Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case any “White/Albino Doberman haters” are out there who want to go off on a rampage….PLEASE SAVE IT! I’ve already read all the “hate” some people have for White Dobermans online and don’t care to hear any more of it. We are dog lovers who want to provide a loving home for our new dobies. We have no intentions in breeding them and plan to neuter them as soon as possible.

Now that I have that out of the way…… We had the recent opportunity to adopt two White Doberman puppies from a neighbor and would like to reach out to other White Doberman owners who may have personally dealt with any health/behavior issues.
Quasimodo & Thor are nearly 4 months old and both appear to be in perfect health. Their behavior is what is to be expected of a puppy their age. About one month ago, we noticed what looked like pimples or chicken pox on the chest/belly of Thor and similar small red bumps on the back of Quasimodo. At the time, we were feeding them Kirkland (Costco) Chicken & Rice puppy food. After following the advice of their Vet, who suggested they may have an allergy to chicken, we switched them to Nutro – Lamb & Rice (our local Costco did not carry the Kirkland Lamb & Rice for puppies). It’s been nearly a month and we have not noticed any skin or diet related issues.

Are there any other White/Albino Dobie owners out there who have firsthand knowledge of health issues that are specific to their coloring (or lack coloring)?

On a side note, we also have a perfectly healthy White Boxer who according to several websites would most likely have sight, hearing, skin and/or digestive problems. This is why I am reaching out to other owners.
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Good for you for helping out the less fortunate. These poor pups. I'd like to rescue an albino dobe sometime down the road when I have the money to take care of their issues that will inevitably arise. I have no personal experience with them but I'll say good luck.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Thank you for rescuing. I have no problem with actually adopting (NOT PURCHASING) white/albino dobes. I would happily welcome one into my home.

You have two male littermates? I would think again about that. Dobermanns as a breed a very prone to male/male aggression. Things could get very ugly.

I would also check the puppy with leaning ears and post them differently. He might be developing pockets.

As for health issues, I've heard they can be sensitive to light and might need to wear sunscreen. Please, post more pictures!

Edit; thea beat me to it.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Now that I have that out of the way…… We had the recent opportunity to adopt two White Doberman puppies from a neighbor and would like to reach out to other White Doberman owners who may have personally dealt with any health/behavior issues.
Many, many people recommend against raising two puppies, especially litter mates together.

Raising two puppies at the same time
Sibling dogs: the worst of both worlds.

Quasimodo & Thor are nearly 4 months old and both appear to be in perfect health.
Same-sex aggression is a very common problem in the breed, you should read up on this, and if I were you I would consider placing one of the boys with a reputable Doberman rescue.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/dt-educational-archive/10315-male-male-aggression.html

About one month ago, we noticed what looked like pimples or chicken pox on the chest/belly of Thor and similar small red bumps on the back of Quasimodo. At the time, we were feeding them Kirkland (Costco) Chicken & Rice puppy food. After following the advice of their Vet, who suggested they may have an allergy to chicken, we switched them to Nutro – Lamb & Rice (our local Costco did not carry the Kirkland Lamb & Rice for puppies). It’s been nearly a month and we have not noticed any skin or diet related issues.
Quite a few Dobe puppies get pimples on their chin, you can do a search to find more. The bumps could be a number of things though, I would get a vet to look at them

Are there any other White/Albino Dobie owners out there who have firsthand knowledge of health issues that are specific to their coloring (or lack coloring)?

On a side note, we also have a perfectly healthy White Boxer who according to several websites would most likely have sight, hearing, skin and/or digestive problems. This is why I am reaching out to other owners.
Thank you
With any dog lacking pigment, skin cancer is a huge risk, but you can mitigate this with sunscreen.

I have heard of eye problems, and due to the high rate of inbreeding by bad breeders breeding any dog carrying the mutation regardless of temperament/health to produce albinos there are temperament problems, which will be made worse if the dog has trouble seeing. Prevention is the best cure, I would socializing the heck out of those dogs :)

Dobejazz an admin on here had an albino rescue, perhaps try sending her a message.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good for you for helping out the less fortunate. These poor pups. I'd like to rescue an albino dobe sometime down the road when I have the money to take care of their issues that will inevitably arise. I have no personal experience with them but I'll say good luck.

Try not to be too quick to say "inevitably". Like I mentioned, my white Boxer is 6 years old and has been in perfect health contrary to what many people post about them. So far, the pups are doing great and hopefully they will continue to live healthy lives. I hope the same for yours too if you ever get one.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I am pretty sure that no one here hates any Doberman.

Your dogs may need protection from the intense sunlight in Florida... they do not have the pigment to protect them from UV rays. They may have impared vision in bright light, and/or find bright light painful.

Your more interesting issue is that you have two brothers. Being Dobermans, which have a propensity to have same sex aggression issues, it is unlikely that you will be able to maintain a peaceful household and will have fighting that will escalate to a point that the two animals cannot safely cohabit. Secondarily, raising two puppies simultaniously tends to result in early bonds most strongly forming between the pups (after all, puppies are way more entertaining than humans!) and imparing the bond between the pups and humans. Two pups is about ten times as much work as one, and it is necessary to spend much time with each pup individually (walks, outings, training, playing, etc.). You would be well advised to place one of the pups now, when it is an easier adjustment for everybody, and before the bad stuff starts.

Is the collar a training collar or a fence collar?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will admit, I didn't hear the stories of owning littermates until after we had them about a month. I was going to make a complete different post about this topic. I have been reading up on it as much as I can and as long as I don't see a safety issue for them, I'm going to try to make this work.
I recently spoke with a very reputable K9 trainer about getting them enrolled in an obedience course. Then main problem I've had is getting their attention when they are playing together (or with my boxer).
If it doesn't work out I already have a family member out of state who is willing to take one.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Try not to be too quick to say "inevitably". Like I mentioned, my white Boxer is 6 years old and has been in perfect health contrary to what many people post about them. So far, the pups are doing great and hopefully they will continue to live healthy lives. I hope the same for yours too if you ever get one.
You do have to understand though that there is a difference between the white boxer and albino. The white boxer is not an albino, and while some white boxers do have skin, vision and hearing difficulties, not all of them do. ALL albinos have sensitive skin and eyes. Every single one of them, no exception. The other issues are hit and miss, more hit than miss, but not exactly inevitable.

As far as the male/male goes, you will probably not have any problems for at least the first year, 18 months even up to 3 years. During this time they are still in their juvenile stages and the changes are they care about play and not much more. The problem with male/male is that it is sudden and aggressive, typically once you've let your guard down or when they are allowed to play outside alone or in the house together while you've stepped out, because they've always done it before without any problems. When it happens it happens suddenly and without warning. Sure, it can work, but you will need to be deligent for the lives of the boys knowing that it CAN happen, even after years of them cuddling and being best buds. Your best course of action is 100% supervision all the time, knowing the cues (they can be very subtle) and having a course of action if it does happen (usually some type of crate and rotate procedure). Chances are by that time you will not want to give up one of them and will be willing to go to great lengths to keep them both, but it is time consuming and can be stressful to have 2 dogs that do live together that can't live together.

Otherwise, no problems with anybody on this board that I've ever known of in rescuing albino dobermans, as long as you don't pad the pockets of the breeders that breed them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi! From another Floridian! Goodness they seem big for 4 months! Are they both boys? I just notices green and blue collar. I only have had black and red but good luck with your pups! Good you are reaching out to others in your position for help!

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
They are very cute, I am glad you could give them a good home.
I have never had a problem with white doberman owners who recognize and deal with the color issue. I applaud those people who will adopt them and give them a good life, as every dog is entitled to, and who also do the right thing and NOT breed them. What I cannot tolerate are those zealots who insist on trying to reproduce them, thus creating more who suffer from the health issues they all face

I hope your guys grow up happy and as healthy as you can keep them. I have heard they all have inherent problems which are unavoidable, but can be dealt with and managed. I hope yours stay happy and as healthy as they can be.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm another Floridian too! @Phoenix321 if that's your area code then were neighbors!!! You should both be on my friends list!

Alright I don't have an Albino....

I do know that Kira gets "hot spots" when she gets baths or jumps into ponds... They go away...

I also now am a true believer in Sardines for good skin (her skin needed a bit of help) and coat! Read up on those posts!

The ears left like that will not end up good :rolleyesww: they will touch in the center always or lay flat ontop of his head! BUT NO FEAR, it's still fixiable:p

I've read that they do need sunscreen when they are outside for the pale skin...

Cute babies... A Doberman by any color is still a Doberman to me!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
You do have to understand though that there is a difference between the white boxer and albino. The white boxer is not an albino, and while some white boxers do have skin, vision and hearing difficulties, not all of them do. ALL albinos have sensitive skin and eyes. Every single one of them, no exception. The other issues are hit and miss, more hit than miss, but not exactly inevitable.
^ THIS!!!!

And I posted this just recently in another thread about raising puppies together...
In case I didn't stress the problems of littermate syndrome, I've known more than one pair of dogs who suffered from it and it's not JUST the dogs adoring each other, it's not JUST them being a little sad about being apart- its a total inability to have even a fleeting moment of confidence or function normally when apart, and disinterest in people while together. It was a pair of Great Danes that I saw this in, not a breed that might strike you as weak or dependent on others.
Thank you for taking these boys in and giving them a loving home. Please train them often, and train them separately- they need to be happy and confident without each other. Also I can't stress enough how much I mean this in only the best way because you obviously are a wonderful caring owner, but simply living together may really cause more problems for them in their lives than fair for anyone, and even the most experienced owners would probably rehome one of the boys.

Good luck! Please share more pictures :)

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Well, unfortunately you can't dictate what people say on a public forum.

If you rescued these puppies then great. Is your neighbor an albino breeder? If so, perhaps you should try to educated them on the standard for Dobermans.

Albino aside, if your Boxer is a male I think you should place both puppies in different homes. Male on male aggression is VERY serious in this breed. If your Boxer is female, I would recommend still placing one puppy. If you place them, you should have them neutered first to prevent any other BYB from springing up.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

As it's been said we don't hate Albino dobermans (or any dogs for that matter). We are not going to tell you to have your dogs PTS because of their color and we're not going to tell you to love them any less. They're dogs, and dobermans at that! What we don't support is the unethical breeding of Z-factored dogs. The lack of support is for MANY reasons, not just the color.

That being said, if you truly did rescue the dogs (not give money to whoever bred them) then bless you for rescuing. You've gotten plenty of warnings about the male/male aggression that is far too common in this breed. Even the most experienced of doberman handlers try to stay away from keeping two males.

I'm sure you love your dogs, boxer included, very much but I want to repeat this...
workingk9s said:
Albino aside, if your Boxer is a male I think you should place both puppies in different homes. Male on male aggression is VERY serious in this breed. If your Boxer is female, I would recommend still placing one puppy. If you place them, you should have them neutered first to prevent any other BYB from springing up.
The male/male aggression is not something to play around with. Dogs are usually fine until they hit maturity around 18-24 months and then it can all change and turn ugly. If these dogs are really rescues than I'm sure you have no idea about the parent's and their temperament. For the safety of the pups and the boxer (who I"m hoping is a female) I would also suggest rehoming at least one of them.

Edit: Also, you might want to remember this as you post here.
workingk9s said:
Well, unfortunately you can't dictate what people say on a public forum.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It seems you understood the littermate syndrome, but skirted over the male/male aggression, which is a much more serious problem IMO.

This is a quote from a poster that has years of experience raising multiple males and Dobermans. I would trust her advice/experience over any trainer, etc:

I do keep multiple males. Mostly Dobermans and have for years. However I have a lot of experience and very good dog handling skills.

I NEVER EVER recommend anyone try to do what I do successfully.

I would NEVER have attempted to add a year old intact Doberman to a household which already had a 5-1/2 month Bull Mastiff puppy in residence.

Two breeds with a likelyhood of same sex agression. Bad choice.

Ages much too similar and too young to tell if there was any hope of the two adjusting to each other. When I add a dog it's always a puppy under 6 months and the next older dog is going to be at least 2 years older or more.

Often I've kept a puppy that I was raising for a breeder who was waiting to see which of two pups from a litter were likely to turn out as the more likely show prospect. By the time they hit six months I had a very good idea if they were going to slip into a spot in the roster with ease or if they were going to hassel (and eventually fight with) the other dogs.

There have been puppies I raised that I'd have kept in a heartbeat but who didn't meet the requirement of compatability.

If I kept a dog who I thought could get along with other male Dobes and with age and maturity he decided to take on one of the other Dobes they no longer could play together without muzzles and even then with muzzles play time was short.

I NEVER leave any dogs loose together in the house when I'm not there. They are confined to separate areas or go to work with me.

I also know that some breeds will get along with anyone--neutered or not, bitch or dog--my Australian Shepherd was like that. He raised a good many Dobe puppies for me in his 13 years with me.

But the best plan is to not even try to keep two male Dobermans or a combo like Dobe and Bull Mastiff--a dog and a bitch generally will get along famously and the bitch will probably run the house.

And for all the people, even on these forums, who claim that their two Dobermans get along just fine it usually turns out that they are both puppies and what happens is that they grow to be mature adult dogs and neutered or not the guy who just couldn't believe it was ever going to be a problem finds that he's now living in a war zone and the house must be divided between the two dogs and everyone is obliged to be very aware of where each do is so they do not accidently encounter each other.
The part I bolded is the most relevant to your situation and should be stressed in this case. Everything will be fine with your pups as they mature until one challenges the other and then it's a life of crate and rotate.

I also think Dobebug is being modest when she says she has very good dog handling skills. I know plenty of people with very good dog handling skills, but couldn't handle two male Dobermans.

It would be in your pups' best interest to rehome one.

Lastly, I don't hate albino Dobermans, I just hate the people responsible for bringing them into the world.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am not fond of the practice of breeding Albino's, but none-the-less your puppies are cute! I applaud you taking them in and providing them a home.

I agree with everyone else that your most immediate concern will be male/male aggression.

I wish you the best of luck with your boys and hope you will stick around.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Geez, what is up lately?

I can think of at least two recent threads now where it's been the most chippiest-on-the-shoulderiest intros I've seen in years.

Welcome to DT.

Just a tip, but if you're going to be custodian of Albino Dobermans (they are not properly called white, btw), then approaching it with that type of attitude won't win you credibility points.

As others have said, no one here hates the albino dogs. We do despise the practices of those who deliberately breed animals with genetic defects--and those who support them with purchase money.

If in fact you actually adopted them from a bad situation, awesome. If you purchased them (even if there was a sob story involved, typical BYB tactic), then just own up, learn more, do better, and folks will cut you slack. Especially if you become part of the solution, and help to educate others, help to prevent others from making similar mistakes.

The male/male thing is real, and so is littermate syndrome.

And, here's the deal...let's say you CAN make this work, just hypothetically.

What's that old saying? Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Please think about the peace, harmony, and well-being of all involved, long term, not in the short run.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts