Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy has this big (slightly soft) lump on the top of her head. My girlfriemd said she did hit her head pretty hard on my marble table the other day. We have only had her for a couple days so naturally I instantly conclude to the worst case scenario. Anyone have and ideas... Just a bruise, maybe worse, maybe common.... Its right between her eyes and ears, on the top of her head and if I were to guess id say its about an inch maybe a little less in height

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I could figure out how to post a pic... I can upload a pic of it in my gallery tho.... If its the blood accumulation does that need to be draimed or will it eventually go away?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
you need photobucket to post pics on a thread. use the IMG code.

I would have your vet check it out...hematoma's can go away on their own but I always have a vet check it over, just to make sure.

I wish I could figure out how to post a pic... I can upload a pic of it in my gallery tho.... If its the blood accumulation does that need to be draimed or will it eventually go away?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea ill make an apt tomorrow.... I did upload a pic of it in my gallery if that helps.. I hate nit knowimg. It doesnt seem to b affectimg her playimg or anythimg (sorry about the spellig new phome and its super hard to use on this website)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea tell me about it... I got the stupid table from my dad and im pretty sure i...ts because of that exact reason lol she makes sure to keep a good 10 ft radias away at all times lol

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,007 Posts
I'm wondering if you know the vonWillebrand's status of her parents. If there is the possibility she might be affected you probably should go ahead and get a genetic test like what Vetgen offers to check her status.

Don't do a test at the vet's office to establish what her genetic bleeding status is--the various bleeding tests offered by a vet will not give you a definitive answer, and are notoriously inaccurate for this purpose. You can order a test kit online and collect the needed sample (cheek swab) to send away for your answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree about the table lol some girl told me she looked that goofy dinosaur from land before time... I almost killed her after I picked myself up the floor from laughing

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dobermans have fairly thin skin and not much body fat so little bump can be a pain :( My poor girl looked like she had hives alot as a pup, she was always bumping into something, banging her head etc etc. I remember one particular time it took 2 weeks for the lump to go away...

By all means, take her to the vet first. Hopefully its just some tissue swelling from being such a rough girl :p

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Wow, that's a pretty impressive lump.

I agree with getting the cheek swab test done, to determine her vWD status. Your vet may not be familiar with it, just google VetGen or Vetnostics, and go to the Doberman test page to order.

I'd get her checked sooner than later--hopefully not, but she could have a head injury/concussion if the table-wreck was that bad!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Might be a Knowledge bump if it is on top of her head in the middle, Buddy has a very pointy bone on the top of his head hard to get a picture of it it is a
A sagittal crest is a ridge of bone running lengthwise along the midline of the top of the skull (at the sagittal suture) of many mammalian and reptilian skulls, among others.

The presence of this ridge of bone indicates that there are exceptionally strong jaw muscles. The sagittal crest serves primarily for attachment of the temporalis muscle, which is one of the main chewing muscles. Development of the sagittal crest is thought to be connected to the development of this muscle. A sagittal crest usually develops during the childhood of an animal in conjunction with the growth of the temporalis muscle, as a result of convergence and gradual heightening of the temporal lines.

A sagittal crest tends to be present on the skulls of adult animals that rely on powerful biting and clenching of their teeth, usually as a part of their hunting strategy. Skulls of some dinosaur species, including tyrannosaurs, possessed well developed sagittal crests. Among mammals, dogs, cats, lions, and many other carnivores have sagittal crests, as do some leaf eaters, including tapirs and some apes.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Might be a Knowledge bump if it is on top of her head in the middle, Buddy has a very pointy bone on the top of his head hard to get a picture of it it is a
A sagittal crest is a ridge of bone running lengthwise along the midline of the top of the skull (at the sagittal suture) of many mammalian and reptilian skulls, among others.

The presence of this ridge of bone indicates that there are exceptionally strong jaw muscles. The sagittal crest serves primarily for attachment of the temporalis muscle, which is one of the main chewing muscles. Development of the sagittal crest is thought to be connected to the development of this muscle. A sagittal crest usually develops during the childhood of an animal in conjunction with the growth of the temporalis muscle, as a result of convergence and gradual heightening of the temporal lines.

A sagittal crest tends to be present on the skulls of adult animals that rely on powerful biting and clenching of their teeth, usually as a part of their hunting strategy. Skulls of some dinosaur species, including tyrannosaurs, possessed well developed sagittal crests. Among mammals, dogs, cats, lions, and many other carnivores have sagittal crests, as do some leaf eaters, including tapirs and some apes.
Look at the picture.

This is clearly abnormal, and an injury.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hey, just wondering how this puppy girl is doing now?

·
Registered
176 Posts
My min pin "Penny Pinscher" did the same thing, on the coffee table. Unfortunately, her hematoma turned into an abscess and had to be drained. She was fine after the drain tubes came out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just have the exact symptom as mention with the hard lump on the top of my 12 week old dobie girl. Went to the vet and had sample looked under the scope. Nothing was un-normal. All good and pup is eating playing like normal. Vet gave some antibiotics for 8 days. 5 days past not much improvement. like to know if your pups lump disappear or go away after how long or it needed to be remove. Was it anything serious.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,007 Posts
Unfortunately it has been almost 2 years since the original thread was started, so I don't know if you'll get an answer from that poster. I hope someone else can give you some information about these bumps--anything that seems wrong on our babies seems worrisome. You might get more answers if you start an entirely new thread about your pup's problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It might be a hematoma if she hit her head. A hematoma is an accumulation of blood under the skin, usually caused by trauma.
Hi,
If it was a bad bump how can it be checked out. Vet took sample and looked under the scope and said it was all normal .how long does the accumulate blood clear. Over 2 weeks now since the lump appear on my 12 wk girl

1 - 20 of 20 Posts