Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caleb dobes, Gwen DeMilta and the dobes she breeds, and foxfire dobes?

I was at a show this weekend and liked the look of some of the Caleb and Foxfire dobes. Also met Gwen and the owner of one of her dogs. would love to know if you all know anything about these folks.

thanks
cc

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Codysmom said:

I was at a show this weekend and liked the look of some of the Caleb and Foxfire dobes. Also met Gwen and the owner of one of her dogs. would love to know if you all know anything about these folks.

thanks
cc
My puppy is sired by a champion Foxfire dog. Michelle Santana (Foxfire) consistently produces really nice dogs with great temperaments. She's also a really good handler, and probably does the best job of show training puppies of anyone I can think of.

Gwen Demilta has been around since the early 1970's. She's a well known handler/breeder using the Alisaton kennel name. I liked the early Alisaton dogs very much. She was profiled in one of the fairly recent Doberman Digest issues.

I know the Caleb dogs do a lot of winning on the east coast...don't know much more about them than that.

·
Premium Member
8,843 Posts
Codysmom said:

thanks
cc
Louise goes back to Gwen DeMilta's Alisiton lines on both sides of her pedigree. Lots of breeders in this area got their start with Alisiton Dobermans.... Joan Witt (Cha-Rish) and Mims Datskow (Datelis) are two I know that got their start with Gwen. I don't know Laura Jones (Caleb) personally but I've met her at the shows a few times. She has bred some incredibly beautiful Dobes.... I have no idea what they are like temperament or health wise.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info/opinions. I was pretty sure that you would have heard of Gwen and her dobes as well as Caleb and Foxfire since you are in NJ, velmadobe. I am also pleased that Murreydobe has heard good things as well. especially since you are on the west coast

I was at the show on Saturday (FHY velmadobe it was actually pretty big. 65 dobes, 2800 total dogs, called the cherry blossom cluster and sponsored by the Old Dominion Kennel Club).

Gwen was handling the dog that won best of breed and one of her bitches took best of opposite sex. there were several caleb and foxfire dobes there as well. and I really liked the looks of those dogs

I did notice a couple of things that I found interesting. there seems to be a bit of a trend to a daintier, more pointy headed dobe, rather than the "blunt wedge" head, stockier body that the DPCA describes as the standard. the Destiny dobes that were their seemed to be more on the dainty side and the bitch that took best of opposite sex was pretty dainty as well.

A spent a little bit of time with a couple of owners of Gwens dogs and a couple of folks she was handling for and they had nothing be good things to say about her. course ifyou are ahiring someone to handle your dog, I would imagine you would have good things to say.

IT sounds like it would be worth my time to continue to talk to Gwen and get in touch with Caleb and Foxfire as well for my next pup.

thanks guys.. any other opinions etc. would be wonderful to hear about.

cc

·
Registered
273 Posts
Gwen's special is Cyrus' half sister Ada. I know Carmen (Ada's owner) was up that way this weekend, did you talk to her?? Tiny lady, short dark hair.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not meet your friend. I really didn't want to impose on folks who were showing, but most take off right after so it's kind of tough. in addition to Gwen a met a lovely woman named Roberta who had one of Gwen's dogs. She introduced me and was just wonderful to me.

cc

·
Premium Member
10,452 Posts
Hi Codysmom,

I've got a couple of Foxfire dogs--by the way Foxfire (Michelle Santana) is actually on the west coast--Sunny Valley, Oregon) Sophia Koster DVM (Eastwick) has some of Michelle's Foxfire breeding and her dogs probably account for at least some of the Foxfire dogs you see on the east coast. There is a nice champion Foxfire bitch being shown as a special from the midwest who gets fairly far east from time to time.

It'd be hard not to know Gwen--no matter what part of the country you are from--she and Aliston are mainstays and actually in the world of show dogs and breeders would qualify as famous.

Caleb is relatively new but producing some very nice dogs--at least from the pictures--none of them seem to have made it out to the Pacific Northwest yet.

I like what Foxfire produces--they are suitable for all venues (or at least if you start out asking for a prospective show quality puppy they are). My older dog has lots of titles on both ends and the younger one is 2 points from his AKC championship and has an RN and two legs toward his RA and will start running agility this summer (I hope he will anyway--have to find his brain first).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts