Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read all the past threads on the soft side crates, and I think the other consensus was that the 36" would do compared to the 42". I'll most likely get at 36, but there are two models I'm looking at. Any thoughts or feedback on them? I have a second wire crate for travel and upcoming shows. But these look handy for times when you don't want to cart a heavy crate.

P2 – window curtains over mesh windows – two entries front, top loading
N2 – just mesh windows – no window curtains – three entries – front, side, top loading

P2

N2

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I have the 36" P2 and love it but I think it's discontinued. Have you been able to find it and if so where?
I have a friend who's dying to get her hands on one. She's threatened to steal mine;)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I have a 36" P2. I love it, but can't say I wouldn't love the N2 if that was the one I had. The difference seems to be the curtains, and I've never used them.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I have the 42 N2 but wish I got the 36 N2 because the 42 is just HUGE for my boy, and for what I need it for Agility trials, it's just a little much

But I still love it!

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 36" P2. I love it, but can't say I wouldn't love the N2 if that was the one I had. The difference seems to be the curtains, and I've never used them.
And.....I think that the mesh sections on the N2 are really big, pretty much the whole side....and the P2 just has small little mesh windows with curtain. More of a solid side.

I'm TORN!
ha

The place that I am going to order from in Ontario has the N2 for sure and can most likely get the P2 as well. I'll find out tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback. Yep, I'm going for the 36. The 42 just seems HUGE! And part of the reason I like these ....portability.

I'll let you know which one I could get my hands on! I'll take a pic of little Rudy in it!

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
For a male, I'd get the 42". Especially if using for a dog show where they will be crated all day. I don't want my dogs all cramped up if crated. Also, remember these soft crates insulate body heat so if really hot, position them where you can safely have screen area exposed for air flow.

I have both the P2 and N2...P2 is sturdier canvas and screen material. I use sheets over the crates anyway because I'd never trust my boys not to dive out the screen accidentally if they took a dislike to a dog playing in front of their crate. I usually keep the back and the common side screen open (usually have 2 dogs with me).

My female fits in the 36" perfectly, and with her crate aggression, I'm glad to have the sturdier screen for her even with a sheet covering it!

** Side not: People can be so rude at shows, so I always put my chair and my bags etc in front of the crates. I was showing 2 dogs this past January. I came back to my crates to find some lady tying her shoe on top of it, the chair pushed out of the way, with her dog sniffing the screen/sheet and Cheers growling her head off inside. The lady was oblivious to the barking explosion about to occur. What is wrong with people?

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I like the P2 for Tali because she can be reactive in her crate if Fiona isn't the dog next to her, so it's nice to have curtains I can close if it's close quarters and Tali's next to a strange dog.

I like neither for Fiona. She hatched out of hers the first time she was in it, in under 2-minutes. Even bent the frame bursting out of it. So I just lug a Vari-kennel around for her crazy ass. She can get out of a wire crate too, though. So it's not to say the N2N soft side crates are of bad quality. There's just not much that will hold Fiona when she doesn't want to be contained.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I've got 2 of the N2 model in 36 inch size. My male fits in it perfectly and I love them for in the car as well. They are super easy to set up, light weight and when collapsed there is a great carrying handle.

I haven't seen the one with the curtains, but I think I would love that feature. I did reinforce the screens with "pet mesh" that I purchased at a hardware store. My shep mix female likes to scratch at the entry in front when she gets excited but she has never torn the screen. The reinforcement was just for my own comfort.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Yeah, Connor fits into a 36" one just fine. Those 42" ones are HUGE and very unwieldy. A friend of mine bought one and lived to regret it
I've got a 42" one of another brand (KONG maybe?). It's complete and utter garbage. More difficult to set up and I swear I can get 2 dogs in it easy! Not to mention that once it's in the car there is little room for anything else. Koa is a little too tall to stand in a 36" for long periods of time, but he can move around and lay in it just fine.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Oh, and in the car the bigger windows of the N2 are pretty nice. They can see out the car windows and I don't get a window full of nose prints!

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Such a dilemma! Both models are available to me. I just can't pick. Maybe I need both! ha

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
I have the 42" N2 and love it. Harvard fits in it comfortably, and if he fits in it, everyone else does too.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Where did you find this? The P2 for sure has been discontinued. PetsMart used to carry them and that's where I bought mine a few years ago. It is a pain to assemble but once it's up its a nice crate, fairly sturdy for what it is. BUT the zipper on mine broke (the main entrance door) just from regular use, no abuse. PetsMart at the time just replaced it with a new crate and almost a year later the same zipper on the second crate broke. At this point they were discontinued so they didn't have any more in stock and gave me store credit.

I was happy with the crate except for the fact that the zipper broke and with no abuse. Both times it came undone right in the corner. My guess, they used too cheap of a zipper that couldn't take going through that bend enough times.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I would LOVE a P2, but they're discontinued. If you find a place that sells them, LET ME KNOW!!!! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts