Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, just curious.... Why did you choose to get a doberman? Of ALL the many many breeds out there, why did you choose a doberman? How long have you had a doberman/dobermens? What do you love about the breed?

I will go first :D (sorry so long)

Like I said in my very first post here, my grandmother had a doberman when I was growing up. She was such a sweet girl. I would dress her up and she would take me for walks :) They knew I was safe if I was with her, she tolerated me hanging all over her, would lay on the floor with me and act as my pillow while we watched movies, I literally grew up with her. The vet told my grandmother that her life expectancy back then was 7-9 yrs. She lived to be 14. When she was about 10-11 years old she came through the fence to stand between (as only a doberman could) my grandmother and a strange man that approached her in the alley behind her house. She was unloading groceries (her driveway and garage were in the back of the house) and he came up from behind her, and he grabbed her arm. My grandmother started yelling, and about that time Autumn came through the fence, and ran at him barking and growling, the man took off running and she never saw him again. I think Autumn knew he was there before my grandmother did. She will tell you that Autumn saved her life, she very well may have... At 14 years young, her hips got the best of her, and my grandmother had to have her put down. She swore she would never get another dog after her. She did, but it took many years. Autumn may not have been structurally the best example of a doberman, but her temperment and character were 100% doberman, and enough to make any doberman lover proud.

After Autumn, there were no more dobermans in my family. No one ever mentioned getting another one, or even really thought about it I don't guess. I never really saw many around anywhere, but if they ever were brought up, it always made me think of Autumn and what a great dog she was.

Last March Scott deployed, and Piper & I went home to Texas for the summer. I went to visit a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in a LONG time, and what do you know ... a big black doberman named Titan met me at the door. Barking at first, but as soon as I got inside he literally wanted to sit IN my lap. I fell in love with him and if I could have taken him with me, I would have. At that point, I swore I would have another dobie in my life soon.

Summer came and went, Scott came home, and we moved into our house in October. I saw an ad in the paper in December (yes, I know...shame on me) I was at their house within a day, picked Rommel out, put down a deposit, took about a billion pictures, and spent every waking moment looking up dobermans on the internet. It was then that I realized I had a puppy from a BYB and that I had probably jumped into this to quickly without doing the research that I should have. If I had it to do over again, I would, but RomRom will have a good home and the best that I can give him for the rest of his (hopefully a long time) life.

Everything about the breed fits my lifestyle. And I want him with me all the time, just as much as he wants to be with me. Piper has loved Rommel since the second she laid eyes on him, when we came home with him she was sitting in her crate. As soon as she saw him she started wagging her little nub, and when we let her out, she just came over and licked him all over. They sleep together, they eat together, and they both follow me everywhere.

Why I love the breed: They are elegant, proud and beautiful, but with a certian "hardness" that your average dog doesnt have. They can walk into a crowd, and everyone looks. They are sharp minded, but eager to please. They will take you for a run, or lay beside you on the couch. I don't think there will ever be another breed for me :D

Here is a picture of me and Autumn. This picture was taken on New Years Day 1991, I was 9 (10 in July :)) So Autumn was about 12

Very interested to hear everyone else's story.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
What a great story BiB and well told,my story goes back to 1987 we had just lost our first dog that we bought when we started living together he was a Collie cross and just a great dog,now we just had a Jack Russell and about 2 weeks after Ben had passed the Jack was acting very strange and one night i heard him screaming i went down to find we had burglars and they had beat him quite bad,so i made the decision(and the wrong reason to ever buy a dobe)that if anyone came in the house again they were not gonna find it so easy again.That is when i purchased my first Dobilove Juno,she was an absolute typical dobe in everything she did, she was perfect in every way and i think if she had been a problem dog it may have soured my outlook on these dogs forever.

Juno was quickly followed by Max who was a complete gentleman in every way, he was calmness personified nothing ever fazed him and although both he and Juno were fixed he would give his life to protect her and my wife.

When we moved to our present house Max and Juno were getting on in years so we had Amber our first brown(red) dobe Max was the first to pass he went off his legs at 10 years old,we went along with the two girls for a few months, about 16 to be precise when i saw Juno was getting unsteady on her feet so i purchased Chelsie,thats when i saw the character of Juno it was if she had been waiting for cover to arrive because ten days later she went off her back legs and had to be PTS.That takes us to Crufts 2004 and Tia's story, we went along just to see the dobes and boy oh boy we were not let down at all, 300 of the best i was in heaven,kid in a candy store just does not sum it up at all, that is when i saw a dog called Chester he was 11 months old and a fine dog,i asked around and found that his dad was a Russian import and an even better dog,so came Tia daughter of Russia(which was his pet name) my first show girl and pretty good too,most of you know the rest of story of how she went to Cruft's and whatnot.

Now what do i like about dobes,well everything really,all of you out there who have had any communication with me know i am dobercrazy,but one thing that sticks with me is their lust for life,give a dobe an empty field and they could not be happier,give them a lap to put their head on and they could not be more content.I JUST LOVE THEM ALL TO BITS.
I was asked once if i would ever consider Judging dobes in competitions and i just said "how can i do that they would all come first" sums me up really.

Sorry about the book but you did ask!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have wanted a dog ever since our family dog passed away when I was 10. My mom never gave in and always told me, once you have your own house, you can get all the dogs you want. I bought my first house about a year and a half ago and my mom begged me not to get a dog right away (I had to get a house with a fenced in yard-no exceptions!!) But really, you can't keep animals away from an animal lover. I started my long search for a dog soon after I moved in. I went to shelters, researched breeds, hung out in petsmart just so I could meet other peoples dogs. The shelter was full of lab mixes and pit bulls, but I really wanted a 'unique dog' that you didn't see around everyday (I gotta be different!) At first, I wanted an australian shepard, but ultimately decided against that. My boyfriend at the time had a minature pincher named Rio, I loved her to death but would never get one (he never really had her fully housetrained) but I thought she was the cutest thing on four legs. One day I went to petsmart and saw a red dobie that looked like Rio and my mind was made up...I was getting a doberman. I saved and saved up money. I even signed up for a nutritional study that paid me $600 just so I could get a dog, just because dogs and a graduate student budget don't really mix well :) I then applied to the Illinois doberman rescue, drove up to chicago for a 'meet and greet' session with the adoptable dogs. I was disappointed when none of the dogs there didn't seem to be a good match for me, but soon after the rescue contacted me about a dog that was being fostered in my hometown that they thought would be a good match. I went and met simon, and the first thing that came out of my mouth was, I said I wanted a SMALL dobie...and simon was taller than the other 2 dobes in the house by far. I took him home for a trial visit, then took him back a week later because I was going on vacation. I missed him so much while I was gone my mind was made up...he was coming home with me to stay. Unfortunately at his pre-adoption checkup they told me that he had a torn cruciate and needed surgery. Now its big decision time for me, because there was no way I could afford the surgery at that point in time. I saved up for the dog and I always know there could be big expenses like that, but not $2,000 right of the bat. Thankfully, the rescue took care of his surgery. PHEW on my part. I made an extra donation on top of the adoption fees, and am still setting aside a bit of money to make another, just because they were so great through the whole process. Thats how simon came to be :)

Here are some pictures of rio and my bunny

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Why did you choose to get a Doberman? Grew up with them, and now I will never be without at least one Doberman by my side. They made great family dogs for our active family. We lived with other breeds too, but the Dobermans and Chihuahuas were and remain my all time favorites.

Of ALL the many breeds out there, why did you choose a Doberman?
They are the best fit for us on all accounts, very active, always ready for a new adventure, smart/obedient, extremely loyal, “velcro”, confident, fun, noble, gorgeous and cute, short coat, proud, social without being “Lab or Golden” social, watchful, protective, very responsive and in tune with their people, they have a sense of humor, a zest for life every single day, they are a good sized breed for us, they make great show dogs, great house dogs, great nap takers, great performance dogs, great hikers and campers, just an all around wonderful breed for individuals that understand all that goes into properly taking care Dobermans since some of them can be too much dog for some owners.

Of course there are exceptions, I have seen Dobermans with very nasty temperaments, but as a whole that is not true of most Dobermans I have come in contact with. I think Dobermans are the best fit of the breeds out there for us, although I recognize they are not the best breed for everyone.

I know for people like one of my sisters, Dobermans would be one of her worst nightmares to live with everyday, way too much energy if not exercised. They need to go outside often and they tend to be too “velcro” and in her business at all times and just the height where they can be a pain (if you look at it that way, I don’t mind at all), plus she has a small car and they are big dogs.
She owns a Chihuahua and Sphynx cats and they are a perfect fit for her lifestyle. Her pets don’t even need to go outside, her Chihuahua is litter box trained and Sphynx kitties are indoor cats. Thankfully she does welcome crazy Dobermans for visits to her house and she makes a good doggie-sitter =)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I didn't chose the breed exactly. I was looking for a dog at the time but wanted a Golden. My neighbors had bred a back yard litter of Dobermans. (I was less educated back then.)

One of the puppies, a red male was not thriving and seemed to have some neuro problems. At 5 weeks old their vet said he would die unless he was in a good home. They asked me if I wanted him (for free.)

I actually had to think about it for a few days and then told them yes. I took him to my vet and my vet said he wouldn't live past 2 years and he would always be on the small size.

He did have neuro problems and he required extra care for certain things, but he was never in pain from it or for that matter he never knew he was in any way different. He probably wondered why other dogs walked so straight!

Max was my heart dog. He taught me so much and I was so lucky to have him.

He ended up weighing 85 lbs and lived to be almost 9 years old when I held him while he was pts due to severe arthritis.

I still miss him very much. :(

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I knew you guys would have some great stories! I love reading them, keep them coming! :D

so i made the decision(and the wrong reason to ever buy a dobe)that if anyone came in the house again they were not gonna find it so easy again.That is when i purchased my first Dobilove Juno,she was an absolute typical dobe in everything she did, she was perfect in every way and i think if she had been a problem dog it may have soured my outlook on these dogs forever.
Who would have ever thought huh? Now, you would fill your house with them! Sounds like she left a good lasting impression! Autumn sure did for me :D

I missed him so much while I was gone my mind was made up...he was coming home with me to stay.
I'm glad that you wound up with him, sounds like he has a good home. I love the bunny!

They need to go outside often and they tend to be too “velcro” and in her business at all times and just the height where they can be a pain (if you look at it that way, I don’t mind at all), plus she has a small car and they are big dogs.
Just for the record, I don't mind either :D I also have a small car, Piper has always taken the back seat on the passenger side, so Rommel took over the front seat. They know their spot, and I never have any trouble out of them, I love taking them with me :)

I didn't chose the breed exactly. I was looking for a dog at the time but wanted a Golden. My neighbors had bred a back yard litter of Dobermans. (I was less educated back then.)
Sounds like he was your Diamond in the rough. He sure was a cutie pie, love the pics :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
When our last Rottweiler was ill and not going to be around much longer, a friend of ours who is a Dobe breeder and rescue offered Winston (one of her rescues) to us. We went to meet him and some other Dobes and decided to take him because he was such a great dog for having been through such neglect and abuse. We just kind of fell into the breed, we did research them before we decided to take Winston though just to see what we were getting into, only to find out that they are similar to Rottweilers in a lot of ways. We then took another rescue, Keeva, in Sept. but I don't know if I or my parents will have any more Dobermans after these two. They're wonderful dogs and we absolutely adore the breed but my parents and I are definitely Rottweiler people and *my* most suited breed is the Toller. Dobes are a little too guardy for me and they're single coated (I live to groom, I love it so I much prefer double coated breeds like Tollers and Rotts). I do love them though and someday would like to have one more.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Well I think I was 11 or 12 when I seen The Doberman Gang on Tv I didnt know what kind of Dogs they were or what the Movie was called. When I started watching it was almost over. I Loved LOVED LOVED the Dogs I saw The Build, The Markings, Ears, and the fact they could Help Rob a Bank! LOL
I remember looking at them and being amazed at how different they were and they looked so Smart. After that Years had Passed I seen a Dobe somewhere and I got that Great Feeling that I had when I watched the Movie and thats when I started my Research on the Breed. I'm Deff. Hooked on Rotts and Dobes forever!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I have had dogs all my life...Cocker spaniel, german shepard, some mutts...etc...lol I don't remember my time with my first dobermans...we had two...one was pebbles...and the second one was Duchess1...like I said I don't remember them...but I know we still had Duchess1 when we got our Dalmatian...I have this picture that I am drawn to...I will try to find it and post it. Duchess1 died young...around 3 I think...but we still had Dice our dalmatian. We took her to canada with us...and she was sooo smart! The only bad thing is right when she was a puppy she growled at people and grew up to be somewhat unpredictable. We had to put her to sleep at 11ish...and when we did I was in high school and me and my mom stayed in the room with her. After that I didn't want to feel like I was replacing her...and My mom said I couldnt get another dog anyways....since we were in high school, played softball...and no one was home enough and we didnt have a fenced in yard. So we decided to adopt our two cats.
I think a full year later after I graduated my boyfriend Matt got a golden retriever puppy. and this made me want a dog again of course! I just wanted a dog that I could take everywhere with me...
I then started asking my parents about getting a dog...I LOVE the look of a Doberman...how rare they are and unique looking...so noble and sweet...not a dog you see all the time. I started looking online at pictures..and reading about the dobermans...had a picture on my computer wallpaper etc...and I would continue to ask. We were considering german pinschers etc...but my mom one night said she took the purina breed selector quiz and a Doberman came up as the first match! She told my dad that she agreed...if we were going to get another dog it would be a Doberman. My dad then started getting into the search...and then talked to the person at work that shows amstaffs and reccommended smack dabs. turns out she had a litter and we knew we werent getting another dog unless we put up a fence which is mandatory for smack dabs anyways. We visited...put a deposit...visited again...and then picked her out and she really did go everywhere with me! drivethru...the park..parade...fireworks..(which she didnt even look up b.c they didnt phase her at all)...carwash...friends house...the bank...EVERYWHERE SHE COULD!
AFTER DOING MY SEARCHES ON DOGS NO OTHER DOG EVEN CAME CLOSE TO COMPARING TO THE DOBE!!!!
I love the breed because I feel safe with Duch at my side...when friends come over or people she trusts she knows when to stop barking...(my boyfriends golden will just bark bark bark no matter who it is...) she also knows when barking and being cautious of people is needed. She is gentle and is so calm when meeting new people. she loves other dogs. they are athletic and duch has great endurance! but she can also sleep in with me till lunch if I want. they get sooo many compliments. and I can always tell that when people meet duchess or a doberman they get that experience etched in their mind and they make a strong sweet impression on people.
the other day at the dog park a young girl was sitting on the picnic tables and Duchess was standing on top of the table of course and was kissing and calmly looking at her and leaning into her...and the little girl says real sweetly "Mom can we get a Doberman" maybe in many years when that girl can get her own dog...she will be on here and that will be the start of how she decided on a doberman. :)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is so true, there are SO many people who have never come in "contact" with dobies. I have found that most people are afraid of them. It is great that you are so concerned with giving people a good first impression, because like you said, it is what they will think of the breed until proven different.

You did it the right way, did all the research, and found a great dog. Hopefully she will bring happiness to your family for many years to come :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I thought I wanted a dog, my father told me about a cool breed called Doberman so I googled for Dobermans' pics and fell in love with them.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
When I was a kid, a Doberman puppy wandered into our yard with it's head stuck in a soup can. After a few days we figure out where it came from, our neighbors down the street had a litter of Dobies. We took the pup back to where she belonged, and the neighbor told us we could keep her, if we wanted. We took her in, her name was Maggie. My Step-Dad took her to obedience training and we found out how smart she was. She was a very good dog.

Maggie made it to 13 or 14, and when she passed, my Mom wanted another Dobie, so she picked up the paper, and found one real quick. Not the best way to go about doing it I know now, but it worked out this time. Maggie had been the runt of her litter, so my Mom came home with the female runt of the new batch. Her name was Mandy. Mandy was smart, but real independent. She was 13 or 14 when it was her time to go. By that time, I had Mavis.

I was a bartender, and on my bar I had a picture of Mandy drinking out of the toilet with the caption "Are you tired of drinking the same old crap?". Two of my best customers one day asked me if I wanted another Doberman. They had one who liked to jump up on their 3-year-old little girl, and they were afraid the girl was going to get knocked down one day. They told me it was either I take her, or she would have to go to Doberman Rescue. Well I have a big yard, and I can't see letting a Doberman go to the Rescue if there's something I can do about it, so I took her in. Her name was Mavis, and she was the best Doberman ever. And I miss her every day.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
My cousin always had dobermans. I always loved to see them. I loved the look of them. The look of loyalty and sleeknobility that many breeds leave much to be desired. I looked at many breeds before deciding on them. I loved the fact that they don't shed much. I hate the hair everywhere. The intelligence level is outstanding. You can see it in the eyes when you look at them. I always loved to see hers and how well trained they were. They love to by me and are ready to go when I am, but ready to be lazy when I am also. I love my poodle and chihuahua's, but my dobermans have a certain dignified aura to them. They are refined in a way that makes themspecial. That is strikely my opinion as a doberman addict. I love being around them. They always surprise me. I grew up with all different types of dogs, and all were special in their own way. But to me, none compare to this breed. :dancing_b

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was three or four years old and my father purchased a doberman. Believe it or not, I remember the day my dad and I brought her home "Brandi". She laid in my lap all the way home. She became my best friend. I will never forget my mom had bought me a new quit, and Brandi ripped it one night. I didn't care about the quit, but don't yell at my dog. Then, one day I came from preschool, and run to the back yard just like every other day to see and play with Brandi and she was gone. My dad had sold her. I was shocked, mad, and hurt. I never forgave him for selling my dog. So, now I have two boys of my own and they were just begging me for a dog. I couldn't just get any old dog. It had to be the right one. Then Allie came into ours lives and now our family just wouldn't be the same without her.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my family has always had Dobermans along with GSD's and Pits. I used to be scared of the Dobies in my house because my grandfather was bad and made them VERY mean. One of them actually held me and my grandmother hostage in the house. But once my grandfather left and the dogs were put down (so sad but they were so agressive that NO ONE could handle them because of my grandfather's foolish actions. My grandmother wanted another Dobie (don't know why, after the last few were vicious) so we got not only one but three Dobie pups at one time, two females and one male. They turned out to be the sweetest, kindest dogs ever. After about a year or so we got an APBT because my granmother's friend bred them and offered us one and she was also a very sweet dog, and to be honest, my favorite of all the dogs. Then we got a GSD puppy and a Dobie mix who was older. We have had alot of dogs but unfortunately they all past away due to natural causes.

So know my family is dog-less, something that has never happened before, but my mother and I were moving out of my grandma's house so I decided I wanted MY own dog. I was going to get another APBT but decided against it because their are so many people with pits in my neighborhood and I wanted something different. So I got a male Dobie pup and was the best decision I have made. I love him with all my heart and I will NEVER be Dobie-less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts