Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lil man is 11 wks and he squats when he urinates. Is that all puppies at this age? And at what age will he start to lift his leg to go pee?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had a Weim that never consistently lifted his leg to pee, of course he was neutered very young and that might have played a part in it.

My unaltered Axel is 7 months now and he still doesn't lift his leg either. So at 11 weeks, squatting is normal.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My boy hiked his leg for the first time at the dog park when he was about seven months old... for a long time, the tree was named Reuben's Mandog Tree LOL!

He did something odd that surprised me. He was almost two when his elder female companion was euthanized, and he instantly and entirely quit hiking his leg in his own yard (but continued to hike anywhere else off the property). Some months later, a new puppygirl came and he resumed lifting his leg in the yard the minute she toddled into the house.

If your Leo is neutered prior to beginning to lift his leg, it is likely that he will squat either always or usually.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
My dog is almost 3 and doesnt lift his, thank GOD! ( i think this behavior is discusting- along with licking urine on the ground, humping, etc)

Reactions: King Leonitis

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
When he feels like it.

Though at 11 weeks that won't be happening any time soon. I think Koa was also around 7 months when he started lifting.

It amazes me that people always want this to happen sooner. When they start lifting their leg they're generally non-discriminate about what else they lift their leg on. Like the sofa.

And yes...all puppies squat at 11 weeks of age.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
:roflmao:When will my puppy lift his leg to urinate??

^^^^ I had a buddy that got a GSD pup and wondered, about this to:
And with male dog maturity, it finally happened, one day...he peeded like a big boy.

Friend was so proud, until he wondered why his factory car rims, was rusting and chrome peeling off - on his garage kept pampered car.
- watch what you wish for...LOL...enjoy the squart, for now / piss stink in the garage, is not pretty, when there is a 1/2 acre yard ignored, out back

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When he feels like it.

Though at 11 weeks that won't be happening any time soon. I think Koa was also around 7 months when he started lifting.

It amazes me that people always want this to happen sooner. When they start lifting their leg they're generally non-discriminate about what else they lift their leg on. Like the sofa.

And yes...all puppies squat at 11 weeks of age.

Umm i didnt think of it that way. i had a doberman when i was 15, he was an adoptee and he was old. At first he was good with everything, perfectly trained when i got him. A little too well-trained i would say. He wouldnt lick, bite, jump up, couldnt even drag him onto the couch or the bed. But one day he lifted his leg on the couch and no matter what we did we couldnt get him to stop. He died a year or 2 later but point is I DONT WANT TO GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN! Thanx for all the advice. I will be happy with the squating for awhile!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Toby will be 18 months in 6 days time and he kind of stands spread eagled to pee but shows no sign of cocking his leg (as we call it) and I don't think he is going to start any time soon.

My lookout on it is, if he is happy, then I am happy. Besides my 2 male Terriers cock their legs on an Olympic scale which has to be seen to be believed.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Man oh man. This is the only thing disquesting about male dogs.

And...why do men (people) have to do the same thing? Men always want to have to pee on something...like a fence tree etc. Is it monkey see, monkey do? Because, people do not carry the need or instinct to "mark." But they do it too!

Anyway, I was looking at my pieces of old x-pens I had put away. I use to have to have them around my trees. Because, the constant peeing on a tree will eventually kill it.

And, my yard is like a private park. So I have to go back to fencing around my lovely trees so as not to have them killed by urine.

I wish they never lifted their leg. But mark they will.

You can look for this at the mark of adolescence.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Bronson started lifting his leg at around 6-7 months. Hes over a year now and half the time he still squats like a girl.
I prefer the squating, most of the time when he lifts his leg he pees on one of his front feet.
:rolleyesww:

·
Banned
422 Posts
My boy is 13 weeks, and so far he is still squatting. I agree with others though, I would rather have him squat then lift.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
:confused: Why does everyone find it so disgusting that males lift their legs? It's the way a male canine marks his territory. Maybe you all should stick to females in the future LOL. :p My males have always been around 6 -7 months old, Monty was younger, I think about 4.5 months because he was always following his big bro Petey around and learned from him. None of my males has EVER marked in the house.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
None of my males have ever hiked their leg in my house. If they did, it would only happen once. :) This is a training issue. So is humping-that just doesn't fly in my house, it wouldn't be tolerated.
Same here if one of my boyz lifted his leg in the house that would be the first and only time. I rent a lot of houses for vacations and always follow the dog around for the first day just to make sure they don't lift their leg, there is always the chance that another dog has done so in a rental. I've only owned males and NONE have ever humped anything or anyone, the very first time they try they are re-directed, another training issue IMHO.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Buddy just turned 6 years old last Saturday he has never hiked his leg that is fine by me,never marked in the house ever.He would think his world was ending if he marked,you should have a list of allowed things and not allowed marking and humping not allowed at my house.It all in how you train them, + Buddy was neutered early per agreement with breeder and he just has a sister(Dachshund) not around any male dogs is why he does not hike I think.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Whiskey didn't start lifting his leg until almost 10 months. I wish he never had... now it takes him 10X longer to sniff around and pee on every stick, shrubbery, weed in the yard. He does NOT take my current outerwear and the weather conditions (i.e. rain and cold) into consideration.

Dear Whiskey,

Please start squatting to potty again. My shoes haven't dried out properly since two nights ago when we were outside for 25 minutes in the rain.

Best regards,

Mum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts