seems to be working for us. Maybe a nice jacket to wear will make it alittle more tolerable to be out in the cold...

·
Registered
953 Posts
We always take Bruno out with with us. We don't ever let him out alone. So we wait and wait and he just holds it in. Then does it as soon as we get inside (unless the doors are closed. I have found he WILL come and ask to go out if the doors are closed). He doesn't do it ALL the time. Only when it's really really cold out. Which like Dobified said we've also had a mild winter so far. Bruno does enjoy going out in the cold when he knows he gets to go for a run tho ;) Tricky little guy.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I have found that if you take the poop that they did in the house, and put it outside it helps.
I have done this will all my puppies and it helped alot. Even after they have pooped in the house, show them it, NO NO bad Dog, Outside go Potty, take the poop outside and show the dog. Let them sniff it and leave it there. they will get the hint.
If our dogs have to go and they only pee, I tell them No when they want to go back in the house and then tell them go more potty. As they are going, I tell them go potty go potty, when them are finished they get a Good Dog Good Potty and a treat! it has worked for us! Good Luck! and keep your guard up.. It the dog takes off and starts to sniff around then they have to go and should be put outside right then, and told to go Potty!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
:dancing_b "Potty Song" :dancing_b ..... You are entertainment all by yourself Kratty!

I'd try putting a coat on him, maybe even boots, maybe his feet are uncomfortable in the snow. And go out with him all the time. Worth a try right?

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Yeah, you should see the looks I get out in public when I do this......I think it freaks them out more than my girl being a doberman.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rudy knows to ask, he just doesn't want to go out in the cold, and who can blame him really? It is only when it is really cold. He likes going out in the cold if it is not too bad, he has a doggie coat. :)

We do for the most part go out with him, but I am not getting all dressed up in the middle of the night to go out with him:D, he knows he is bad when he does it.

Dobes are not cold weather dogs, who can blame them but I just want him to stop, we cam be only ten feet away from him and in the other room when he goes adn does this. Shaming works to a degree.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts