Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im not sure sorry, we had him since he was about 8 weeks old off a young couple who were having a baby. But a when my father was out walking him one day a dobie breeder approached him and actually offered a substantial amount of money for him :/ very strange lol

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Atlast old age quickly crept up on my beautiful boy Zac, he made it to 17yrs and 4 months
Rest in peace baby boy x
I'm very sorry for your loss. What an amazing dog he was!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oldest dobie

My doberman is 15 years old as of St Patricks day. Braunson is doing quite well with a huge appetite. But he does have athritis and he sometimes has a hard time jumping on the couch.:butfly:

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Nice thread and seeing very senior dobes.

Now a 10.5 year old girl, still hanging in... with a fighting spirit to live.
10 days ago, AMY went through 1.75 hours of tooth surgery:
- her heart and blood work was excellent / we knew her blood clotters were OK
- two sample areas, our Vet had tested, just came back Cancer Free

She lost 6^C of body temperature and fighting to recover, from operation / Dad by her side, all the time:

Less than 24 hours after Vet visit, AMY enjoying solid food once again / Mom made scrambled eggs for our girl:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
874 Posts
Dillon will be 11 next month, he has Wobblers but seems to be coping well.

Ben was just 6 (bloat)
Zeb was 13 also bloat
Holly 8 (died in kennels)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 13 year old red dobe. (My first) Her name is Mariah. She still loves to play everyday and I can't imagine her ever going anywhere. Like another, I have told my husband that she will be here as long as I am around. I won't think of anything else. She loves other animals, and especially my toddler grandson. She will still play hide and seek (which my daughter started with her when she was young). Her hearing is starting to fail, and we give her glucosimine, chondroitin, msm every day, (for her back end) and she has always been on a very strict diet, last few years -sweet potato and salmon (no grains). She has lumps and bumps, but a very shiny coat, and keeps herself very well groomed. She is definitely showing signs of slowing down, but not in spirit or appetite.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 13 year old red dobe. (My first) Her name is Mariah. She still loves to play everyday and I can't imagine her ever going anywhere. Like another, I have told my husband that she will be here as long as I am around. I won't think of anything else. She loves other animals, and especially my toddler grandson. She will still play hide and seek (which my daughter started with her when she was young). Her hearing is starting to fail, and we give her glucosamine, chondroitin, msm every day, (for her back end) and she has always been on a very strict diet, last few years -sweet potato and salmon (no grains). She has lumps and bumps, but a very shiny coat, and keeps herself very well groomed. She is definitely showing signs of slowing down, but not in spirit or appetite.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi. I know this is a very old post, but any idea what Sadie ate/lifestyle? Rhett will be 2 in April. We have him on raw organic food, minimize drugs/shots. Rhett had his first round of puppy shots, then we adopted him at 7 months. By law he gets a rabies vac every 3 years and his alternative vet administers just a tad and tosses the rest in the trash. We reside in Texas, so he must have a monthly heartworm med. am thinking nixing the overkill on shots will lengthen his life along with raw high protein diet and lots of love and play time. I am always researching what other folks do with long lived pets to see where we might make changes.;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Long Lived Dobes

I think we need to do all we can to provide proper nutrition and care for our Dobes, but I'm also a firm believer in genetics as well as environment. My current girl is 5, but my previous lived to 14 1/2. We live in a rural area where Rabies and Distemper/Parvo are very real threats, so we do not worry about limiting shots. I'm glad my dogs have always gotten their 3 year rabies shot as well as Distemper/Parvo yearly. I would be heartbroken if any of them died of a disease that I could have prevented. I have not seen any harm come to any of my dogs due to vaccinations. I truely believe genetics has much more to say about how they handle vaccinations.

·
Registered
1 Posts
well my doberman was born 3/98. so hes 14 yrs and 2 mo's atm. still healthy, just old is all. lots of white hair where his brown is, but he still has plenty of brown left. he doesnt really run anymore. the most he will do now is skip or light jog. he still has all his teeth but gettin some black on them close to the gums. hes lost some hearing, he wont hear the front door open anymore when i come home, that started last year. hes testies are a little cancerous but not bad, one is slightly bigger than the other. normal for old male dobermans. when dobermans get older, they will eat more stuff and be less picky.
give them milk their whole life long, 1 cup per week. its like a treat. give them veggie scraps whenever you want. veggies never harm. onions and garlic is excellent. screw the breath. who cares about that, im not french kissin him. lol. plus garlic and cancer are enemies. keep ears clean at least once a week from wax build-up. dont go to deep in cleaning, fingertip is enough to be safe, q-tip for the outer part in those groove places. give them once every 2 days a treat that helps clean teeth. give love at least once a day, they need it. dogs can easily be ignored everyday. dont slap on head. they will naturally get bonier when they get older, regardless of their daily meal amount. i feed mine once a day. maybe a treat later on too. i give my dog no food with fat! never. when a dobe gets older, it doesnt mean stop playing or wrestling him to the ground. they need the friendship stuff in life.
cya

·
Registered
595 Posts
My Rosebud lived to 13 and was healthy all the way to the end.
My Bonnyrose lived to 12 and was also a healthy girl to the end.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Condolences on the loss of these long lived dogs.

If at all possible please share the breeding if you have the papers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My doberdog, Darcy, lived to be almost 17--just three weeks shy. As someone else posted, her heart and desire were still there, but one morning, she just couldn't get up anymore. I had a trusted mobile vet that I'd used all of Darcy's life and, since Darce wasn't in pain, I was able to wait over the weekend for my vet. Darcy was in her bed, eating Slim Jims, lapping up the love from my friends when Dr. Allen arrived. It was tough, but I hope someone loves me enough to do the same for me when my time comes. *smile*

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aged Doberman

I am just wondering who has the oldest Doberman on this board? Or who has had a very old Dobie? We always hear that they die too young....
Anyone have dogs over 10 years old?
We have a 12 1/2 year old Female Doberman, although she has slowed down she is still full of spunk and loves to play.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old post but need to share

Our George turned 17 on July 1, 2017. He's was still going strong until this past week. He seems to have stopped eating, he's having other challenges impacting his health (of the bathroom kind), and his eyes are sad .. almost as sad as mine. My wife and I have decided to make an appointment for later this week .. hopefully his appetite will come back before then and we can cancel.

George & I have known each other since I held him in my arms at 3 weeks old .. and we've been side by side ever since he left his mom and siblings at 3 months. The most we've been apart is for a few weeks during work trips. For those that have young ones looking for tips, ever since he was three, he has had 4 cups of Duck and Potato dog food (2 in the morning and 2 at night), all of the regular shots, annual checkups, and he drinks more filtered water than most healthy adults (I'd guess 6-8 liters a day .. these days, just a few a day though). A minor item that likely prevented pain is that his dish was always raised to avoid bending his neck when eating or drinking. Another contributing factor is likely that he & I would run 5-7 miles a day from when he was about 4 - 10 yrs old. Then, when it was too hard for him, we stuck with long walks. He's down to making it to the end of the street before he's out of breath. Lastly, he was not allowed to jump or stand on his back legs until he was fully grown to avoid hip issues.

But man, he & I have climbed some cool mountain peaks, scaled the side of challenging boulders, and he once was a rock solid beast of muscle. He's stopped me from getting mugged a few times (we liked to jog very late at night around dark lakes and downtown neighborhoods), he stopped a home invasion in their tracks, and has likely warded off dangers that I'm not even aware of. I don't even know what we will do to protect our family after he's gone. When he was a pup, he wasn't that good with kids and I was afraid of what would happen when I started my own family .. but, when we first brought our son home, he went over and licked his tiny feet. They've been best friends ever since. My daughter is the only person I've ever seen grab his tail without getting told to back off. And while our kids can do anything they want to him, his only recourse has been to lick them, jump around with excitement that they are giving him attention, and protect them from anyone that did not appear to have the best of intentions.

We're not going to be saying goodbye to a dog, we really are saying good bye to a family member and I have no idea what I am going to do with myself after he passes. .. ok, I've got to go love on him now while I can.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,433 Posts
So wonderful hearing stories about these old guys and girls.

Sounds like you’ve packed a lot of wonderful things into your life together and made every one of those 17 years special for him.

121 - 140 of 153 Posts