Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering who has the oldest Doberman on this board? Or who has had a very old Dobie? We always hear that they die too young....
Anyone have dogs over 10 years old?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
sorthund said:
I am just wondering who has the oldest Doberman on this board? Or who has had a very old Dobie? We always hear that they die too young....
Anyone have dogs over 10 years old?
Just young'uns here now..18 months and 5.5 year old. But I lost one a couple of years ago that was a month short of being 13. Believe it or not, she was the most active dog on the property until about a week before she died of cancer...she still ran the fenceline and awed the younger dogs with her ability to party. I've had other dogs who made it to age 11 and still were active and really youthful in appearance.

Along these lines, a friend just forwarded me some pics of a dog they bred who's now 13 years, 9 months old..she looks WONDERFUL, although her face is almost solid white.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
no clue how old Tucker really is. We think he's around 5 but since he's a rescue we really don't know.

I hope with all my heart he lives a long, happy healthy life though

·
Extraordimary
4,988 Posts
My 2 old girls have died in the past year. Sadie (Can. Ch. Solar's Back In Back CD, CGC) was 12 and Ember (Can. Ch. Solars Glengate Abilene Ember CD, ROMC, CGC) was 11. Sadie had very little grey on her face and looked amazing for her age.

I was lucky enough to meet my girl Shelby's grandmother when I went to see Shelby for the first time. Her grandma was 14, and died a few months later. The oldest Doberman I've personally seen was 15 - she used to be brought out to be shown in the veterans class at local specialties right until the end of her life. She wasn't really doing all that well in some respects, and we'd all cry to see her every year.

The oldest dog in my house is my GSP, Halley, who will be 13 in April.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Well Amber is approaching 7 now and my first Dobe Juno was 12 when she passed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had a dobe I put down at 14. Her heart was good but lost her rear just couldn't get up any more. that was 2 1/2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
I lost my first Doberman to bloat almost 3 years ago - she was 11. My oldest right now is Velma who turned 4 in October.

My rescued Greyhound died at 11 3/4 - I had him put down due to kidney failure, I suppose he could have toddled on for awhile but his joy in life was gone. That was 5 years ago............ WOW, where has the time gone so fast??

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
my doberkids are still pretty young, pollo being the old man at 6. the oldest I had was a newf who we had to put down at 12 and a lab who we had to put down at 13.

cc

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I had a mixed breed dog (malamute and GSD is the best guess) that lived to be *16*. She was Queen of the Castle until the day she died, raising many doberman puppies for me. She was always benevolent about her alpha status, but I've seen dobermans run for the hills when she thought they'd crossed some line in the sand..even when she was old and toothless.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I'm glad to see that many do live to be old.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Our two are still very young. Titus just turned 2 and Jada is 10 weeks old but my uncle had a red dobie, Sadie. She was a great dog and she lived to be 19. Yes you read that right. It was not a typo. She was 19. That was many years ago that she passed but he still talks about her like it was just yesterday.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Raven is our oldest at 6 and2 months.. A friend of mine just put her 18 year old Red Female doberman down. She had cancer for about 1 year and it was time.. The Vet who had treated her since she was 9 weeks was so upset he had to have the other Vet come in and give her the shot to put her down.
Another friend has a 13 year old Blue female.. she is a sweetheart but the poor old thing is getting pretty thin in the hair. Up till just 2 years ago she had a beautiful coat.
Now our first Doberman was 11 when she died. Who know how old she would have gone to. She was attacked by another dog who had jumped the fence into my Mother's yard.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think Max is around 5 now. He was about 2 when we got him from the Humane Society, well that is what they thought.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My Tigger was several weeks shy of her 15th birthday, Mindy was 14, she started to grey at any early age. The rest I lost at early ages between 4 and 11.

Current girls are, Grace 4 1/2 and PeeWee is 2 and 2 mos

·
Registered
437 Posts
Diesel is 5 and a half and Abbie will be eight on the 21st of this month and touchwood shows no signs so far of slowing down. Got a few grey hairs now though.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
LOL, Lexus is going to live forever (or at least as long as me);) Sorry God, there is just no other arrangement I can accept :)

Hubby talks about his retirement (which is still pretty far off!) and runs through different plans, last week he mentioned getting a nice RV and traveling. I (patiently nod, "yes dear") said, yeah whatever, just so long as it's big enough for you, me, and Lexus. Of course I get a funny look from him then, but he's wise enough NOT to comment!

(by the way, NO, I will not spend my retirement in an RV)

1 - 20 of 153 Posts