Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrigley is 13 weeks today and I just took her posts down (second posting) Why does everyone keep posting until like 6 mos., if they are standing now? Just curious - thanks!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Because we can almost guarantee that they will get floppy or fall over completely within a day or two at her age. They're always more firm right after you take the posts down to let the ears breathe than they would be a a few hours, a day, or a week later.

The amount of time you post depends greatly on the type of crop your girls has, and how thick her ear leather is in the first place. My boy has a medium crop, and they were standing when he had his stitches removed, but I continued to post through teething (around 6mo of age). :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Most dogs need to be posted until six months or so, but not always. I've had dogs with looong show crops who were only posted twice, and never needed to be posted again. But that was with really superior ear cartilege, and doesn't represent the norm.

The big question is if the ears will continue to stand. Just because they're standing when you first take the posts out doesn't mean they won't droop in an hour, a day, a week.

Also, some dogs can lose ground with their ears when they're teething, and that usually is over by 5-6 months.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Wrigley is 13 weeks today and I just took her posts down (second posting) Why does everyone keep posting until like 6 mos., if they are standing now? Just curious - thanks!
If a pup's ears are standing before they start teething at 3 months then the ears may stay up. They may come down again during teething, and if they do, then you just start posting again.

If the pup's ears are not up when he starts teething then you generally have to post till the pup is thru teething. Patty Edwards, DVM, proffesional show cropper, told me this years ago.

If they are standing well, then the only way to know is to leave them down and see. I would prefer to take them down in the morning so you have all day to make sure they don't fall, tho.

I have had a pup's ears to stand with only one taping. It is pretty rare, but it does happen.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Ziggy is 4 months and his ears stand great when I untape them, but one of them will start to look weak after a day or so. I'm just going to keep posting him through teething since most dobes need to be posted through teething to achieve "permanence"! :lol:

·
joie de vivre
11,304 Posts
My puppy's ears always stood great before she started teething. One of her ears is consistently floppy and weak now that teething is in full force though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
see i was wondering the same thing. scarlett has been posted twice and her tape's been off for 2 days and still standing perfectly. she's 17 weeks and she's teething full force. but i'm still gunna bring her in tomorrow to re-brace, probably 2 more times just to make sure, and i guess if she starts to flop i can start again. her ears are dang easy though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is Sully, our 15-week-old female. Her ear crop procedure was different then any I've read about online. Our vet did the surgery at 10 weeks, sent her home with stitches and no bandages. We returned to the vet after nearly 3 weeks to remove the stitches and begin posting/taping. His instructions were 2 days on/2 days off. We use tampons with cardboard applicators and athletic tape. This photo was taken right after we removed the first taping. We, too, have wondered whether we should continue the taping regimen, so it's helpful to learn that Sully's ears may flop during teething in the next couple of months. We'll stick to the plan!

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. This is 6 hours after removing 2nd set of posts. I was such a fool for the second time and did not use any type of adhesive remover. When she got an infection from the crop, the emergency vet (who admittedly knew nothing about cropping) tore up her ears removing tape. Her poor hair was just growing back and I totally pulled some out tonight when I removed tape tonight. UGH!
I feel like the poor thing looks like she has mange! lol I know it will grow, Just kicking myself for not thinking.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is Sully, our 15-week-old female. Her ear crop procedure was different then any I've read about online. Our vet did the surgery at 10 weeks, sent her home with stitches and no bandages. We returned to the vet after nearly 3 weeks to remove the stitches and begin posting/taping. His instructions were 2 days on/2 days off. We use tampons with cardboard applicators and athletic tape. This photo was taken right after we removed the first taping. We, too, have wondered whether we should continue the taping regimen, so it's helpful to learn that Sully's ears may flop during teething in the next couple of months. We'll stick to the plan!
Where in Iowa are you and who did you get your pup from? She's adorable!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Adhesive remover

I now use the paper tape. It is awesome sticky good and does not remove hair. I see the vet tech evidenlty tore the tip off one ear. Hope the rest goes well. It looks like a great ear crop otherwise.

Thanks for all the advice. This is 6 hours after removing 2nd set of posts. I was such a fool for the second time and did not use any type of adhesive remover. When she got an infection from the crop, the emergency vet (who admittedly knew nothing about cropping) tore up her ears removing tape. Her poor hair was just growing back and I totally pulled some out tonight when I removed tape tonight. UGH!
I feel like the poor thing looks like she has mange! lol I know it will grow, Just kicking myself for not thinking.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Well I didn't read any of the posts but it's because they are teething at this age as well and it causes the ears to go everywhere (please correct me if I'm wrong) because Kleos ears weren't cropped and her ears went all over her head lol

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Good, I was hoping you'd post pics! They look good, a lot better than before. Still a bit of a tip-in on that one ear, but with a few more postings it'll be fixed.

Since Wrigley has thin ear cartilage (but not spongy) I'm predicting her ears won't take forever to stand. A good rule of thumb is to post until they stand on their own and don't fall down, and are nice and straight. Then post one more time, for good measure. ;)

Sooner's ears needed that "one more time" post when I got him. His ears were standing, but not as straight as we woudl have liked. Now he's got beautiful ears at 6 months old.

Before his "+1"

After his "+1"

Reactions: Zephyr

·
Registered
26 Posts
Where in Iowa are you and who did you get your pup from? She's adorable!
Thank you! We're in Cedar Rapids. We got our pup from Lynn Messer in Festus, Mo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts