Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, if your dog has all its vaccines, rabies shots, bordatella, parvo shots, etc, why is it recommended NOT to take your pup to the dog park until 6 months of age? My boy is dying to get out there and play with other pups and I'd love to get him socializing and burning energy as much as possible. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
My boy is dying to get out there and play with other pups and I'd love to get him socializing and burning energy as much as possible. .
There are better safer ways to burn energy in your Doberman.

Male Dobes and dog parks, not a good match. I am not a fan of dog parks period.

Better match, private play dates of dogs you know with owners you know well, puppy kindergarten, or a good doggie daycare.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Reactions: rj1204

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Do a search here about dog parks. Dog Parks = Trouble.

I only go when our Dobermans United group is out there since I trust all of our members to be responsible and we screen our doggie members.

Playdates are wonderful!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
the recommendation is based on the dangers of dog parks, probably. Chances are if you have access to a nice, controlled park, everything would be fine. However, it just takes that one time and puppies are more vulnerable to being traumatized - just one time of being attacked by an older dog. It's a gamble. It took me until Quincy was almost two and attacked three times before I 'got it'. We dont' go to dog parks anymore. Quincy is intact, so it makes it more problematic.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I know exactly what you guys are talking about. I understand the dangers and I am looking for that nice park that isn't just a fenced in area. I want to socialize my dog and unfortunetely, most of my wife and my friends have small dogs. When I lived in Austin, TX, I was at Petsmart and I "overheard" a lady telling another lady about a dog park in the area. I had lived there for a year and never heard anything about this dog park.......Bull Creek Dog Park.......just 2 miles from my place! I've attached a couple of pics of this "dog park" and this is more of what I am talking about. I probably will never find another one like it, at least not in Texas.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Hey RJ, that place looks extremly similar to the place I was telling you about in the other thread! I think this place is called Shiloh Park in Garland. It's on Shiloh and Arapaho, you should check that place out. =)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My biggest concern with dog parks is the stupid owner factor. I've have run into far too many dimwitted poor excuses for human beings who allow thier fluffykins to do what ever it is they please no discipline no structure. A puppy can be easily intimidated at that young age and become dog aggressive later. People just don't always take care of their dogs they way that we do and at the end of the day no matter who started it the Doberman is ALWAYS at fault. I avoid dog parks like the plague! Find play dates Dobie meetups or supervised free play groups. I train too hard to let some idiot's dog take mine out of commission due to a dog fight and lack of supervision.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Let me know if you find a great dog park in the DFW area that is asshat free. I'll be the first in line. :poster_stupid:

I'm excited about doberfest tomorrow to meet some cool dobe owners to maybe line up some play dates with Wyatt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.