Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to get Diesel a 30 foot leash so if we're in a field or an open space with no fence so he can run around and also to do training with. Any suggestions on where to get one that's not a ton of money? It doesn't need to be anything fancy.

Also I've heard people suggest a lunge (sp?) line? Can someone explain what that is and if it's better then a regular long leash?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
With Diesel dragging around a 30' lead, you want something very light.
So I recommend buying the finely braded polyester thin/strong line (mine is a light tan color), from a hardware or building supply.
Its not the stiff yellow nylon stuff...that doesn't kold a knot well and the ends like to unravel.
Tie a clip on one end, a knotted loop in the other end...and use your 5-6' regular leash with it, so it doesn't cut into your hands.
- very effective solution...and you can probably, get a line package of 100 ft. cheap - so make 2 lines, that can be joined together

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With Diesel dragging around a 30' lead, you want something very light.
So I recommend buying the finely braded polyester thin/strong line (mine is a light tan color), from s hsrdware or building supply.
Its not the stiff yellow nylon stuff.
Tie a clip on one end, a knotted loop in the other end...and use your 5-6' regular leash with it, so it doesn't cut into your hands.
- very cheap & effective solution...and you can probably, get a line package of 100 ft. - so make 2 lines, that can be joined together
This may sound dumb but why something light? Not that I was looking for a heavy leash I don't want to have something too heavy.

Will this last even when he's stronger and not just 35lbs?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
30 Ft. Cotton Web Training Leads: ThePetStoreOnline.com
(basic cotton)

Long Dog Leash, Soft Tubular Webbing in 10 to 30 feet
(super soft)

Dog Collars & Leashes: Cotton Web Leads at Drs. Foster and Smith
(30 and 50 foot leads)

All the above are pretty close in priceing and would all be good.
I also have picked up some nice cheap ones at dog shows, the last one was a 30' safety orange for about $8, a lot of vendors can be pricey but there are usually cheap ones too, I got my girl a tennis ball on a rope for $2 and a huge yoga ball size tennis ball for $10 that though semi deflatted is still a fave! all from the same place as the long line.

Good luck in the search!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
30 Ft. Cotton Web Training Leads: ThePetStoreOnline.com
(basic cotton)

Long Dog Leash, Soft Tubular Webbing in 10 to 30 feet
(super soft)

Dog Collars & Leashes: Cotton Web Leads at Drs. Foster and Smith
(30 and 50 foot leads)

All the above are pretty close in priceing and would all be good.
I also have picked up some nice cheap ones at dog shows, the last one was a 30' safety orange for about $8, a lot of vendors can be pricey but there are usually cheap ones too, I got my girl a tennis ball on a rope for $2 and a huge yoga ball size tennis ball for $10 that though semi deflatted is still a fave! all from the same place as the long line.

Good luck in the search!
Thank you! I'll check those links out.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Personally I would just get some strong nylon rope, learn to splice it and make your own. That's how we made ours. You can get sturdy bull snaps at Tractor Supply or any hardware store. I prefer 3-strand twisted rope because it's easier to splice a loop into (instruction video here: Splicing a Loop Into The End Of A Rope (Part 1) - HD - YouTube I don't use the tent stake thing... just use your fingers, it's not difficult) and you just splice a loop for the bull snap swivel, and then splice a loop as a handle. You can also wrap the spliced part in duct tape but really, if you've spliced it right, it will not come undone, it will be as strong as the rope itself.

The best part of this is that you can make it as long as you want. I made one out of 100ft of rope to take to the beach. Apart from that, splicing's just a handy skill for a dog-owner to have... I've used it a lot making dog toys (rope toys, flirt poles, spring poles, etc) and leashes and such :)

If you'd still rather buy one, Leerburg has these:
Leerburg | Heavy Cotton Tracking Line
Leerburg | 3/8" Bevis Tracking Line

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I would just get some strong nylon rope, learn to splice it and make your own. That's how we made ours. You can get sturdy bull snaps at Tractor Supply or any hardware store. I prefer 3-strand twisted rope because it's easier to splice a loop into (instruction video here: Splicing a Loop Into The End Of A Rope (Part 1) - HD - YouTube I don't use the tent stake thing... just use your fingers, it's not difficult) and you just splice a loop for the bull snap swivel, and then splice a loop as a handle. You can also wrap the spliced part in duct tape but really, if you've spliced it right, it will not come undone, it will be as strong as the rope itself.

The best part of this is that you can make it as long as you want. I made one out of 100ft of rope to take to the beach. Apart from that, splicing's just a handy skill for a dog-owner to have... I've used it a lot making dog toys (rope toys, flirt poles, spring poles, etc) and leashes and such :)

If you'd still rather buy one, Leerburg has these:
Leerburg | Heavy Cotton Tracking Line
Leerburg | 3/8" Bevis Tracking Line
Could I just buy a clip to attach To the loop so I can put it on his collar?

Thank you!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
ROPE: all kinds of rope, including nylon rope, manila rope and polypropylene rope
Solid Braid Nylon Rope
Properties:
- great strength, smooth surface, abrasion resistant, will not twist, will not unravel, cannot be spliced, will absorb water -
BEST USES:
winches, blocks, pulleys

Diameter...Tensile Stength...Price Per Foot
1/8"................570 lbs..............$0.22
3/16"...............825 lbs.............$0.24
1/4"..............1,325 lbs.............$0.34
3/8"..............3,050 lbs.............$0.77

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I got a 26 foot retractable leash off eBay for about 12 -15 bux. Good up to 100 lbs.
I wouldn't use for walking but good for training and extending distance.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ROPE: all kinds of rope, including nylon rope, manila rope and polypropylene rope
Solid Braid Nylon Rope
Properties:
- great strength, smooth surface, abrasion resistant, will not twist, will not unravel, cannot be spliced, will absorb water -
BEST USES:
winches, blocks, pulleys

Diameter...Tensile Stength...Price Per Foot
1/8"................570 lbs..............$0.22
3/16"...............825 lbs.............$0.24
1/4"..............1,325 lbs.............$0.34
3/8"..............3,050 lbs.............$0.77
I could make all kinds of things with all those choices haha

Thank you :)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, that's what I was trying to say but I was having a hard time explaining it, haha. Rope + snap is cheaper than buying an already-made leash. We've made multiple for our girls.
Yea that does seem easier. Is it reliable? I don't want it to come undone and him get loose.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you splice it properly it is very reliable. MUCH more reliable than a knot. If you get braided instead of twisted you will have to tie a knot. Bonnie has always been a leash-and-collar breaker and she hasn't ever broken our home-made leashes. Just make sure you get good hardware and don't get a rope with a working load limit less than 200lbs. In reality the rope is at least twice as strong as the working load limit.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you splice it properly it is very reliable. MUCH more reliable than a knot. If you get braided instead of twisted you will have to tie a knot. Bonnie has always been a leash-and-collar breaker and she hasn't ever broken our home-made leashes. Just make sure you get good hardware and don't get a rope with a working load limit less than 200lbs. In reality the rope is at least twice as strong as the working load limit.
Thank you!

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
You could also look at Academy or Gander Mountain. They each have a selection of bird dog supplies, and should have 30' check cords/long lines. I know they have training dummies, which are Ilka's favorite fetch toys.

A lunge line is usually heavier than a long line. If you go with a lunge line, make sure you get one without the nose chain.

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
7 Posts
You could pick up a lunge line at any local tack store. They are used for exercising horses in a circle. They come in either cotton or nylon and have a snap at one end and usually a loop at the other. Cheap, handy and already made! I have several in my tack room - most horse people have them around.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You could pick up a lunge line at any local tack store. They are used for exercising horses in a circle. They come in either cotton or nylon and have a snap at one end and usually a loop at the other. Cheap, handy and already made! I have several in my tack room - most horse people have them around.
Would they be good for what I'm looking for?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts