Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - I currently have my pup in 2 classes! Busy dogs are happy dogs right? Well one class ends tomorrow and the other started so we are not really doing double duty lol!

Anyway, I was just wondering what some of your thoughts were on clicker training? Pros/ cons etc...

Thanks all and any feedback is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I use clicker to teach all new skills. Basically with a puppy, it is all positive based as they know nothing....so lots of clicker.

When the dog has a skill mastered, then they get a correction for choosing not to listen and do the skill asked for. I find the clicker works very well with our smart Dobermans to mark that instant of correct behavior, body position heeling, etc. You could also mark it with "yes" or another word, but the clicker is such a distinctive sound I like it better.

·
Alpha
2,508 Posts
Max will not respond to it. NO MATTER WHAT. He's working fine with hand signals and verbal so I guess I can't complain.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I love the clicker, Kali did really well with it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I like clicker training - but don't use a clicker. :) I use a "marker" (verbal cue - a word) in the same way a clicker is used. Just chose this so I didn't have to carry a clicker with me everywhere as we train many times a day in lots of different places. As Ellen said, the definite "pro" of it is that it marks the correct behavior immediately. Good luck with 2 classes - good for you!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I like clicker training - but don't use a clicker. :) I use a "marker" (verbal cue - a word) in the same way a clicker is used. Just chose this so I didn't have to carry a clicker with me everywhere as we train many times a day in lots of different places. As Ellen said, the definite "pro" of it is that it marks the correct behavior immediately. Good luck with 2 classes - good for you!
This is exactly what I do, we have a "magic word" we use like a clicker. Mine is "yes," it seems to work. :)

·
Banned
1,658 Posts
Karma is still a little lost about it, I load the clicker about once a week so that she realises its use.. we willg et there, I plan on using it for obedience and agility. Autumn is trained on a clicker, but more for teaching tricks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
This is exactly what I do, we have a "magic word" we use like a clicker. Mine is "yes," it seems to work. :)
We use "Yes!" too! Working out great - except when I forget and say "Yes!" to something in conversation and Milo's ears pop up and he looks for his treat. Aye yi. Oh well, I figure the same thing must happen when something clicks and sounds like a clicker for clicker-trainers. :)

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
We use "Yes!" too! Working out great - except when I forget and say "Yes!" to something in conversation and Milo's ears pop up and he looks for his treat. Aye yi. Oh well, I figure the same thing must happen when something clicks and sounds like a clicker for clicker-trainers. :)
Yep, that's why I chose "Yes" instead of "good," since I call him "good boy" all the time, it's automatic... maybe I should have picked something a little less used, like... "Bueno!" :lol:

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Max will not respond to it. NO MATTER WHAT. He's working fine with hand signals and verbal so I guess I can't complain.
I'm confused by your statement that your dog does not "respond" to the clicker.

The clicker is NOT an attention getter, nor is it a substitute for verbal or hand commands.

It is simply a marker, communicating very accurately and precisely to the dog that the behavior he just performed is one you want.

I think, like all methods of training, there is a lot of misinformation and misuse floating around out there.

Though clicker training is a fairly simple concept, it takes lots of ability to read the dog, read the specific behaviors, ability to break behaviors down into "steps," and most of all--impeccable timing.

Not at all trying to be rude--but if your dog isn't "responding" to clicker training--chances are really good something is being done wrong along the way. If you're working with a pro trainer and the dog isn't getting it, might be time to interview another trainer. If you're training your own dog, might want to have a private lesson with a good trainer, to see if there is something you're missing (happens to the best of us) or doing incorrectly.

That said, no one method is best for every dog, and the clicker is just one more tool, albeit a very widely effective one.

I use a vocal marker as well, I think its better since you can change hands to give the rewards, so they will not learn to stand next to the feeding hand.
It isn't "better," so far as scientific studies are showing. Animals learn new skills much more quickly and retain the knowledge at a higher rate, with the clicker--but, it can be challenging to learn to coordinate leash, dog, treats, clicker, and timing.

Btw, using--or not using--a clicker has nothing to do with a dog "learning to stand next to the feeding hand." This is a trainer/handler issue, not a dog issue--and you should have a good pro trainer show you how to not make this mistake in handling your dog, if you are having that problem.

If it's really not working for you, then using a verbal marker may end up being more consistent for your dog.

OP, one more point I hadn't seen mentioned yet is there are so many styles of clickers out now. If anyone is having problems clicking in the instant they wanted to click, try out some of the newer clickers, some are easier to access very quickly--there's even one that you wear like a "ring" on one finger and you don't have to fight with trying to grab one dangling from your wrist or a lanyard.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
I use the clicker like ellen - for all new behaviors. When Red sees the clicker and treats come out, he gets all excited and knows we are going to work on something new. Once the behavior is learned, I discontinue the clicker and train normally using praise/reward for markers instead of the click.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much for all the input. I am not sure if there are any trainers in my area who use it. I assume there is a book for teaching this method? Did I see someone mention Karen Pryor? Did she also write 'The Power of Positive dog Training'?

Well I can't wait to get started, she is always ready to work!
Thanks again!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Thanks so much for all the input. I am not sure if there are any trainers in my area who use it. I assume there is a book for teaching this method? Did I see someone mention Karen Pryor? Did she also write 'The Power of Positive dog Training'?

Well I can't wait to get started, she is always ready to work!
Thanks again!
Nope, Pat Miller wrote that one, and it's a good 'un.

Karen Pryor's stuff is also great, and I really enjoy a lot of Suzanne Clothier's articles at flyingdogpress.com

Good luck, hope you guys enjoy the new training.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I use it also with clicker or marker word and love it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Clicker Training

I have seen some basic demonstration videos on you tube that show the correct way in which to implement the clicker into positive reinforcement training . They should give you an idea of the basic concept .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts