Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
does my lil boy have to go through this....i feel so bad!!!! I'm really not happy with whats been going on at the vets office where i got Capones ears done...

My gf and capone just left the vet. They were treating him for an infection he got on the top of his head because of an allergic reaction to the tape they used on the cup....We were told on monday not to touch his head or clean the pus, just to leave it alone and give him his antibiotics. It seems like that was the wrong thing to do because it only made it harder to remove the dry pus. They had to comb out all the dry pus and this left his head really raw. they weren't able to put the cup back on his head...they said we have to treat his head with a lot of neosporin and to clean it with warm water and alcohol. the neosporin sounds right but wouldnt the warm water and alcohol cause a lot of pain??? i feel like nothin is going right at this point...i hope his head heals fast so that we can start posting next week. I am extreeeeeemmmmmllllleeeeeeeyyyyyy frustrated and sad that my pup has to go through this... :mad:

is his coat ever going to be the same in the effected area???

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
What a mess- it is why good breeders to the people who are not experienced on how to avoid these problems don't get stuck with a mess. Yes his head will heal. Ears might not stand depending on how long they leave them down.

Alcohol will help to dry up everything and the warm water will dilute it a little.

Good luck - so sorry to hear you are having this experience. Have you talked to your breeder???? They should help you.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Get something straight that ain't going to heal by next week and you especially do not want to force it. People post ears for upwards to a year, so a couple of weeks is not worth stressing over. If you continue stressing over it, he will get a complex and start stressing and scratching it. This will compound the posting as he will reject those and continuously try removing them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i personally wanted to take care of the ears because i have heard so many good things about this vet through DT...the problem isn't in the crop itself, and i do understand that the vet has nothing to do with the fact that the dog had an allergic reaction to the tape that they used...but i am upset about them not telling us to clean the infection and to not let the pus dry...

i am taking capone to another vet tomorrow that is highly recommended by a lot of other dog owners...just to check out his infection...

capone is currently on amoxicillin...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would definitely not use the alcohol, it is very drying and does not promote healing, quite the opposite (I work in a hospital) Aloe gel might help with healing, we did this for Sarge and it didn't burn him, and its not toxic either. Good choice taking your pup to a new vet. His coat should heal, Sarge lost all of the hair on his ears when we removed the tape, and it grew back great.
Good Luck, and ultimately if his ears aren't "perfect" you'll still love the little bugger.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
of course i will...i just really want this infection to heal and make sure that the tape that was used will NEVER EVER be used on my pup again...

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
of course i will...i just really want this infection to heal and make sure that the tape that was used will NEVER EVER be used on my pup again...
Just note the name of the tape and if you change doctors ensure they are aware of this. Also if you stay with the current vet, just keep the name of the tape to remind them in the future, if it ever has to be used for anything... Then you have done your due diligence.

Can't wait to see Capone with his ears posted! :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I asked my wife and showed her the photo (poor soul):
You want to soothe and clean the ears right now and get the poison out, and leave them less itcky...NO Alcohol needed.

She suggested:
- bathe in Epson Salts mixed in water (ratio on package)...remoive the toxins, without the sting associated with Alcohol
- followed by neosporin cream (would be fine)
Leave them uncovered to heal up much faster, in the open air.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I asked my wife and showed her the photo (poor soul):
You want to soothe and clean the ears right now and get the poison out, and leave them less itcky...NO Alcohol needed.

She suggested:
- bathe in Epson Salts mixed in water (ratio on package)...remoive the toxins, without the sting associated with Alcohol
- followed by neosporin cream (would be fine)
Leave them uncovered to heal up much faster, in the open air.
Epsom salts will sting just as much as alcohol. There is no poison to draw out, it's an infection due to an allergic reaction to the tape. The only treatment to get rid of infection is antibiotics and to clean the area with soap and water.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I agree to try another vet. Had I not gone to a vet, I would use nothing but cotton balls or a soft clean wash cloth soaked in warm water. Dab, don't rub. This will take a while, maybe 10 or so minutes while he's squirming. If you can't get all the scabs off in one sitting, do it a couple of times per day. Give him good treats while you are doing it, play with him. Then use Neosporin. No alcohol nothing but warm water. The vet will probably leave him on the antibiotics in case an infection persists. Don't worry about his ears standing. If you are as diligent about posting as you are about making sure he sees the right vet, his ears should be fine. Definitely don't fret and give him a complex--or yourself. Get the infection cleaned and then post. Make sure the edges where his ears were trimmed are not scabbing and puckering. Use the same warm cotton balls and Neosporin on the edges.

Have a glass of wine for yourself and good goodies for him. I think it'll be ok.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Epsom salts will sting just as much as alcohol. There is no poison to draw out, it's an infection due to an allergic reaction to the tape. The only treatment to get rid of infection is antibiotics and to clean the area with soap and water.
Soap and water to cleanse the wound, and topical treatment of Neosporin and let air dry. Neosporin is great stuff and especially for itching. I know, it works great on tattoos and that's a kazillion needle holes on my skin. LOL
Let nature take over.

Reactions: mpalacios1331

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Soap and water to cleanse the wound, and topical treatment of Neosporin and let air dry. Neosporin is great stuff and especially for itching. I know, it works great on tattoos and that's a kazillion needle holes on my skin. LOL
Let nature take over.
Not to de rail the thread, but when I used neosporin on my second tattoo it bled out the ink! Now I have to get it re done :(

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Oops side track... My old geezer tat guy has me using it religiously for 3-4 days, then switch off to Lubriderm but if the itching intensifies again, a dab of neo lightly. Personally I think who lays the ink, is a major factor with bleed out. I had one tat done years ago and the guy basically did it too hard and it was bleeding more than normal and after it healed it was all washed out. Even my guy now, after seeing it, said whoever did it must have butchered me. Hehehe.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
that does look sore. poor little guy.

hopefully the tissue damage is not too deep..........if so it should heal OK as long as it is clean and dry.

please keep us updated.

hugz to your little one.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
As nasty as his head looks, the hair should come back in okay. Once the area is all healed, you can rub vitamin E into it to keep the area soft.

I would definitely find out what kind of tape caused this reaction and be sure to let any other vets know about his severe allergy. Another thing I would do once you start posting would be to use as little tape as possible to post the ears with and monitor the ears very, very closely and watch for any sign of adverse reaction.

Good Luck with your pupper and don't stress too much about his ears not being on a cup and just hanging, you have plenty of time to post them once the ears themselves are healed and the stitches are out.

Jan

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
aww poor baby, im sorry you have to go through that. Hmm my vet told me not to use LOTS neosporin as it could do the opposite effect of what it is suppose to do. So I would double check with that just to be safe. I was told to use enough to have a thin layer over the effected area.

I guess having to much neosporin if used everyday all day can hinder the healing process for the pup, something like that. So just double check, I hope your pup heals up fast.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update on Capone...

Decided not to take him back to Dr. Jezberas office. Took him in to see a recommended vet in my area. Dr. Goraya and his staff are 100x times more helpful and knowledgeable. We were told to treat his infection with neosporin and bactine. In just 2 days there is a MAJOR difference!!!!! infection doesnt look raw at all!!!

Dr. Goraya did say that the crop was nice but the aftercare of the infection from the tape was not correct. I do realize allergic reactions happen and they are totally out of the vets hands, but its how u treat the infection that matters.

Problem #1: Jezbera precribed amoxicillin...Goraya said that cephalexin is much better for skin infections.

Problem #2: When we went in the day that the infection appeared we were told not to clean the infection, just to give him the antibiotic and he would be cleaned up by them in 2-3 days...RESULT: Pus got hard and infection continued under dried pus.

Problem #3: We took him back to get cleaned up and they didn't even clean everything off...they said it was too hard for them to take off...then we were told to clean the wound with alcohol and warm water.

Problem #4: We called Jezbera back and told him what his staff informed us to do and he said, oh no they shouldnt have told you to use alcohol. he also gave us some attitude.

I am not knocking Dr. Jezbera's crop. He does reeeaaaallly good work. I have seen plenty of nice crops, actually went to him because DT members referred me to him, but i am knocking his staff and they way they handled the infection caused by the tape they used on the cup. Because of this i have to spend more money on taking the stitches out at another vets office. Maybe it was just my bad luck. I do know that ALOT of Dobes are taken to him and he is a very reputable Vet to some people on DT.

I just wanted to share my experience so that some people can be aware of Jezberas staff. Also, i have seen pics of Dr. Gorayas crops and they are beautiful. He truly does an amazing job. Pico Rivera Animal Hospital, Pico Rivera, CA (Los Angeles Area)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts