Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is 9 weeks yesterday, and I'd like to get her in conformation event (assuming she has what it takes, I'll post picks later of her for critic). Would I enter her in puppy 4-6 month event or a conformation event, and then indicate she's a pup?

And if she's not conformation material, would I just enter her in 4-6 and pick obedience, rally, or agility (although, I thought you weren't supposed to do agility until they were older).

Also, is there a competition/titles for bite work? Or does AKC have nothing to do with them?

I'm a TOTAL newbie, but want to have fun with my dog, get some titles, be a legit breeder...

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
okay, first and foremost: when is the event? you can't enter her before she's 4 months old. once she's old enough, simply enter her in the appropriate age group.

secondly: was she sold to you as a show prospect?

third: i believe UKC is involved with bitework, but am not sure. there are some folks here who train and trial in bitework, and they'd be your best sources for this.

fourth: is your breeder involved in any of these decisions? if you intend to become a reputable breeder, the person from whom you bought your puppy should be involved as a mentor, particularly if you've never done any of this before. where did you get your pup?

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
oh, also: do not underestimate the value of a training class specifically for handling/ringcraft. i would urge you to look into and possibly join the dobe club in your state, as members will be able to help you out a GREAT deal with all of this.

Reactions: Rootstudio

·
Got mutt?
13,643 Posts
My pup is 9 weeks yesterday, and I'd like to get her in conformation event (assuming she has what it takes, I'll post picks later of her for critic). Would I enter her in puppy 4-6 month event or a conformation event, and then indicate she's a pup?

She would have to be at least 4 months old, but not 6 months old to enter this class. It's not a regular class, so not all shows offer it. If the show you want to enter does, put "4-6 month puppy" in the dog show class blank.

And if she's not conformation material, would I just enter her in 4-6 and pick obedience, rally, or agility (although, I thought you weren't supposed to do agility until they were older).

She has to be at least 6 months old to compete in obedience, rally, or tracking, 12 months old to compete in a Coursing Ability Test, and 16 months (I think) to compete in agility.

Also, is there a competition/titles for bite work? Or does AKC have nothing to do with them?

While AKC doesn't issue IPO (bitework) titles, it does have a title recognition program that will add any titles earned with certain organizations to your dog's AKC pedigree. American Kennel Club - Parent Club and Working Dog Titles

I'm a TOTAL newbie, but want to have fun with my dog, get some titles, be a legit breeder...
Thanks!
Okay... you have part of the right idea. However, your questions are kind of all over the place.

First off, what lines is your dog from? That is one of the big determining factors about what sport(s) to focus on. Is she from American show lines? European show lines? European working lines? Is she from "I've got two purebred Dobermans, lets have puppies" lines? You've asked about AKC conformation shows, so we'll start there. If she's from American show lines, and was sold as a show prospect, then she should do all right in the AKC show ring. If she's from Euro show or working lines, maybe not so much. If's she's from "hey, lets have puppies" lines, it's even less likely that she'll do well in the AKC ring.

Any sport(s) you try can, and should, be fun for you and your dog. However, some require more time, money, and dedication than others. If you want to do IPO, then you ill be dedicating a LOT of time into training. Finishing a dog in the conformation ring can be costly.

After titling, you have to do health testing, which is also costly, and some (like hips) can't by done until they are at least 2 years old.

If she's titled, passes all her health checks, then you can think about breeding her.

Reactions: falnfenix

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is great! Thank you for you valuable input. I got my pup from Barb Valerio's Kyron x Taboo litter. Barb is an AKC Breeder of Merit. Barb mostly shows in agility, but her dogs are working on bite work too. I didn't buy my pup as a "show prospect" in conformation, specifically, but all her pup *should* perform well in agility when trained properly.
Her site is barnicdobermans.com, if that helps.

Barb is certainly able to help, however she lives 5 hours away from me and I think I'd like to find another mentor closer to home to assist on a more regular basis.

I'm not a lazy person, I can put in the work required for a sport title. However, being a total newbie, I think I would prefer to start easy and learn my way to more challenging sports. Any advise on that, also?

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
in that case: definitely look up your local DPCA chapter if you intend to do conformation...or any sport, to be quite honest. local mentors are great to have on hand, and if you're willing to learn they'll be a wealth of information. ask them about a local training club to get you (and your pup) trained in sport.

·
Got mutt?
13,643 Posts
Okay, I took a look at her website. From his pedigree, your pup's sire is from Euro show lines. Since she doesn't have the registered names or pedigrees of her bitches listed, there is no way to tell what lines they are from.

Actually, her website raises several red flags to me. She has lots of pictures of her dogs' ancestors, but very few of her own dogs. She is breeding the one dog to three different bitches, none of which have their registered names shown. She is selling the puppies on full registration based on whether or not you want to fork over the extra money, not on the puppy's merits. She is charging extra for ear cropping. One very important thing I don't see is any health testing, other than vWD. Did you see hard copies of the health testing results for both the sire and dam? Did you see the results of their holters, echos, thyroid and OFA hip rating? This thread http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/109570-registration-health-clearance-documents.html shows examples of the certificates that you will be wanting to see.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
oh, that's no good.

her website won't load - must be too much broken code, my blockers have all prevented it from loading properly - but i was hoping she'd have that info posted.

Reactions: Rootstudio

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I'm confused about whether you really are interested in conformation or if you're just interested in obtaining any title so you feel you can breed.

The thing is...conformation isn't easy. It's not cheap either. It's also not usually something that many dogs who aren't from champion parents are successful in.

Euros generally don't do well in AKC conformation rings.

·
Shake n' Bake
839 Posts
Coming from Barnic I can tell you she, unfortunately, will not do well in conformation. I would spay her when the time comes and do agility/obedience/etc.

Barnic competes in agility one dog at a time but she also breeds her bitches back to back to back to inhouse studs. She is one of the breeders who can fool well meaning buyers that aren't taught to see the red flags. Train this girl, compete in agility or another venue you choose and in the mean time get a mentor and learn about proper breeding and get a good, fresh start :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts