Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soooo sick of this question! I was at a party last night and again....several people asked this in horror! People think that they are just attack dogs and really dislike them. It makes me even more adamant to train my boy well and show the world that Dobermans are the best dogs out there. Why are they always Golden Retriever owners too??? They all think that all dogs should be a GR...they are the best breed out there?! Grrrrrrr

oxc

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I unfortunately can relate from similar experiences, it is sad, and definitely a clouded one sided picture when talking to people of that mentality. For example, I know a couple with a small dog and it has bitten at least ten times, and my dog never not once and they are scared of mine go figure!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I hear ya, too, Carol. I tell them that I want a dog that will do something for me. I had a Golden and we got robbed 3 times!! I also tell them that dobermans were bred for Protection AND Companionship!! They also are highly valued for their intelligence. I also tell people that I like having a dog that will follow me around the house, but will protect me if I ever were attacked. Just my two cents....

·
Registered
73 Posts
AMEN!!! I was walking Rocco at a man asked if he was friendly!!! I said of course he is!!. Then he said,"you know what happens to them, don't cha?" Their brains get too big for their head and they go crazy". I looked at him like he were nuts. And explained to him that he was misinformed. I wanted to say, "your an idiot!" I also said that Dobermans are intelligent, companions, guard dogs and absolutely gorgeous and I expressed that I was sorry that he couldn't handle one! LOL

·
Registered
928 Posts
Working at the pet store I often bring dozer up and I'm amazed at how many people have had dobermans in the past.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I don't mind when people say this to us now. It just shows how closed minded they are. These are the pet owners we don't want owning one anyway. They would just contribute to this hype but not properly doing the things needed for a doberman.

Plus it keeps the secret safe of how great, goofy and adorable these guys are. Don't want too many folks knowing that, then everyone would want one then and we saw what happened when they we all the rage before.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you are right about that Kratty! I for one can't imagine EVER owning a lab or a Golden. Most of my friends who have big dogs...have one or the other. I've always marched to a different drummer, and this is just one more thing that makes me different.

Carol

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
You really don`t want dobermans to be the popular breed. If they were they would really be over-bred. As it is there are too many backyard breeders for the dobe. So I`m going to keep it a secret. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't mind when people say this to us now. It just shows how closed minded they are. These are the pet owners we don't want owning one anyway. They would just contribute to this hype but not properly doing the things needed for a doberman.

Plus it keeps the secret safe of how great, goofy and adorable these guys are. Don't want too many folks knowing that, then everyone would want one then and we saw what happened when they we all the rage before.
Thats a very good point. The PitBull has kinda taken over the role of the Doberman and Rottweiler this decade. So many of them are being poorly bred. You can get them for like $50-100 in the inner city. Sadly, it is completly ruining that wonderful breed. Hopefully, they can make a nice comeback one day.

·
I Art Therefore I Am
3,813 Posts
I am soooo sick of this question! I was at a party last night and again....several people asked this in horror! People think that they are just attack dogs and really dislike them. It makes me even more adamant to train my boy well and show the world that Dobermans are the best dogs out there. Why are they always Golden Retriever owners too??? They all think that all dogs should be a GR...they are the best breed out there?! Grrrrrrr

oxc

It IS annoying. Although, in my case, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that we have a Dobe that isn't the proper temperment and therefore doesn't really help debunk the stereotype. :(

·
Registered
463 Posts
Even my family was hesitant about me getting a Dobe. I pretty much told them to shove it. They are my family after all. I said I'd prove them wrong and then they will look like the fools.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Even my family was hesitant about me getting a Dobe. I pretty much told them to shove it. They are my family after all. I said I'd prove them wrong and then they will look like the fools.
haha, ditto for me :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
My reply is that because Dobes are the most loving and devoted dogs I have ever known and that nothing else can compare and I usually get a dumb look in return :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
ignorance

You can ask this question about many other 'controversial' subjects anywhere from Dobes, Pitts, Presa Canarios, Guns, Hunting, Eating meat, wearing fur, teaching your kids to shoot and hunt, etc...... But it's all about education. Before I got my first Dobe 20 years ago I didn't know half the things that make them the incredible dogs that they are but I learned.

These people are closed minded and only go by the myths that are out there. They won't take the time to learn the truth so they believe all the crap that's out there about Dobes. My wife thought the same thing about their brains and I laughed out loud about that. I told her about how great family dogs they are and she sees Princess out there playing with the kids and being affectionate with them.

We'll always get those questions because people are either raised that way or learn it from their friends but we have to just continue spreading the word. I can say that ALOT of people now know more about Dobes and how loving they are because of me. Ex-girlfriends, cousins, Uncles/Aunts, friends, coworkers, a lot of people because I either tell them or they have seen my Dobes. At first being scared, then realizing she is just another fun loving dog with a good temperament.

It's all about how we raise our Dobes and how we educate others. Spread the word and do your part. This incredibly beautiful, intelligent, classy, and loyal breed deserves it!

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
LOL I was in line for the ferry on Friday and a lady was telling me about the lock jaw on pits (my first dog) and about the exploding brains of the dobes! I actually for once was very calm and told her all myth! She was quite responsive and then asked me a pile of questions, later thanked me for the education! More often than not I give sarcastic answers well cause that's the way I am! LOL

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've had a great deal of questioning about Ari as well, but what I usually tell people is that with any dog, you get out of it what you put in. So my dog may be well-behaved, but that had nothing to do with her breed and everything to do with what we did with her to help her become a great dog. Then I tell them that, breed-specific, Dobes have an amazing aptitude for learning (ha, I wonder why nobody walks around spreading the myth that because humans have disproportionally HUGE brains compared to their bodies, their heads will explode!), and they seem to need a great deal of exercise, so someone not willing to be with them alllllll the time and exercising EVERY day probably shouldn't own one. Ari gets into a LOT of trouble if we leave her unsupervised because she gets bored and FINDS things to do.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts