Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pullo is 3 days post-op from his 2nd. I caught it early this time and it has been easier on him, thank heavens, although he does not tolerate strong narcotic pain meds very well. This time it was grass. He wears a muzzle at home but at shows, they aren't allowed. I have been known to pull it out of his mouth but didn't this time and look what it has cost me...and him.

I am going to write the AKC and see if I can get some kind of permission for him to wear his muzzle while walking around at events. Does anyone know what dept I should focus on? I have been asked at events to remove it by the show committee so I can't always just take my chances on a sympathetic show chair. Well, they were sympathetic but felt they had to uphold the rules.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I have. 2 months apart. Knock on wood we've gone a 'whole year' now without one.

Interestingly I just removed Flirt's free access to the yard because of all the grass she was eating. She threw up 2-3 times big thick hunks of grass stuck together that look like it could cause issues.

Does he have to go to AKC events? Can you use a GL to keep his head up or are they not allowed anymore either?

Reactions: Cathy43

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I wonder if you had a note from his vet stating he should wear the muzzle if that would make a difference at the shows? Poor little bugger. You would think they would learn. My girl is eating rocks.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Not me, but a friend had a Fila with a compulsion to eat horse and dog hair. He was euthanized after four surgeries for blockages, due to the resulting scar tissue and adhesions in his intestinal tract that made normal digestive function impossible.

I feed raw, and have noted lesser interest in grass and such if I include about four ounces of Cuisinarted veggies and fruits in the diet daily. If the compulsion can be minimized by providing what your dog is shopping for himself, but in a safer format, I would try that.

I also would regard this as a potentially life threatening habit, and I would do what is necessary to halt it. Probably, I would use an electronic collar to interrupt any and all thoughts about grazing.

And, no, one cannot use a training device such as a head halter on AKC show grounds.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, he has to go to AKC events because we do agility and I'm not ready to retire him yet.
The same vet (owns the emergency clinic) did both surgerys and said there were no strictures present and his plexy from last time looked great so that's good news anyway.
Pullo has IBD so raw feeding is out. I am strongly considering a veggie addition to his diet to see it that helps.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Well, he has to go to AKC events because we do agility and I'm not ready to retire him yet.
The same vet (owns the emergency clinic) did both surgerys and said there were no strictures present and his plexy from last time looked great so that's good news anyway.
Pullo has IBD so raw feeding is out. I am strongly considering a veggie addition to his diet to see it that helps.
Ah, makes sense. My cats have IBD and eat raw IF you are interested. It's not for everybody. Lot of IBD dogs on the raw lists, but again it's not for everybody.

I believe Flirt doesn't want the grass sometimes as much as she wants the "dirt" or roots. she rips big huge chunks up and dirt clods come up with it which she drags into the dog room and then eats.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which lists do ya'll recommend? And mmctag, what does your veggie mix generally consist of? Is it raw or cooked? I was thinking about trying some Honest Kitchen whatever the veggie blend is called.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Which lists do ya'll recommend? And mmctag, what does your veggie mix generally consist of? Is it raw or cooked? I was thinking about trying some Honest Kitchen whatever the veggie blend is called.
I'm on too many :) The rawfeeding main list is good HOWEVER do NOT EVER MENTION KIBBLE, VEGGIES OR GRINDING....they ONLY SUPPORT WHOLE PREY/FRANKEN PREY.

I just joined the raw-lite list and it's much more laid back. Both are on yahoogroups.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I second the vote for RAW-lite on Yahoogroups.

I do raw veggies (with one exception). I do large batches, and freeze. Between the Cuisinart smashing everything and the freezing expanding and exploding individual cells, I figure it is pretty available. Dogs otherwise do not extract nutrients which are encased in cullulose cell walls.

Half organic spring mix leafy greens from Costco... 6 - 8 boxes.
Blueberries... at least 12 oz.
Couple of carrots
Couple bunches kale
Couple bunches chard
Some spinach
Head of broccoli
Some mint
Some parsley
An apple
A banana, or two
An orange
Half of a cooked butternut or all of an acorn squash
Couple three cloves garlic
Alfalfa sprouts... at least 12 oz.
Whatever else looks good... melon, mango, zucchini... whatever.

I taste... if it is bitter, dogs don't like it as well... add more fruit!

I do organic where I can... apples and strawberries ONLY organic.

I would freeze in no more than three day's worth amounts.

This makes A LOT... a couple of months' worth for a single dog.

I'm probably forgetting something...

I HATE Veggie Night!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts