Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of y'all who raw feed, do you feed your dogs inside or outside the house? We currently raw feed our little maltipoo and feed her in her crate but for a big dog like a Dobie I'm thinking that might be a little different. Also, how do y'all make the freezer space for all the different varieties of meat? Do y'all have a feeding recipe schedule of sorts I could look at? Much thanks! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started feeding my pup raw about 3 weeks ago. There's no turning back for me! Better digestion, shiny coat, happy dog :)! I purchase my raw food from my training center Maximum K9 (Shop - Maximum K9 Service). They're based on Long Island, NY, but will ship nationally. I've found they have the best prices around. I actually find their prices for the pre-made food cheaper than DIYing myself. Maximum has a nutritionist on staff that comes up with the formulation. After a very lengthy chat with her, I gained a lot of comfort in their product.

Maximum K9 sells their product in 2 lb rolls containing muscle meat, bone, organ meat and some vitamin supplements. I currently have 20 or so rolls in my freezer, and it doesn't take up much space. About the same amount of space as a few packages of meat or chicken - however, i do store it in an extra freezer we have.

Depending on the weather, I either feed my dog out on the patio or indoors. He's a pretty clean eater. However, i do disinfect his eating area after every meal.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I started feeding my pup raw about 3 weeks ago. There's no turning back for me! Better digestion, shiny coat, happy dog :)! I purchase my raw food from my training center Maximum K9 (Shop - Maximum K9 Service). They're based on Long Island, NY, but will ship nationally. I've found they have the best prices around. I actually find their prices for the pre-made food cheaper than DIYing myself. Maximum has a nutritionist on staff that comes up with the formulation. After a very lengthy chat with her, I gained a lot of comfort in their product.

Maximum K9 sells their product in 2 lb rolls containing muscle meat, bone, organ meat and some vitamin supplements. I currently have 20 or so rolls in my freezer, and it doesn't take up much space. About the same amount of space as a few packages of meat or chicken - however, i do store it in an extra freezer we have.

Depending on the weather, I either feed my dog out on the patio or indoors. He's a pretty clean eater. However, i do disinfect his eating area after every meal.

Hope this helps a bit.

How old is your pup and how much are you feeding him right now ?

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,606 Posts
I've been feeding raw for 12+ years now. I just feed out of their dish. Both Sugar and my old gal, Coco (miss you my girl), knew they need to eat their food at their dish and not walk around the house.

I wash bowls but not fanatically. I wash my hands as I do when I handle raw meat to cook for us. I have one compartment in the fridge for dogfood and the freezer in the fridge in the garage is where the frozen food is kept. I have also stored our frozen meat in their on occasion when I have run out of room.

I have a raw dogfood place by my house that I have always bought my food at. I don't feed premade raw. My store only sells human grade raw so perhaps that is why I don't really see it any different than what I feed us except for the bones and the ground bone mix!!

In the summer I give Sugar a raw bone or windpipe to chew on in the backyard which he likes. I did the same with Coco.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I, too have been feeding raw to my Dobermans and 3 Chinese Cresteds for 11 yrs now. Raising puppies on raw makes it so much easier. The smell, the clean up and the way they look. I get my raw from a game processor here in Utah. Venison, Elk and sometimes buffalo with kidney, heart, etc and 15% ground bone. Flash frozen in neat 1 lb pkg. I do admit it takes up most of my freezer as you have to buy in a box of 50 lbs. and my daughter stores her frozen raw in my freezer, too. The cost averages about $2.75 lb. I, too would never go back. I do feed my dogs a high quality kibble so they can get used to it. When we go on trips or camping I just can't take the raw and will feed kibble at that time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I feed raw too, but am newer at this. So I buy pre-ground from a place nearby. They combine meat, bone and organs with vitamins added. I buy bulk (cheaper) and repackage into 1 lb portions. I get chicken, beef and turkey and rotate every few days. I also add a raw egg or a spoon of plain yogurt or cottage cheese to breakfast plus fish oil. I feed in her crate and her bowl is clean... I mean really clean when she's done. Still wash it after every meal. Bones, chicken feet, turkey necks she gets in her crate so I can clean after, or outside now that the weather is better. I'll also give her a rabbit foot, fur and all, here and there. 😝

Bought small separate freezer just for my baby's food. Her fur looks good and glossy.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Doberdemon, I have to admit I probably could not go that far. I am a believer, but not sure I would be that committed if I gave feet, fur, necks and the whole kaboodle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Doberdemon, I have to admit I probably could not go that far. I am a believer, but not sure I would be that committed if I gave feet, fur, necks and the whole kaboodle.
Lol, I was squeamish at first too. The first chicken foot dangling out of Lokka's mouth as she tossed it around was sooooo hilarious. She didn't really know what to do with it, but figured it out quick. I took a video for work and grossed out my office coworkers.😆😆 Best laugh I had in long time. Gave up my morning coffee run so my girl can have the extras. The lip smacking, anticipation and little stub wag are so worth it.🤗

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,606 Posts
I feed feet too! I love seeing a chicken or duck foot hanging out of their mouths 🤣😂. Coco loved chicken feet and Sugar loves duck feet.

I also feed rabbit feet and ears with the fur on. It grosses my husband out but it doesn't bother me.

You should try it Cressrb! Your dogs will love it!!

Reactions: melbrod
1 - 11 of 11 Posts