Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for your dobie to whine alllllll the time, my guy is 7 months old and he whines all the time for everything, not sure if this is normal or not.

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
Sorry, but Maui is 7 months old and she doesn't whine. She groans alot, mostly out of being content. When she's laying down next to me, I massage her ears and neck and shoulders, she just groans. Lets me know she's happy. :D

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Toby huffs and puffs, whines and grumbles yips and yaps, groans and moans and generally holds a full conversation with you.

When someone is outside, (at the gate or driving up the track past our house) he will bark like crazy then run back to where-ever we are and give us a full report on who, what, where and when by grumbling, yipping etc then runs back, barks some more then comes back to see if we are coming out to check on the intruder,

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Some whining is normal. However, you can easily end up teaching them to whine if you pay attention to them while they do it, unintentionally rewarding it.

I find Shanoa's whining supremely annoying, and if it goes on too long I will usually crate her.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Some whining is normal. However, you can easily end up teaching them to whine if you pay attention to them while they do it, unintentionally rewarding it.

I find Shanoa's whining supremely annoying, and if it goes on too long I will usually crate her.
Well apparently thats what I did wrong. I have had several dobies and Shilow is the first one that has had this wide of range of whinning, moaning, and what I call just flat out arguing with you. Do you have any additional ideas to help stop this ?

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Ignore, ignore, ignore. For Shanoa, crate time in this circumstance functions as a "time out." Her crate is in a room where I can close the door and ignore her. Once she settles down she gets to come back out. However, the caution here is to be careful not to turn the crate into a place of punishment. This only works for me because Shanoa really likes her crate and I don't have to do it too often.

I think it also depends on the circumstances of the whining. Is your dog doing it to get attention? Out of boredom? You need to first figure out the cause, I think.

Some whining doesn't bother me, but Shanoa can get excessive. And, obviously, that's me. Some people don't mind the whining as much as I do.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Tali is a HUGE whiner and talker. Fiona covers the grumbling and groaning. Fi talks but only when she's arguing with me about something - and she is an opinionated girl so arguments and 'discussions' are not uncommon between us! Fi also air chomps at me while arguing. And Tali air chomps at Fiona during play.

Dobes are such funny dogs. Sometimes I just start cracking up thinking about all their little quirks and mannerisms. LOL Gotta love 'em. :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Dreizehn seems to only whine on two occasions. He whines at training when he's surrounded by dogs that he wan't to play with (but can't) and he whines right before and during the time that my neighbor's dogs are in heat.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts