Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to get more proactive about Carson's weight. More exercise is not an option, he has arthritis and so do we...

I have a recipe I used years ago that gave me super results and has dicalcium phosphate as an ingredient.

I have found it at equine stores, but the smallest I've found is 30lbs....

Any ideas as to another source?

Also, I'm open to food ideas for helping him loose weight. I've already reduced kibble to 1/2c with green beans for one meal, and 12 oz of premade raw for another. He weighs 100+lbs, I'm thinking 90 should be our goal.

I'm afraid of losing nutrients simply by cutting back on amounts of food fed, in relation to fillers.

ETA. He is having a blood panel run this week, just to make sure everything is in the normal range

Oops, just realized this should have probably been in the non-doberman area.
Mods please move if necessary.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Why could you not use something like bone meal, instead?

One of the sorriest lookin' dogs I ever saw was about knee-high to my short self. She looked like a watermelon with sticks for legs; when I put her on the scale, she weighed 94#. She had been living for the past six months on one cup of Beniful Healthy Weight kibble per day (310 calories). She was simultaniously obese, malnourished and starving.

It is entirely possible to feed so little that a dog's metabolism goes into starvation mode and virtually shuts down, and uses nothing. A dog in this state requires more food to begin losing weight, not less.

What kibble are you feeding, and what raw? Do you have an idea of the caloric content that you are providing per day?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Personally, I'd just cut back on his food or calories vs changing anything assuming he's doing well on what he's being fed. I'd ask the vet how much to reduce per meal and go from there.

How bad is his arthritis? Can he go for walks at all? My older Vizsla was just diagnosed in very early stages. Lots of jumping/landing result in limping. BUT my vet wants me to keep her active as long as possible (and so do I for my SANITY!). I have her on half a full dose of Metacam daily and it's working well so far.

Reactions: EmilyB

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
Would Carson swim, and do you have somewhere to do that? It's great exercise and doesn't put a lot of pressure on the joints.

Reactions: EmilyB and Adara

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why could you not use something like bone meal, instead?

What kibble are you feeding, and what raw? Do you have an idea of the caloric content that you are providing per day?
He is on Nature's Variety Kibble and raw. 1 cup kibble = 391 calories and 8oz of raw = 520 calories, so if I am doing that right, roughly 900 calories a day.
Plus green beans.

I suppose I could use bone meal then. It's just a basic lean beef, carrots and rice recipe that worked well for me in the past.

Personally, I'd just cut back on his food or calories vs changing anything assuming he's doing well on what he's being fed. I'd ask the vet how much to reduce per meal and go from there.

How bad is his arthritis? Can he go for walks at all? My older Vizsla was just diagnosed in very early stages. Lots of jumping/landing result in limping. BUT my vet wants me to keep her active as long as possible (and so do I for my SANITY!). I have her on half a full dose of Metacam daily and it's working well so far.
He is on NSAIDS and Glycoflex III. He is actually doing a lot better. Because of his size, temperament, and our physical health, we have had to come up with alternatives to going for a walk. Time boarding at the trainer's, a private park where he can get lots of exercise retrieving (probably 2-3 times a week as a rule). So it's not that he doesn't get any exercise. Just not enough probably.

Would Carson swim, and do you have somewhere to do that? It's great exercise and doesn't put a lot of pressure on the joints.
Carson would love to swim. And actually has in the past, after he was diagnosed with HD years ago. After his TPLO, his temperament changed drastically, whether or not it was maybe related to pain, I don't know. He now has to be muzzled around people he doesn't know and isn't dog friendly anymore. The girl who used to swim him isn't there any more, and the others aren't into that type of temperament.

Unfortunately no secret swimming holes guaranteed to have no one around I'm afraid. When I win that lotto, I'm buying a house with a pool but until then, SOL on the swimming I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts