Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Why do people get puppies if they can't take care of them??

2K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  MsMoppett 
#1 ·
I just had my co-worker call me because my dog trainer was at a local vet clinic and someone wanted to drop of a three month old dobie puppy, sorry I do not know what sex yet. Was telling the vet that they can not handle or take care of it anymore. So my question is why the hell did you get it in the first place?? He knows how much I love the breed so wanted to let me know so I guess I will be going to the vet clinic tomorrow to see what the whole story is. Was informed it was AKC Registered but we all know how much that means. I feel so sorry for the puppy because he is the one that has to suffer in the end, but I'm hoping either I can adopt it or at least foster it till I can find him or her a home. If it is a male I for sure will not be able to keep it because of my 8 month old Dobie male but will do my best to help locate it a forever home. Sorry had to vent because I get tired of hearing about people getting pets they have no means or will to take care of. Will keep you updated in what I find out.

#5 ·
It is a lot of work getting a puppy. If I had know it was this much work I probably wouldn't have done it. That said, we made a commitment to Oliver. I wouldn't trade him for anything. I think these people rate right up there with BYB.

#7 · (Edited)
Because most people have NO IDEA how much work is involved in a puppy. They see it as somewhere between a child and a plant. And I agree with the "end product" problem... My best friend has a BAD dog. Who actually said "well, I love her but what I really wanted was a good dog like Leo." (she adopted a young one from shlter, chow mix) Sweetie, you have NO clue how much work was involved in "making" Leo into Leo. And this is a SMART, EDUCATED, PROFESSIONAL woman. And well meaning too.. Loves the dog. It's eating her house cuz crating is "mean".

Edit to add.. Leo wasn't a puppy when he came to us. He was about 1. On our second puppy now. Remember why I said I would never do this again!

#8 ·
We just had someone come into the clinic to PTS a pet. They owed us money prior to this but the dog was suffering terribly. When asked for some kind of payment for the work, he exploded and said " I'm a disabled vet and I pass out when I'm driving. All I have is $20. I can give you $10, but I have to give this lady $10 to pay for her gas." You dumb s---, if you can't afford your dog, don't get one. And don't play the "disabled vet" story. For all I know, you stood at a copy machine and made copies for a year. My father was in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. And he never, ever brought up that issue. And he was disabled, all these occupations, he was with artillery and lost his hearing, but they denied his claim. But we always made sure pets were taken care. Hell, we shipped our cocker to Germany in the 60's just so he could be with us. And that was before fabricated crates. Had to have a custom one made. Sorry. Just had to rant about the piece of s--- people that have pets and shouldn't have. They don't have brains either.

#10 ·
I DONT KNOW!!! Unfortnneatly, I have NO patience or understanding of people like that. They just dont think things thru before they do them, imo. Give up too early. Dont love dogs enough to be inconvienced.

#11 ·

Here are a couple of pictures of "Sunshine", she is 12 weeks old and from a BYB. I'm in line to get her if some people who called before me don't get her. She is free to good home and really a sweetheart. I feel so bad for her she lives in the garage or outside and is not allowed in the house very much. Her current owner does not have time for her but had plans of letting her have one litter like it was a privilege for Sunshine to have one. It was hard to keep quiet but I dont want to mess up my chances of getting her out of a bad situation. I'll keep you posted on what happens to this innocent girl.

#13 ·
Her current owner does not have time for her but had plans of letting her have one litter like it was a privilege for Sunshine to have one.
Dear Jesus Tapdancing Christ. Seriously? I'm so amazed you remained quiet. You have gallons more self-control than I have. Did she listen to herself? She doesn't have time for ONE dog. Does she know what a litter is? As in, MANY dogs? Very young ones? Needy ones even? What did your vet say about that!?

My favorite quote... "If you want to experience the 'Miracle of Life', you should go to a shelter and spend a day experiencing the 'Miracle of Euthanasia'."

People need to be sterilized.

Anyway, thank you for working to save her from that fate. You're a hero, and she's a doll!

#15 ·
Well I now am fostering Sunshine and her forever parents will be picking her up around March or April. I contacted some friends of mine who also have Dobermans and they knew a couple who had just lost their Doberman a few months ago. They are in the process of moving up to Montana and will pick her up when they get here. They are aware that she is from a BYB (which I'll explain how bad later) and she may have health problems later in life. (Which they are financially able to cover) I talked to the vet who just did her shots and as of right now she is in great health and just needs some TLC. Sunshine did great her first night in her new home, she cried a little in her kennel and then went to sleep. :) Remington is still getting use to this other puppy running around the house but they are doing great together. Even sharing breakfast out of the same bowl this morning. :) We will be going out on our first hike this morning to get her more use to being on her leash. As far as her "great breeders" go here are the ages of her parents I'll let you freak the hell out like I did when I got her "papers" Mother born 12/24/2009 and Father born 6/10/2010 and dear Sunshine was born 7/9/2011. I would love to find these so called breeders and give them a piece of my mind.

#18 · (Edited)
Because people suck. A couple of weeks ago I got an email from a cousin of mine (whom I speak to every 5 years or so) that went something like this: "Happy belated birthday! Sorry to hear about your dog dying. I got a puppy that looks identical to yours and she needs a new home now and guess what - you are the perfect choice!" I told her I would help her find her a home, get her spayed and UTD with her shots and transport her if necessary, but that it would take some time. Earlier tonight I got a text saying that she'll be calling animal control on Tuesday if I don't come get her by then. I just love how people aquire dogs and when the responsibilities kick in, they're suddenly someone else's problem. :/

& Sunshine is gorgeous.

#21 ·
terrible, i hope she'll be safe in her new home. she looks like a sweetheart.

i don't know about you but getting fat isn't on the same level as cheating on your loving spouse or getting an innocent, defenseless puppy who has no one else in the world but you and when they decide the puppy is too much of a burden, they abandon it.

for the record, i think there are people who have huge credit card debts and thought things through but they were laid off and had a family to feed.. stupid, stupid people.

#23 ·
They don't think things through. There's another thread going with a guy that just adopted a 9-mo dobe, he's having some issues and he doesn't have enough money to even take a class at Petsmart. Great.

And I have a real problem with people who give a puppy as a surprise gift. My mother-in-law wanted to do this to my husband's sister's family even though they had said before that they would never get a dog since they travel a lot. We had to talk her out of giving them said Christmas gift. But what you do expect from someone who impulsively bought their own dog at a pet store and thinks it's high quality since it has papers?

I mentioned to my neighbors that I was getting a puppy soon and though they were happy for us, they told me about years ago when their employees bought them a puppy as a Christmas gift. Here they were, establishing their own practice, the mrs. was pregnant with her first child and SURPRISE! they're given a poorly bred purebred puppy when they also had no intention of getting a dog.

Too many people seem to regard pets as novelties.

#26 ·
Well looks like poor Sunshine heads to the vet tomorrow I'm 99.9% sure she has a UTI. We took her hiking yesterday with my Doberman and I noticed she squatted to pee a lot and most times nothing came out and then when she would pee her urine had a reddish tinge to it. So she goes in first thing tomorrow to get checked and meds. Then we can start on the house breaking when she is better since right now its not her fault. Poor little girl :(

#28 · (Edited)
Poor darlin', so happy that she's been rescued! Here's to you, and getting her and her UTI fixed right up!

I've come to understand that our society these days just has such a huge problem with self discipline and impulse control its astounding. We're all just a bunch of 7 year olds without any parents to take our toys away.

I'm gasping at how many litters like this her BYB breeder will produce if she's even starting at less than a year old to breed!!! Arrrrghh, I've almost passed out from the shock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.