Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
things have been very hectic this week and ive driven 5 hours today... but tonight we have a new addition to this household (At least temporarily) --

some of you may have seen the posts on a variety of dobe lists about an older male dobe in a nassau shelter that was slated for euthanasia if he wasnt pulled ASAP. lots of people banded together, and today i drove up to the shelter to meet "handsome"...

handsome (now called jones) is an elderly blue male with some pretty bad skin going on - hes still intact (not for long!) and covered in scabs and scrapes, missing a lot of fur along his back and sides, and a little stiff when moving...

but inside, theres a sweetheart of a dog. the first thing he did when he met me was literally cover my enter neck and face with kisses, and hes spent the past 2 hours playing with rah - whom he ADORES. for an old man, he gets around pretty well and he's enjoying rah's favorite game - chase! hes met the cats and hasn't had anything to say about them, and we already pulled some blood to test his thyroid and clear him for surgery - he also has a few masses we will take off at the same time, and clean his teeth. but its heartwarming, im sitting here watching this old man playbow at rah to play with him... hes so happy!

so anyone want an older male, good with dogs and cats? seems to be housebroken, wont come up on furniture :) hurry before i fall in love!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Kim you are a saint for saving his life,if i did what you do i think my wife would leave me because i would never let them go,and from what you are saying it sounds to me like you have the same problem you get "sticky" with Dobes.
Even when Tia's breeder comes to the house after a show i try to hide her dogs in the garden but she won't let them stay :( .

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
wait till you guys see the pics :D
Grats Doberkim...he's a cutie! Now get pics posted here too so all these guys an ooh and aaahh hehehe

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
That is great Kim, POST SOME PICS! Very nice of you to open your home to animals in need, I admire all of you who do it. I bet Rah is in Dobie heavan! (YEAAAAH SOMEONE TO CHASE THE BLUE BLUR AROUND!)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Wow Kim!!! Kudos for you!!! Good on you for taking the boy in! Hope he finds a great home soon! (pics????????????????)

·
Registered
954 Posts
You're an inspiration. I'll have to share your post with my daughter. (The 10 year-old that has been talking about being a vet and a "dog walker" since she was four.)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
That is wonderful of you Kim. Rah has to be excited to have a playmate to chase him around. Pics to see!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Doberkim - weren't you the one who didn't like blues??.........

thank you for saving the dear old boy's life. now pics please
cc

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I'm sure she doesn't like the intentional breeding for dilutes CM, but I know when she was looking for a needy kid to adopt, she wanted to take in a dilute.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, i didnt go LOOKING for a dilute - i went to the rescue and they brought out dobe after dobe after dobe... and what was the right dog for my household was a 10 month old male blue. i was HOPING it would have been an 8 year old black female, but alas - there went my hopes of the show puppy for the next 10 years ! but rah was everything i was looking for in terms of temperament and drive - and thats more important to me than color.

this guy had no color listed when i went to go get him - no one could tell, probably because they arent familiar with the breed, and lets face it - he has very little hair. but hes a blue too. it just so happens that i have two dilutes in my house - i dont care what color a dobe is when its in need, if i can help them, i will. purposefully breeding for something is a whole different ball game!

you guys are all just jealous of the blue buttheadedness in my house right now :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
doberkim said:
well, i didnt go LOOKING for a dilute - i went to the rescue and they brought out dobe after dobe after dobe... and what was the right dog for my household was a 10 month old male blue. i was HOPING it would have been an 8 year old black female, but alas - there went my hopes of the show puppy for the next 10 years ! but rah was everything i was looking for in terms of temperament and drive - and thats more important to me than color.

this guy had no color listed when i went to go get him - no one could tell, probably because they arent familiar with the breed, and lets face it - he has very little hair. but hes a blue too. it just so happens that i have two dilutes in my house - i dont care what color a dobe is when its in need, if i can help them, i will. purposefully breeding for something is a whole different ball game!

you guys are all just jealous of the blue buttheadedness in my house right now :)

My bad Kim, I thought I remembered reading something about it:) And I am totally jealous:tongue23:

He is totally handsome and I'm sure he's enjoying some much needed groceries!! What's up with his nose? Is it just mottled from exposure do you think? Can't wait to see the pics of him as he recovers!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
OOOHHHH, it breaks my heart the shape his prior owners let him get in, I have seen skinnier, and scabbier though.
I am sooo happy he has you to help him!!

My dobe PJ was a blue, he took me a lot of years to get past losing, I don't think I could own another blue, but looking at 'your boys' one can never say never!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Speaking of blue dobermans, there was a bitch at the shows in Indio that had the DARKEST blue coat I've ever seen. She was mistakenly registered as black, and I can totally understand why..you had to put her in full sunlight next to a legitimate black to be able to tell the difference. Even her nose leather was the darkest blue imaginable, easy to mistake as black. Now the owners have to dna test her to prove she's genetically blue, then correct the error in color on her registration.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Those oldsters just break my heart, they're so dear. You just want to slap the stuffing out of anyone that would let this sweet old dude get in this kind of condition.

·
Registered
255 Posts
bless your heart....thanks for helping the little man out. I was angry to hear of the lady on myspace from SC, Amanda Keith, who had all them dogs in such bad condition...Im not fond of anyone breeding whites, but i am thankfull that the breeder was able to get her dogs back, atleast she wont let them go hungry. To me, Amanda and her family should have got a more harsh punishment. I just dont understand why someone would let them get in that condition, if you cant care for them, find someone who can...there is no need to let them get like that....AGAIN THANK YOU FOR HELPING THAT BOY OUT!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts