Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fairly new to the Doberman world and I am fasinated by the White doberman. Now please dont get me wrong, I do NOT condone breeding them in any way shape or form.

I am however, interested in information about them. Genetics and color codeing wise. Can anyone point me in the direction of some info?

I am on the Doberman Alliance of America site.

I do have a question. The first white doberman has no whites in her bloodlines. Now if I was to purchase a puppy should I avoid any dogs that are remotely related? (pedigree at http://www.geocities.com/dpaa_03/A-ShebahPedigree1.doc)

Like lets say a pup had Kay Hill's the Wizard Witch as a great great gand dam, should I avoid the pup enirely?

Is white a mutation or are all of sheba's ansestors carriers?

Im confused

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
JennSLK said:
Is white a mutation or are all of sheba's ansestors carriers?

Im confused
First off-they're ALBINO, not white. Albino isn't a color, it's a birth defect.

The trait that causes albinism in dobermans is a mutation. All dogs that trace back to Shebah are potential carriers. Without a dna test, it's impossible to determine which of these dogs are carriers and which aren't, so the AKC instituted the z tracking system to identify all possible carriers. Since 1996, all dogs born that trace back to Shebah carry a Z as the second letter in their registration number.

There are no documented cases of albino dobermans that do not trace back to Shebah.

The best site to learn about albino dobes is http://whitedobes.doberinfo.com/

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off-they're ALBINO, not white. Albino isn't a color, it's a birth defect.
Thanx

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know if this will help any, but a friend sent this to me explaining how the mutation affects the different areas. It is really short, but made sense. So if anything is left out, please add it!

"Melanocytes are concentrated in the skin, in hair follicles, and in the iris and retina of the eye. The group of cells in the fetus which eventually develop into melanocytes, the neural crest cells, are also involved in the development of some important nervous system tissues. These include essential elements of the auditory and visual systems of the brain.

Even seemingly unrelated tissues, such as blood vessel walls, can be affected by lack of pigment. Additionally, the C and P genes are closely linked to other genes, which in some cases are responsible for other essential processes such as liver, kidney, or blood clotting function. Therefore, the syndrome of albinism can incorporate a wide variety of disorders in addition to the obvious loss of fur color.

It's very hard to determine what all the problems that arise are due to Albinism, because the canine genome project is still working on mapping the genome of the Doberman, which also includes the albinos, but we know for certain it affects the above mentioned areas, and the defect can also have problems that have gone unreported."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts