Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a few thread about ear cropping and wanting people to jugde their dog on behavior and not looks. I thought there is good point to made here. It does not matter if you have a lab or a doberman, any good dog will be good and any bad dog will be bad. I believe it all on how you treat your dog, just like if you were kicked around alot then you would also be a defesive mode all the time. For as they say "Treat others as you wish to be treated."
Allie loves kids, a mean really loves them.
Every afternoon we go to the park and all the parents are just like grab your kid and run. I am like, oh she love kids. Of course I never walk up behind people and we are aware that some people just don't like dogs. So I want to share a photo of niece and son loving on Allie.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sadie loves kids too! Although she thinks that they can handle being roughhoused and tries to knock them over lol she has the best intentions lol.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
"Her" kids were the light off Cleo's life. I would like to think I'm this genious dog trainer who trained her dogs to keep a 2 foot buffer zone while still toddling and slowly decrease the zone as the kids got old enough to be "fair game". I don't think that had anything to do with it though.

Mansen loved my kids, but he didn't live for them. They were there, he didn't mind them, they were good for pettins, ok to have around but sometimes just tollerable. Of course the kids were younger then too and he was older.

So far I have to say Jordan was made for kids. He knows the big humans are good for food and treats and to go potty but the little ones are for play. So far (knock on wood) he is very gentle, laid back, and very well behaved without being mouthy and rough.

Maybe I've been lucky but as a mom I love having kids for my dobermans. LOL.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Mine love kids. They lay on the floor and let them use them as pillows to watch television when there are kids over. I find that a huge accomplishment since I don't have children of my own. They get what they get when other peoples children are around. Asher will let my niece walk him down the block nicely. I am always holding the leash since she is not much taller than him. He loves her to death. When she was smaller, he used to let her up on his shoulders for piggy rides. And no, I didn't put full weight on his shoulders. She loves to see that dog.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awww lol. Duchess goes crazy with kids lol. she does the sharp HMMMM whine...ears pinned back and wiggles her butt when she is trying to sit...and piddles like she was a puppy again lol.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I've never even heard that myth before. I thought most people knew how good they are with children as a rule. Maybe it's because I've grown up with them since I was a little girl and I show so I haven't been exposed to many doberman haters.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Petey thinks they are human chew toys! He does love them though....first little guy he was with, he almost got attacked by the little boys Rottie because he was licking him to death!

Carol

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I've never even heard that myth before. I thought most people knew how good they are with children as a rule. Maybe it's because I've grown up with them since I was a little girl and I show so I haven't been exposed to many doberman haters.
I have even read that myth in books. I don't believe it either, as I also grew up with Dobes and my current Dobes adore kids.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
The quality of the picture isn't that good, I did scan it in, this is several years ago on our vacation in spain, the dogs always want to be with the kids, these are Brutus and Lindsey, but the ones I have now are also crazy about children!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Even though I grew up with Dobes I am fully aware of all the "urban legends". I used to try to educate people, I don't anymore. Maybe it will keep people from the breed. A person I know fell in love with my Mindy, rushed out on bought herself one, found it to hard to handle and the poor girl was put outside in a cage forever more until her untimely death at age 8 or 9. ( I tried to educate her on raising a Dobe, it didn't work) People ask me if they make great pet's I say they are not for everyone and leave it at that. I have seen to many times the heartbreak of people getting a Dobe, can't won't take care of it and it wastes away in an outdoor kennel.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
There are all types of people and all types of Dobes. All it takes is the perfect match. and you guys know I found mine in Rudi. I've always thought I would like to purchase from a reputable breeder a show pup or even a pet quality.......but, I guess I kinda feel the opposite. I feel like I know what I'm getting if I rescue a dobe that is 2-3 years old versus getting a puppy. Maybe it's because I've learned a lot volunteering at the rescue. I know which ones I'd bring home and which ones would'nt be right in my household.
Rudi is just tolerable of everything. I pull on his ears and pinch his butt every chance I get. Gotta love the dobie butt.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
There is nothing better than a Doberman and children.. Doberman's are great with kids as you have found.. What a great photo to prove it..

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have honestly never heard that Dobermans do not love children. I know any that I have ever met (including the two I have owned) have adored children.

The reasons I have heard that you shouldn't have a dobe with smaller children (under 7-8) is that Dobes play rough! All puppy teeth and nails.......tackling, and crashing into them.........and I know that is the truth.......hehehehe

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I remember when I found out that Lex was coming, but she wasn't home with me yet, my MIL (RIP) was very nasty about the idea of a doberman coming to live with her grandkids. Although she wouldn't actually speak to me about it, other then off handed comments, she bent my husband's ear to no end about how dangerous they are with kids. And how could he condone putting his own children at risk.

I mean a dog is a dog, you know. Depending on a dog, any dog could pose a threat to a child. But it is a shame when you hear oh DOBERMAN'S (as a whole) are dangerous to kids.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts