Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm kinda switching Arrow over to a different flavor as she changes to adult formula soon, and I can't decide which would be better! The flavors are:
Salmon, Lamb, or Bison and Venison
Which would you pick? Or which would be better as far as a better meat?

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
"better" is subjective. i try to leave at least one protein as a novel protein, so if my dog develops an allergy we have an option or three she hasn't tried.

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
Better is indeed subjective--but I would never feed lamb--none of my Dobes ever did well on it at all and recently MeadowCat put up an article about digestability of various proteins and lamb was low man on that totem pole.

You are just changing to adult formula? How old is she? Boy, my puppies go to adult foods at around 5 or 6 months.

I've had the best luck with the Dobes with either chicken or fish. Fish is always my first choice. And like falnfenix I leave at least one protein as a go to in case of a food allergy or sensitivity. I haven't fed anything beef or even Bison or Venison in years--at least 40 years and I don't switch "flavors" ever. If I have a dog that isn't eating what I put in his bowl I check my feeding technique first to make sure he isn't spending his spare time figuring out how to get what he wants by way of food instead of what I chose to feed him.

dobebug/ABTLH

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Better is indeed subjective--but I would never feed lamb--none of my Dobes ever did well on it at all and recently MeadowCat put up an article about digestability of various proteins and lamb was low man on that totem pole.

You are just changing to adult formula? How old is she? Boy, my puppies go to adult foods at around 5 or 6 months.

I've had the best luck with the Dobes with either chicken or fish. Fish is always my first choice. And like falnfenix I leave at least one protein as a go to in case of a food allergy or sensitivity. I haven't fed anything beef or even Bison or Venison in years--at least 40 years and I don't switch "flavors" ever. If I have a dog that isn't eating what I put in his bowl I check my feeding technique first to make sure he isn't spending his spare time figuring out how to get what he wants by way of food instead of what I chose to feed him.

dobebug/ABTLH
She's 1, her breeder had suggested I keep her on puppy formula until she was two since her line is slower growing, and that's what she did with all the puppies she kept and they did better. I'm gonna try and have her on adult by 1 1/2 once we get through the bags. I tried to pawn some off on a friend who got a new puppy, but they didn't want any they're feeding Victor so I'm stuck with it. My dad wouldn't stop ordering the auto ship so I have like five bags left ugh. I guess I'll keep her on the salmon then. I didn't know if bison and venison would be more nutritionally complete being a red meat.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
15,015 Posts
I'm with dobebug in that I've never had a dog do really well on lamb based kibble. They always had the most horrendous, noxious flatulence...

Simon came to me on a beef based kibble, but had constant loose stools until I made an abrupt and complete change to a salmon based kibble.

I do change foods every so often. I used to change brands and protein sources with practically every bag I bought, but somewhere along the line started just feeding the same old same old. (Probably when it was easier to just set up an auto-ship.) They've been on salmon based food for several years now, so I'm going to try a chicken based kibble for a while.

As far as quality goes, my dogs have tended to do best on a "three star, middle of the road" kibble. Ironically, some of the foods they did the worst on were high-end, super-premium (and super-pricey) kibbles.

If you get your food from Chewy, you can just go to your account and change the food you get. I'm always tweaking my orders. You could probably donate any bags you already have but don't want to use to a local shelter or rescue.

Reactions: dobebug

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, as somebody with German shepherds (and golden retrievers), my dogs do very well on lamb. My golden ate lamb based kibble exclusively for two years because it’s the only kibble she didn’t get a rash on. To be honest, my shepherds will eat absolutely anything without question and do well on pretty much anything, so I’m not sure if it may be a breed thing since multiple Doberman people say their dogs haven’t done well on lamb. That’s an interesting thought.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as somebody with German shepherds (and golden retrievers), my dogs do very well on lamb. My golden ate lamb based kibble exclusively for two years because it’s the only kibble she didn’t get a rash on. To be honest, my shepherds will eat absolutely anything without question and do well on pretty much anything, so I’m not sure if it may be a breed thing since multiple Doberman people say their dogs haven’t done well on lamb. That’s an interesting thought.
I have a German shepherd, not a doberman too actually. But lamb from what I've heard tends to be a good one for allergies that are horrible. I had my allergy ridden dog on lamb for a bit until she became allergic to that too. I use lamb treats as high value for Arrow, and was leaning away from food that flavor because of it. Every breed has their quirks I guess, salmon seems to be a good all rounder for almost every dog from reading.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
15,015 Posts
The dogs I fed lamb based kibble to were a Dachshund x Cocker Spaniel cross, a Standard Rat Terrier, a mutt, and a GSD. The Doxie x Cocker was the only one of them who tolerated it.

Reactions: dobebug

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
The dogs I fed lamb based kibble to were a Dachshund x Cocker Spaniel cross, a Standard Rat Terrier, a mutt, and a GSD. The Doxie x Cocker was the only one of them who tolerated it.
I'm the one who tried multiple versions (over about a 20 year time span) of lamb--all of the Dobes on all of the lamb based kibble did the same thing--after three or four weeks on a lamb based kibble their coats lost some gloss by six weeks I was needing to keep increasing the amount of food in order to keep weight on the dogs who were showing in conformation and that in turn (because it was just plain too much food) caused soft stools to outright diarrhea. I tried four different manufacturers lamb formulas and the only dog who tolerated it was the Aussie--he actually ate the remains of three partial bags of lamb based kibble because I stopped feeding it to the Dobes. On chicken based or fish (usually salmon) based kibbles the coats on the Dobes went back to their normal very shiny appearance and I could reduce the amount of kibble they were getting to keep them in show weight.

I always thought that I could feed the Aussie floor sweepings and he'd have done fine on that or anything else. But the Dobes sure did not do at all well on lamb.

All of the lamb formulas came out about the same time and were definitely advertised as THE answer to food allergies--because at that time most dog kibbles were beef based, a few chicken based and only one fish based--and all of the lamb formulas except one that I tried used some sort of legume as the carb part of the kibble formula--one used lentils, one used peas--don't remember what the third legume one used but the fourth one was rice. So it was a novel ingredient. Since none of the Dobermans had allergies and I don't even remember exactly why I even tried it--that was a lot of years ago for me. As it turned out a good many years down the line after lamb first appeared on the dog kibble market the allergists decided that food allergies were a lot less common as a skin and coat problem than things like inhalant and contact allergies were.

More recently I've wondered with the most recent information about using legumes as a major component of some of the kibbles (to hike the protein levels) if that wasn't part of the problem for some of my Dobes--but they had the same issues with the one that contained rice so it wasn't the only problem.

dobebug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts