Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, anyone else have this problem? We were out for a nice walk Sunday morning, a block from the house, this kid rounds the corner on his scooter with his unleashed dog behind him. Dog sees Alex and runs up to him. My hubby holds Alex close to him and Alex wants to play, tail wagging and in a play position. Then this dog, half his size, starts to fight so Alex says FU and fights back. Meantime I'm walking Suzy trying to get away closer to home but this dog sees her and makes a beeline for us. Suzy starts barking and then I hear yelping so I think she's been bit. I rush to cover her, dog still barking, hubby yelling at this dumb kid to get his dog.

Now hubby says we've not going out again, can't even walk our dogs. I say BS, this is my neighborhood, we were on a leash and attacked by this dog - not the other way around - we're going for round 2 with Roxy & Suzy, this time with a large stick.

Then the Doberman gets a bad rap because some stupid owner lets their dog roam the neighborhood to pick a fight with other dogs. Sheesh.

I was so proud of Alex though, we even went to Petsmart later that day and this little Boston Terrier inches boldly closer to him and Alex was so friendly, sniffing and wagging his tail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im sorry to hear that you had such a bad time! I would check about the leash laws in your community and next time it happens either go tell the kids parents or call the police. In my community if a dog is off of its leash and not in a fenced yard the police are called right away. There is no reason your pups should do without walks or be in danger!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Off leash dogs are a huge pet peeve of mine. I really shouldn't get started on it because it gets me so aggravated but I can't stand when I'm walking Ava(on lead) and some jerk with an off leash Golden or Lab lets them come bounding up to Ava, dispite me yelling for them to get their dog. It drives me nuts to hear 'oh he's friendly' or 'she just wants to say hi'. Well my dog doesn't want to say hi to your dog and she doesn't take kindly to a strange dog rushing up to her and sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. The sad part is, I walk in an area with there is a leash law and 9 out of 10 dogs are not leashed.... Quite often these people don't even carry leashes with them.

Sometimes I wish they'd make a dog park around here so all the people who want to let their dogs run free like fools can have a place to meet others like them. Maybe then Ava and I can enjoy a peaceful walk in the woods again.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have the same problem. My neiabor lets his dog out front to use the restroom and he doesn't stay out there with his dog and then he grips about my dog barking. I called the police on him because we have a leash law here so he got a pretty little ticket. LOL

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
It drives me nuts in our neighbourhood too. I would definetely call the police next time it happens. If anything they will at least put the scare in the parents (hopefully) to keep their animal under control. We offer everyone else that curtesy, and our neighbors owe it to us too.

On another note, great for Alex! He acted like a real doberman! Was fine until the situation turned ugly and he adjusted himself for the situation! And great that he was dog friendly later!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Oh man, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. People in my neighborhood are just plain ignorant. i have had to literally pick king up because a dog is running at him and barking. the last thing i need is a fight, king kills the other dog, and he has to be put down. There are two people in particular that do it all the time, and the third person finally got a leash because i flipped on him.
the other two continue to let their dog off leash and cause havok around the neighborhood. both dogs are dog agressive, which is what blows my mind. The one down the hallway from me is a pain in the ass. I havent seen it for a few days, but i told the lady that next time that dog coems at king, im not picking him up. she wasnt too happy about that, but its not my responsibility.

Even if my dog was the perfect dog, not people agressive, and not dog agressive, i still wouldnt let him off leash unless in a designated area. The reason for that is, my dog may be safe, but their dog might not be.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Yep you hit a nerve for me also.

Just last week Takira and I were on walk around the neighborhood when we made the turn around the block I could see a few houses up a dog in the frony yard with a small child there either petting or holding it. I couldnt tell right away if the dog was on a lead or not so I decided to play it safe and cross the street just incase. Well of course as we pass the house from the OTHER side of the street the dog notices us and takes off like a bat out of hell damm near ripping the kids arm off with her. I shouted out who's dog but it only took a second before the dog was over to us, I stopped so Takira automatically went into a seated position and this dog proceeded to sniff, bark, and run circles around us while we just looked on. Finally some woman came across the street to get the dog and I said to her "Hey wheres your leesh?" she replies it's okay she is a good dog and is under my control. I almost lost it, I said under your control? The dog darted across the street and nearly took off your kids arm while doing it and you say it is under control? Well I guess she didnt like that much...lol She then said not for me to worry about it she will take care of it as she started dragging the obviously untrained and overly excited dog back across the street by her choker collar! I told her that if her dog ever came charging at me or my dog again I was going to kick the dog square in the chops next time. I got the evil eye for that one. :D

TD

·
Registered
365 Posts
Dobe_Paws said:
It drives me nuts to hear 'oh he's friendly' or 'she just wants to say hi'. Well my dog doesn't want to say hi to your dog and she doesn't take kindly to a strange dog rushing up to her and sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. The sad part is, I walk in an area with there is a leash law and 9 out of 10 dogs are not leashed.... Quite often these people don't even carry leashes with them.
So this is an international problem eh?

In the past I've always been "nice" to these type of people, asking them politely to put their dog back on leash. But, I've now decided if you're dumb enough to have your dog unrestrained in a populated area, then my booted foot will do the talking. It's quick, it's easy and I can be on my way without entering into a frustrating argument over whether "Rover" is is just "trying to be friends". It's great to see so many dog owners who must think that their dogs have 100% recall though. Such trust is beyond me in traffic areas.:mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts