Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which heartworm/flea prevention do you prefer and why? Any particular ones I should stay away from? Which store do you purchase these from, name of the website, or do you get them at the vets office? I also live near a Costco and I have seen meds there too. Any advice is helpful!!

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I use Trifexis... I like it because well it works, and it isn't liquid

It covers: Fleas/HW/ and 3 different intestinal worms all in one pill...

It's about 100$ for 6 months I get it from my local vet

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Interceptor for heartworms/parasites

Comfortis for fleas

I chose those because they're both in pill form, I don't like the topical chemical applications, and they've been around a while and are proven prevention, I'm a bit skeptical and don't jump at new products until I know they're safe and effective. I buy prevention from a low cost clinic because they offer the lowest prices that I've found.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I also use Trifexis and love it. It works really well and since it's a pill it doesn't make a mess. I will say the pill is a little larger than some of the others, but all of my dogs eat it. I pay about $100 for 6 months as well.

Zelda-Trifexis is supposed to be the same ingredients as interceptor and comfortis just an all in one.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I know about the combo in one pill, even that makes me a bit hesitant bc that seems like a lot all in one dose. A close friend of mine recently had to have her dog put to sleep due to seizures that could not be controlled, they didn't start until she started him on trifexis. Doing some googling, it seems on other breed forums there's been the same issues and I even found a warning about it on a poodle rescue webpage. At this point I prefer to sit back and watch than switch my dogs to a different prevention. I'm sure there are many dogs that do fine on it but my gut just tells me to stick with what I've been using. Kind of comparable to a new gaming system in a way, many people go out and buy the brand new xbox or ps when they first come out but there's almost always bugs that pop up and need to be worked out.

·
Premium Member
10,150 Posts
I use Interceptor for heartworm prevention and Advantage for flea protection (if I need it--this house did not come with a yard full of fleas as some places I've lived did). I don't need flea protection most of the year but occasionally the agility trials in stock arenas turn out to have fleas. Then I do two months worth of Advantage for all the cats and all the dogs as a preventative measure.

I do not like combo products at all. Some of them end up not taking care of one of the things they are supposed to cover and if the pet reacts to one of the meds you end up not having a clue which one it was if it was a combination.

I don't have any problem with the topicals for fleas. Some of the pill formulations in combo products are the worst offenders for not dealing well with fleas--most of the ingestibles depend on a flea bite to work. If you have the bad luck for that flea that bit to be carrying tapeworm then you get to treat for tape eventually.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Two dogs are on Sentinel, one dog is on Revolution.

Luckily, I rarely have to do anything about fleas. If I do need to treat the dogs, I use Advantix (I think that's the name).

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
I use Advantix on both of my dogs, and they are on IverHeart Plus (generic Heartguard Plus). I use Revolution on the cats. I've tried the Frontline Plus for both dogs and cats, but had no luck with it. Still had fleas.

Ask your vet if they will match a catalog or website price. Mine does, so I save money, and my vet knows what my animals are on. KV Supply usually has the best prices, I've discovered. One cat takes MethioForm, and I save over $10 a bottle by price matching, and flea/heartworm meds are cheaper, also.

One thing I miss is Filaribits. Maybe the new once a month pills work better, but I hate having to remember them. Filaribits were given every day, so they were easy to just toss in the dinner bowl. Now, even with the calandar stickers, I will forget to give them the pills.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts