Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking for a place to crop my dobe bandit's ears in a couple of weeks when he is 3 months. I am in Livermore, CA so somewhere in the tri-valley would be preferred but I can drive if need be any recommendations? also can you include how much they charged if you remember thanks.
-Damon

·
Got mutt?
13,848 Posts
No vet recomendations, but most Dobes are cropped between 7 and 10 weeks. Waiting until 3 months is pushing it. You might think about just leaving them natural.

·
Super Moderator
15,551 Posts
Most cropping experts will tell you the best time for ear cropping is 7-9 weeks, so if your puppy is already 9 weeks you will want to make a pretty quick decision. If you were unaware this is usually something that's taken care of by doberman breeders before they send puppies to their new homes. I would say ask your breeder but one probably won't be much help. If you like I can add your location to the thread title so folks who know of a cropper in your area will be more likely to reply. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh really i was told by the breeder that i had to do it between 12-16 weeks but i will start looking to do it now then thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Reputable breeders take care of it before puppies go home - usually 7-9 weeks. I might try asking someone in the local Doberman club although most of the breeders I know fly someone in or drive the puppies. Not sure if there is anyone locally they recommend.

Home

Reactions: PatchworkRobot

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
These 2 vets were recommended by a veteran dobe owner. I have no idea if they are close to you.

Dr. Hoskins at Redwood Vet Clinic
Dr. Popkins at Sequoia

Also recommended:

Dr. Cynthia Standley of Cherry Chase Vet Hospital in Sunnyvale used to crop for Windsor Dobermans. Not sure if she still does.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
It may even be worth the drive to LA to Dr. Jezberra or Dr. La Bounty.

Dr. Frace does decent ears in Sacramento, but for me he is too inconsistent.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Dr. Hoskins and Popkins are in Santa rosa. We are about 2 hours from you if you are in Livermore. I have had Dr. Hoskins do several of my dogs and litters and love his ears. Hate his posting method though, so I would suggest finding someone else to help you with that. Good luck!

ETA: Get them done now! Don't wait any longer! I do my pups at 7 weeks. Hoskins charges about $500. Popkins is a bit more.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
First, Welcome to DT, from a fellow Livermoron. I grew up in Livermore, graduated from Livermore High..... and travel back *home* 2-3 times a year to visit family still in Livermore... well, you get the picture.

Tevro Dobermans is in Hayward, don't know much about them, other than Marge Brooks handled some dogs for them and they bred to Jet a couple of years ago, but have seen a couple of their dogs and ears are lovely. May want to check with them and see who does ears for them. Also Soquel Dobermans is in Watsonville, you could check with Linda and see who is cropping for her these days. Both breeders will come up if you google them.

Once last thing.... there used to be a Vet in Pleasanton that did a fabulous job with ears, but it has been 10 years since I lived there, and he would be pretty old now, so have no idea if he is still even there anymore. All I can tell you is that his last name started with a C and I know for certain that he was NOT at Amador Valley Vet Hospital. I believe he was either at P-Town Vet or Town & Country.

Good luck to you.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Also recommended:

Dr. Cynthia Standley of Cherry Chase Vet Hospital in Sunnyvale used to crop for Windsor Dobermans. Not sure if she still does.
No, the husband in the Windsor doberman family is a DVM, and he crops the Windsor puppies. He *does not* offer cropping to his clients, tho, from what I've heard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts