Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this should be under health, maybe off topic, move as needed...

Where is the balance between teeth "cleaning" toys/treats and tooth damage/health detriment?

Dry kibble is good for helping keep teeth clean: Check
Magnum inhales dry kibble so I worry about that and mix water and "pre bloat" his food to slow him down. Not good for oral care.

Rope toys are good for cleaning teeth: Check
Magnum eats the rope.

Bones assist in keeping teeth clean: Check
Magnum breaks/cracks teeth crunching bones. There only seem to be two types of bones in Magnums world, the ones he can bite and break in to pieces (sometimes sharp pieces) and the ones that he breaks teeth on.

Tough rubber chewy toys, some designed to help clean teeth: Check
Do a pretty good job with the front teeth w/ Magnum, squat for the rear teeth.

Kibble dispensing toy/puzzle to slow down (still won't make him chew) the inhalation of dry?
Rope that is digestible and won't cause a blockage?
Are antlers an alternative for a "bone cruncher"? Will they crack/splinter like bone?

I am not sure what to do.
I have made changes to my work/life schedule and will begin brushing his teeth MUCH more frequently. Any recommendations on toothpaste? All I have tried (or maybe just the brushing) he has not liked. It is one of the few battles I have with him.
I have tried feeding kibble a few bits at a time, but he just doesn't chew.
Should I just bite the bullet and get them professionally cleaned quarterly? Is that too much anesthesia time to be healthy/safe?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
What bones do you feed him?

My pups get marrow bones but those are mostly for the marrow. The bones themselves don't do much for the dogs, but they will crack their teeth on them.

I also give my pups chicken wings, chicken thighs, chicken whatever (lol) and turkey necks. They eat these completely, meat and bone. It's eating these bones (smaller, easy to chew up and grind, and safe when not cooked) that cleans their teeth.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Kibble sticks to teeth anyway similar to candy.

I give bones the dogs can eat for teeth cleaning (even when I'm not feeding raw). Edible bones are great for teeth. Chicken or turkey leg quarters, backs, thighs (if they don't inhale - Flirt chokes on thighs), lamb shanks, turkey wings, beef rib bones. Also raw bones are fine and meant to be eaten. no cooked bones!

I don't give hard soup or marrow bones.

I've never in 20 plus years had to have a dog's teeth cleaned. Gabby just got rave reviews about her teeth and she's 9. I also would NOT put my dog under just for teeth unless medically necessary.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Have you tried raw bones? They are much safer for chewer then cooked bones. They dont crack and break into sharp pieces.

I buy large soup bones from my grocery store and offer one every week or so. I also give him bully sticks, and frozen kongs.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
What bones do you feed him?

My pups get marrow bones but those are mostly for the marrow. The bones themselves don't do much for the dogs, but they will crack their teeth on them.

I also give my pups chicken wings, chicken thighs, chicken whatever (lol) and turkey necks. They eat these completely, meat and bone. It's eating these bones (smaller, easy to chew up and grind, and safe when not cooked) that cleans their teeth.
Kibble sticks to teeth anyway similar to candy.

I give bones the dogs can eat for teeth cleaning (even when I'm not feeding raw). Edible bones are great for teeth. Chicken or turkey leg quarters, backs, thighs (if they don't inhale - Flirt chokes on thighs), lamb shanks, turkey wings, beef rib bones. Also raw bones are fine and meant to be eaten. no cooked bones!

I don't give hard soup or marrow bones.

I've never in 20 plus years had to have a dog's teeth cleaned. Gabby just got rave reviews about her teeth and she's 9. I also would NOT put my dog under just for teeth unless medically necessary.

Thanks for starting this thread...I had some questions about teeth/raw too.

I give Rowan raw bones to chew sometimes, but I'm sure he is not getting enough for teeth cleaning (mostly larger marrow and knuckle bones). His teeth look pretty good, but he is still young. I want to supplement more raw into his diet to help with that, but how much/often is enough? Would you recommend giving small amounts in addition to his regular kibble? Or more like replacing a meal completely? Daily? Weekly?

Reactions: madmyk

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
I use arm and hammer toothpaste (beware, if you get it on your hands, they will smell like chicken for HOURS).

And yeah, I don't think any dog LIKES having their teeth brushed, but much like nail clipping/trimming, its something that you just have to accustom them to. In addition to this, once they're good with the brushing, you can visit your dentist and ask for an old scaler (they just throw them out) and you can scale the back teeth a bit, the tartar just flakes off in big pieces.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I will not give my dogs any weight bearing bones, antlers, or hard chews like nylabones that puts them at great risk for breaks and fractures.

I brush my dogs' teeth(not as often as I should) and they don't really mind, but they also don't have a choice. If they don't like the toothpaste, tough cookies.

Their main diet is kibble but I do give them RMBs to help with the teeth:
Beef Gullets, Turkey Necks, Chicken Backs, and Chicken Necks mainly.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread...I had some questions about teeth/raw too.

I give Rowan raw bones to chew sometimes, but I'm sure he is not getting enough for teeth cleaning (mostly larger marrow and knuckle bones). His teeth look pretty good, but he is still young. I want to supplement more raw into his diet to help with that, but how much/often is enough? Would you recommend giving small amounts in addition to his regular kibble? Or more like replacing a meal completely? Daily? Weekly?
Those are the wrong kind of raw bones for teeth cleaning. Those are more likely to do damage to the teeth than anything else. You need the meaty ones. It is the process of the dog grinding the meat off the bone that helps clean the teeth.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Those are the wrong kind of raw bones for teeth cleaning. Those are more likely to do damage to the teeth than anything else. You need the meaty ones. It is the process of the dog grinding the meat off the bone that helps clean the teeth.
So what would be good enough to keep the teeth clean without brushing? For example, Give maybe half kibble for dinner with a turkey neck or chicken thigh or something? Or would that not be enough?

And do you think that will make him a pickier eater?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Long ago, galaxy far away... used to do marrow bones, beef ribs (cooked and raw), pork femur, etc. The ones he couldn't break, broke his teeth. The ones he could break would end up shards.
Chicken/Turkey necks, doesn't even chew. Bites them into small enough to inhale portions.
I have stayed away from chicken leg quarters for fear of splintering (guess it isn't a issue raw?) and have never considered lamb.

I have given him raw beef rib and he makes some sharp bits out of them, that has scared me away from them.

I have not done the bully stick thing much. I will, but the whole thing makes me mad. I remember when they "first got popular" and were CHEAP. Rightly so, they were a waste product. Also, just wierded (guy thing?) me out feeding a bull penis to my dogs. Now the things are freakin' sky high in price, at least where I can find them.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
So what would be good enough to keep the teeth clean without brushing? For example, Give maybe half kibble for dinner with a turkey neck or chicken thigh or something? Or would that not be enough?

And do you think that will make him a pickier eater?
Honestly, from my experience, unless they are on a completely raw diet(not pre-made), kibble with just RMBs here and there will not do the whole job. I'm not sure if kibble with RMBs every day would do the trick though, other members with that experience would have to weigh in on that.

It has not made my dogs picky eaters but every dog is different. They really like their kibble. If they become picky.......tough love! :)

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Long ago, galaxy far away... used to do marrow bones, beef ribs (cooked and raw), pork femur, etc. The ones he couldn't break, broke his teeth. The ones he could break would end up shards.
Chicken/Turkey necks, doesn't even chew. Bites them into small enough to inhale portions.
I have stayed away from chicken leg quarters for fear of splintering (guess it isn't a issue raw?) and have never considered lamb.

I have given him raw beef rib and he makes some sharp bits out of them, that has scared me away from them.

I have not done the bully stick thing much. I will, but the whole thing makes me mad. I remember when they "first got popular" and were CHEAP. Rightly so, they were a waste product. Also, just wierded (guy thing?) me out feeding a bull penis to my dogs. Now the things are freakin' sky high in price, at least where I can find them.
Prime has gotten to where he eats a Turkey necks in 2 bites. Ugh. I have found that beef gullets do the trick for those that inhale their raw bones. The gullets are big so they have to chew on them. I have some thawing in my fridge now and will be giving them out this evening. I can get it on video for you, haha.

I don't have a shard problem with the RMBs I give, I did when I used to give marrow and knuckle bones.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The bully sticks can be expensive, but I try and shop around. I work at a Petsmart, so when in a bind and I cant find any on sale, at least i get a break in the tax.

Just recently found the 4 to 6 inch pieces for 5 for 10 bucks. I snatched up 5 and will be back this week to grab some more. These are the perfect size. I'd bought a few 12 to 16 inch ones and just felt like it was too much to be giving all at once.

Honestly, from my experience, unless they are on a completely raw diet(not pre-made), kibble with just RMBs here and there will not do the whole job. I'm not sure if kibble with RMBs every day would do the trick though, other members with that experience would have to weigh in on that.

It has not made my dogs picky eaters but every dog is different. They really like their kibble. If they become picky.......tough love! :)
So far my boy hasn't turned his nose up at anything I've offered him. Though, he did eat salmon based kibble with little enthusiasm. lol! I too would do the tough love thing. lol!

Prime has gotten to where he eats a Turkey necks in 2 bites. Ugh. I have found that beef gullets do the trick for those that inhale their raw bones. The gullets are big so they have to chew on them. I have some thawing in my fridge now and will be giving them out this evening. I can get it on video for you, haha.
Please do!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I got video of Prime and my parent's Border Collie eating gullets. He's 9 and loves it.

The one on the right is the full size of one. He had eaten most of the one I gave him.
b9x_Wrf-GUA

MOiRfjWa7_w

·
Registered
625 Posts
I get bullys from here (Odor Free Best Bully Sticks) - Odor Free ones and I usually have jumbo and large ones here at the house. I buy in bags of 25 to get the best price, so it stinks at the time but then I don't have to buy any for a while.

I've been wanting to experiment with some raw chews, so this thread has been helpful for me, thanks guys.

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
So, now I'm curious... I'm not particularly interested in feeding raw, but after watching this, I have to wonder... does anyone in mid-to-northern Canada feed raw? And if so, where on earth do you feed your dog in the winter?? (I'm just picturing a giant bloody mess on my kitchen floor twice a day.. yuck!)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
So, now I'm curious... I'm not particularly interested in feeding raw, but after watching this, I have to wonder... does anyone in mid-to-northern Canada feed raw? And if so, where on earth do you feed your dog in the winter?? (I'm just picturing a giant bloody mess on my kitchen floor twice a day.. yuck!)
I am in California and I feed raw. My dog eats outside in the summer but in the winter he eats inside on a towel.
I bought a really cheap plastic table cloth at walmart for $2 and I am going to cut it up into squares and teach him to eat on that. Much easier to clean lol.
If all else fails, he eats inside his crate and I wipe it with disinfecting wipes after.

I had to train him to eat in one spot though. I tethered him to the kitchen table with nothing but his towel and he picked it up real fast. I just have to keep an eye on him or every so often he'll try to drag it onto the couch UGH

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
I am in California and I feed raw. My dog eats outside in the summer but in the winter he eats inside on a towel.
I bought a really cheap plastic table cloth at walmart for $2 and I am going to cut it up into squares and teach him to eat on that. Much easier to clean lol.
If all else fails, he eats inside his crate and I wipe it with disinfecting wipes after.

I had to train him to eat in one spot though. I tethered him to the kitchen table with nothing but his towel and he picked it up real fast. I just have to keep an eye on him or every so often he'll try to drag it onto the couch UGH
That makes total sense, thanks! And I can only imagine the couch situation, I have a hard time keeping mine off it just with treat chews, I can't imagine a big goopy bone. :p

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
That makes total sense, thanks! And I can only imagine the couch situation, I have a hard time keeping mine off it just with treat chews, I can't imagine a big goopy bone. :p
Half the time I give my dogs their raw treats inside the house. I just feed them in their crates and let them chill out for a while with it, then I disinfect the crate pan when they are done.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ZR, quick question:
Forgive my ignorance of cow parts, but is beef gullet the "proper" name? Called a butcher near by and they had no clue what I was asking for...?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts