Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my breeder today to see my dog, he's five weeks now and I noticed that he had a little bit of white hair and a white nail on his paw, is the color going to change or is it going to stay white?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
what did your breeder say? If you dont mind me asking who is your breeder? A knowledgeable breeder would be able to answer questions like that. Is she going to crop your pups ears before he comes home to you?

Odin my 6 month old has a random single white hair here and there, which is normal. If its in excess you could be diet related. The white nail I am not to sure about.

Please search the site some more and take in all the knowledge that is offered here.

from the looks of you last post it does not look like you are getting your pup from a reputable breeder, PLEASE PLEASE reconsider a rescue and or a reputable breeder that sends home puppies at the earliest 8 weeks but most likely 10 weeks with ears already cropped and health tested.

The Doberman is riddled with health problems because BYB do not health test and pass on preventable health problems to puppies. Temperament plays a big role as well, if the BYB did not breed 2 dogs compatible with each other or 2 dogs that have some temperament issues, know that it will be passed onto the puppies as well.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The breeder said that it would go away but I wouldn't trust his words, he seems very irresponsible to be honest, I want to rescue my puppy asap....

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
The breeder said that it would go away but I wouldn't trust his words, he seems very irresponsible to be honest, I want to rescue my puppy asap....
you will not be rescuing him, you will be providing more money and encouraging this man to produce more puppies for money.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Is the white nail on a hind paw?

A small amount of white hairs on the chest is acceptable in the doberman standard. Many times these hairs do go away as the dog matures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you. I would like to know about the white nail if anyone has information, I gave my deposit already.... Im deciding whether or not to report him

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I agree with you. I would like to know about the white nail if anyone has information, I gave my deposit already.... Im deciding whether or not to report him
before I found this site, I was about to get a dog from a BYB, I made up some excuse that my landlord wouldnt let me get a dobie and she gave me back my deposit. Even if I didn't get it back I was not going to pick up the pup, I chose to get my pup from a reputable breeder and I do not regret my decision what so ever.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Report him for what? Being a byb.....

As long as people buy from them they will continue to breed substandard dogs. The question here is:

ARE YOU GOING TO SUPPORT A BYB?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
is a white nail an indication of Z factor or the dobe is mixed?
No, it doesn't have anything to do with the z factor, and one white nail wouldn't necessarily lead me to suspect it's a mixed breed dog.

The reason I asked if the white hair and the white nail was on a rear paw was there's something called a Helios toe. This traces back to very early in the breed history, to a dog named Helios v Siegestor. He had a white toe on a rear paw, and occasionally you'll see the trait pop back up again.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
you will not be rescuing him, you will be providing more money and encouraging this man to produce more puppies for money.
This exactly. Purchasing a puppy from a less-than-reputable (to put it nicely) breeder only allows for them to breed more and produce more puppies that will be born into what seems like it's possibly a poor environment. I'd suggest eating your deposit and looking elsewhere. There are plenty of threads here that speak of the heartbreaking results of poor breeding if you need some more convincing. Just look in the health section.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have had pups that were born with a white nail once or twice in the years. These nails tho will normally be dark by a week or 10 days. This is just toe nails and no white hair. I have seen one blue with 2 white toes on the back foot. These toes had a dusting of white on top of the tan(if u parted the hair you could see tan underneath it). These 2 toes also had the normal dark stripe that goes up the toe and the nails were white. The nails darkened to the point that unless u got right up close they appeared normal but they always had a tiny bit of lack of colour on the sides with a black stripe down the middle. Took close scrutiny to notice it. The white went away by about 4 mos old but in the dogs old age it came back..well along with the white under the feet and the white muzzle..but those toes are now clearly whiter than the rest of the old age white areas.

ps..if the pup is from a BYB and u consider it rescueing it then does a white toe really matter? Just asking?

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I hate to open this can of worms but for those hardcore about BYB. Who is suppose to buy these dobes?
I bought my first dobe from a so-called BYB, because im frugal and at the time less educated on the breed. Same Breeder now fetches $2000+ for companion pets and better plan on waiting for a pup.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I hate to open this can of worms but for those hardcore about BYB. Who is suppose to buy these dobes?
I bought my first dobe from a so-called BYB, because im frugal and at the time less educated on the breed. Same Breeder now fetches $2000+ for companion pets and better plan on waiting for a pup.
No one. And in a dream land the breeder would be forced to give up the puppies for free or surrender them to a rescue, and never breed again...

·
Registered
74 Posts
No one should buy a pet from a byb. Optimally they would see the error in their ways spay/nueter everything they have and try to adopt them out to responsible homes. I would say or try to do health testing, pedigree research, titling, and all the things a good breeder does and get on the track of being a good breeder but a byb is in it for money not the dogs and wont do it anyway.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts