Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
so i was just browsing the doberman puppies on the akc marketplace and there is someone who has listed an upcoming litter of white dobermans. what i dont understand is how this is being allowed to be listed on the akc marketplace given that white dobermans are not an allowed color and because of the obvious health problems they have.

EDITED -- photo removed by moderators***

·
Extraordimary
5,011 Posts
They can be AKC registered (unfortunately) if from AKC registered parents, but they are not allowed to be shown in conformation. It sucks, but otoh, it's no different (in a way) from registering a dog with any other disqualifying fault. This is why we often tell people that AKC marketplace is not a good place to look for a well-bred puppy from a responsible breeder. They are going to advertise any registered litter regardless of quality. Registration does not equal quality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They can be AKC registered (unfortunately) if from AKC registered parents, but they are not allowed to be shown in conformation. It sucks, but otoh, it's no different (in a way) from registering a dog with any other disqualifying fault. This is why we often tell people that AKC marketplace is not a good place to look for a well-bred puppy from a responsible breeder. They are going to advertise any registered litter regardless of quality. Registration does not equal quality.
Wondering,does that include fawn and blue dobermans?

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
The AKC marketplace is a terrible place to look for any dog, regardless of breed or color.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don’t really mind an accidental white Doberman that no one knew was gonna happen or bred for, but PURPOSELY breeding for them?! That’s horrible.

·
Premium Member
11,143 Posts
Wondering,does that include fawn and blue dobermans?
Fawn and Blue are allowed colors in the Doberman (they are simply dilutions of red and black. But the AKC marketplace is not where I would look for a puppy of any color. And the only way I'd have an albino (aka white) Dobe would be if it came to a rescue and needed a home and was spayed or neutered.

dobebug

·
Premium Member
11,143 Posts
I don’t really mind an accidental white Doberman that no one knew was gonna happen or bred for, but PURPOSELY breeding for them?! That’s horrible.
There should never be an "accidental" white Doberman any more. All those descended from the first registered albino Doberman (Shebah) will have a registration number starting with WZ and you can avoid albino puppy by not breeding two WZ registered dogs and even better NEVER breeding any WZ registered dog or bitch without doing a genetic test (now avalable) to make sure they do not carry the gene for albinism.

dobebug

·
Registered
151 Posts
There should never be an "accidental" white Doberman any more. All those descended from the first registered albino Doberman (Shebah) will have a registration number starting with WZ and you can avoid albino puppy by not breeding two WZ registered dogs and even better NEVER breeding any WZ registered dog or bitch without doing a genetic test (now avalable) to make sure they do not carry the gene for albinism.

dobebug
…..then why don’t breeders do this???!!! That’s an easy fix 🙄

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Because money.

The people producing them have zero ethics.

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
…..then why don’t breeders do this???!!! That’s an easy fix 🙄
No reputable breeder would ever breed a litter with albinos in it because we would not breed any Doberman with a "Z" in its registration.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,152 Posts
The only requirements for someone to advertise on the AKC marketplace are that they not have their privileges suspended and that the dogs are AKC registered. Beyond that, it doesn't matter if they meet the breed standard, or come from titled and health tested parents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ah thank you. i had no idea. i guess i expected the akc to do some "quality control"

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
those poor puppies. thats just wrong
The people producing them literally do not care. They see "rare color" and go hog wild.

ah thank you. i had no idea. i guess i expected the akc to do some "quality control"
The Z designation on the registration and banning them from the breed ring is the most they'd bend for the breed club. AKC is primarily a business, and they need to make money.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,751 Posts
And to be fair, it would be hard for them to come up with a way to weed out good versus bad breeders--I mean where should they draw the line?

It is easier for them to say that the dogs must be registered and the breeder not suspended, and then let the buyer beware. If only it were plain to people that just being listed on the AKC breeders list isn't a good enough reason to pick a breeder.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,152 Posts
And to be fair, it would be hard for them to come up with a way to weed out good versus bad breeders--I mean where should they draw the line?
Yes. Something that one person thinks is a perfectly acceptable breeding practice is a deal breaker for someone else.

·
Super Moderator
22,678 Posts
Just a note that we've removed the photo...we can certainly discuss the topic without providing advertising for the breeder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts