Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody here incorporate whistle training into their routine? thinking about adding it ecspecially for recall.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
does anybody here incorporate whistle training into their routine? thinking about adding it ecspecially for recall.
yes :)

I use it when we are off leash at the river etc. I find I am a more cnosistent trainer with it also.

Reactions: merlin00724

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Dreizehn has a recall whistle but that's the only thing so far. I like it because a whistle will cut through just about anything where as a voice, not so much.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Sharp whistle for recall with Onyx.. We can be in the forest and he'll come running to me.. It's one of the commands I don't allow him to blow off.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I practiced the whistle training today. For me, it means come back to the general area. It is not a formal come/recall.

whistle - YouTube

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
So how is it done? Do you just pair it up with your usual recall word or what?
I pair it with my recall and first and have them come in and reward. I'm also lucky that now I have older dogs who know it, and then the puppy follows. I start when they are very close to me but off leash to and make it VERY easy.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
We have a revene, at the end of our street.

When AMY was 3 months old, I took her into the woodlot and when she was sniffing around off-leash, I went and hide, 100 ft. away.
- gave the sharp whisle and when I got her attention, I yelled her name with the "come" command
- the puppy came running to me, for hugs & kisses
She caught on quickly, and we practiced it infrequently...over the years / she never forgot it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts