Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Happy Tails Pet Center
16 Posts
Oh George,

You have been a magnificent Doberman. The pain when losing a loving and faithful dog can be worse than losing a human. Unconditional love is the cause for that I believe.
I have a girl who is 13.5 years old. She is my heart dog and I know I will lose her someday. I have cherished my time with her. My condolences to you if George has passed on. :crying:

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
This is a very old thread--I went back to see when it started--2006. In 2006 Colt who was a 1998 model was still with me--and would be until 2008--he made it to 10 and a couple of months and a lot of people including those of us who lived with him were really sorry to see him go.

In 2006 Rumor (my very bad Rumor) was only three--he almost made it to 10--I lost him on April 1 2013--his cat who is now 14 misses him as much as I do--he definitely marched to a different drummer but I wouldn't have wanted him to be any different.

And in 2006 the Toad was a mere puppy--and this November he's be 12--my fawn boy--who still has virtually all his hair--amazing. I can't imagine what I'll do without the Toad--I've tried telling him he has to live forever (not gonna' happen) but for now he's still bouncy and a happy guy--still trying to keep the squirrels off the back fence.

While I'm always thrilled to hear about these dogs who make it to really advanced ages--WOW--George is 17--just wonderful--I'm happy enough with my Dobermans--I got my first in 1959 and most of them got to at least 9 years.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,433 Posts
My longest-lived dobe made it to almost 14 and I thought that was really old. I can't even imagine 16!

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
Since Melbrod resurrected this thread--I'll just add to it--I finally lost my fawn boy Toad (Ch Fofire's Gold Toed Monster (Plus a bunch of Obedience titles, rally titles and agility titles CDA, ROM BFL1 LC14) to laryngeal paralysis (something much more common in Labs)--surgery is curative but his vet, his cardiologist and I agreed we didn't want to be doing surgery on a 13 year old Doberman who had been diagnosed and was on heart meds.

Not only do I miss him a lot but I discovered when he was gone that the youngest of my cats had decided that Toad was HIS dog--I decided I was too old and fragile for another dobe puppy but the cat who lost his dog and who was at the door everytime I came back from anywhere looking for HIS dog was insistent--so we were Dobemanless for 3 days and I talked to a breeder friend who was showing a charming young male at a 4 to 6 month puppy class and I said if she ever wanted a break she could send him to be for awhile (I didn't tell her that my cat was pining away for his dog). She called me a day later and delivered the puppy to us (Joey, the loaner)--Clark--the cat looked and said he was the wrong color but at least he was a Dobe.

dobebug, Joey the loaner and Clark who believes the Dobermans all belong to him

·
Registered
6 Posts
My registered AKC male just turned 15 years old yesterday. He's still moving great. No arthritis and still runs decent (not as fast as when he was 3.... but still runs well). He does have a little cloudiness to his eyes.... but still sees well. Barely has much for gray hairs.... about the equivalent of maybe a 6 to 8 year old.
I'm mentally prepared that he may have a sudden something that makes me half to put him down (which is what happened to my 14 year old husky).
Now to be fair, until 2 years ago, I've always free-fed my doberman, high fat puppy food, to keep his weight up. I'm thinking the extra vitamins and minerals his whole life has been a tremendous help to his health and longevity.

I am just wondering who has the oldest Doberman on this board? Or who has had a very old Dobie? We always hear that they die too young....
Anyone have dogs over 10 years old?

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
I always love to see this thread bumped up with a long lived Dobermans. What a blessing to have a 15 year old!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also forgot to mention, my male is still in tact. Which also leads to long life and less health issues. It's been discovered by vets, that spaying and neutering dogs at a younger age (say under 6), leads to multiple health issue possibilities that tend to start at 5 years old and up. I also deworm my dogs 2 to 4 times a year..... and it's been discovered that fenbendazole treatments can kill cancer. (Though I typically use ivermectin/praziquantel)

I always love to see this thread bumped up with a long lived Dobermans. What a blessing to have a 15 year old!

141 - 153 of 153 Posts