Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dobie is a little over 2.5 years old & over the last few months Ive noticed more and more white hairs on her & was wondering whats up with it. Ive been around dogs my whole life & only known them to get gray around their nose when they get about 4-5 & older. Could it be the fact that the blue is really strong in her blood line?

From what Ive read & looked at pictures online that 'blue' is more of a gray tint on normal black & rust but Ive seen about 5 of the litters from the breeders I got her from & each litter had a blue in it. The blue was a confederate blue with a little, i mean a little gray to it. Also, she was born with a white strip about an inch or so on her chest between the rust markings.

If it means anything, the breeder I got her from was Doug Byrd.

James

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I know that my girl Raven who is almost 6 has white hairs on her. she mainly gets them over where she has had a cut at one time or another.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Not sure if it's because she has Blue in her. But maybe? I know my Brunster has 2 white toes and WEE small, like 2-4 white hairs on his chest (I call them his "Pimp Hair" lol). His Mom is a Blue dobe. So it would make sense. But then again I have no idea if that's the case lol. Because Bruno's dad also had a small white patch on his chest.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
White hairs can show up on any Dobe of any color. Mostly the isolated white hairs are where there has been a minor injury (puppy tooth holes, scratches etc). White patches on the chest and white toes are essentially the result of incorrect color heredity. Pattern white is how you get dogs with white markings in specific locations on a colored dog--like Aussies, Boxers and Collies who often have some white on the face--a blaze, a collar, white feet etc. Dobes should really not carry (ideally) the genes for pattern white.

White on the chest is actually addressed in the standard and should be very limited in size (preferably there should be none at all). White toes used to be known as the mark of Delegate. Ch Delegate VD Elbe was a dog from the 50's who was significant in the breed--his get and dogs descended from his get often were born with a couple of white toes on a back foot. Mostly the white in these situations diminishes as the pups grow.

Blue as a color in Dobermans is actually not blue but varying shades of grey--most of the shades do have some blue tint in them. The color range can be very light to a dark gunmetal that can be mistaken for black in poor lighting.

By the way--some dogs scar more readily than others. I've had dogs who had significant wounds and never got white hairs in the scarred area when the hair grew back and I've had others where every nick and scratch produced more white hairs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah our dobe Vegas. Hes a blk/rst and his mom was a red and his dad was a blk. He has about 4 white hairs on his chest and that is it. As the post above says, the white on the chest is mentioned in the standard.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yeah, you can't even see Bruno's pimp hair. Unless you look for it. That's how faint it is.

His toes tho, I hope they don't grow out!! I picked him because of his toes ;) They are two white back toes also. But he's almost 10 months, I don't think (or at least I hope) they won't grow over. His twin has two white toes also. But her's grow over more then Bruno's and are barely noticable.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
White patches on the chest and white toes are essentially the result of incorrect color heredity
yeah the standard it says only a white patch that is no larger than 1/2 square inch is okay.
Duchess has a small white spot on her chest...and I call it my "Dice spot" cause my old dog Dice was a dalmation...since it is a spot and white... I see it as a little spot of Dice that is brought out in Duchess which we got after Dice passed

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Chi has 1 white hair right on top of her head - I plucked it once but it grew back white...
Maybe she's just early to grey - if you look at my "seawall pics" thread, you'll see Petri, who looks ancient because of all his grey but is really only 4 - he's been greying since he was around 1 though - we figure we'll have a white chihuahua by the time he's 6 :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Ever since I got Gracie she has had a grey patch on the top of her head close to her ear. She also has a small patch on one of her back legs. One single grey hair right above her nose, and a small patch on her back. Every now and then you find a new patch.

I figure they are wisdom hairs? The more grey she gets the smarter she becomes? That's what my Grandma always told me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts