Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Who Knew? These are Grape!

3882 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Jhagman
Dexter, my Doberteen loves my muscadine grapes! All the ripe ones that are his level are stripped clean!

Muscadines are America's only native grape & grow well in the south. Who knew Dobermans loved 'em!? (Good antioxidants.) (sorry the photo is a tad fuzzy, he's moving and this is taken with my phone)

See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Grapes, raisins and sultanas can be toxic to dogs...if you think he's been ingesting them in large quantities, keep an eye on him for vomiting or diarrhoea. I'd prevent him from eating grapes from now on.

Grape and Raisin Poisonings in Dogs
Recently, there was a letter in the AVMA Journal from Dr. Gwaltney-Brant and others at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center discussing grape and raisin poisoning in dogs. Apparently, grapes and raisins can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large quantities.

The grapes and raisins came from varied sources, including being eaten off the vine directly. The dogs exhibited gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea and then signs of kidney failure with an onset of severe kidney signs starting about 24 hours after ingestion of the grapes or raisins. The amount of grapes eaten varied between 9oz. and 2 lbs., which worked out to be between 0.41 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight. Two dogs died directly from the toxicity, three were euthanized due to poor response to treatment and five dogs lived. Due to the severity of the signs and the potential for death, the veterinarians at the poison control center advocate aggressive treatment for any dogs suggested of ingesting excessive amounts of grapes or raisins, including inducing vomiting, stomach lavage (stomach pumping) and administration of activated charcoal, followed by intravenous fluid therapy for at least 48 hours or as indicated based on the results of blood tests for kidney damage.

I have fed my dogs a few grapes every now and then for years, so I don't think there is a need to panic if a dog eats three or four grapes but if the whole bunch is missing from the table one day, it would be good to think about watching for any signs of a toxic reaction.

Michael Richards, DVM

Michal Update: You may wish to give your veterinarian a call if you suspect your dog has ingested grapes but aren't sure. It's a good idea to know where he is going to be if you might have an emergency later, in case you need to make other arrangements . You both may decide to assume that the dog has eaten the grapes and treat the dog. Whatever the decision, letting your vet know that there is a potential problem going on is a good idea. Newer information from Animal Poison Control has indicated that as few as 7 grapes can be toxic.


Read more: Toxins (Poisons) That Effect Dogs - VetInfo
  • Like
Reactions: 5
yes, please no more grapes!!
  • Like
Reactions: 2
Whoa! I had no idea! I am so glad to know this.

He's been eating them since mid-summer when the first varieties ripened.

Oh my. I was going to harvest them today anyway, because they attract a rather large bear that lives on our property, and so many are ripe. Now I am especially motivated.

But this is so strange, because he hasn't had any negative reaction (and they do show up in his poop, he swallows them almost whole).

Wow...thank you so much for posting this for me.
  • Like
Reactions: 2
I will keep them stripped clean at his level, but I did read that the problems came from eating quantity.

He's never been able to eat that many at one time, is probably why he hasn't gotten an adverse reaction.

But it's better to be safe than sorry, again thanks to you for educating me on this!!!
  • Like
Reactions: 2
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.