Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys need some advice, i have recently taken over a four month old male doberman puppy. the previous owner had him for a week. i have taken over the puppy for a week now and have the crate in my room for the past week. i tried moving the crate outside the bed room today and the puppy wont stop barking and appeared distressed as he was scratching against the cage vigorously when he saw me leaving his line of sight. it wasn't bed time, but i was trying to see if i am able to have him in the crate even though it wasn't bed time. is it too soon to move the cage out of the bedroom, did i make a mistake by relenting and moving the crate back into my bedroom.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
I don't know if I'd really call it a mistake but my puppies usually have a crate in my bedroom until they are at least 6 months old. But I also have a crate in an area adjacent to the kitchen (where I seem to spend a lot of time--it's a wire one (the bedroom one is one of the vari-kennel type closed plastic) and I use it for time outs, for a place for the puppy to go while it's learning that watching quietly (in the crate at the beginning) will earn it treats and attention too.

I think you didn't let the puppy who has had two major moves in his short life have the comfort of a crate near you at night. I wouldn't have tried the move so soon but I don't think you made a mistake in moving it back in. You really don't want a newcomer to have a full on freak out because you are the only thing now that is consistent in his life and it looke to him like that was going to suddenly change (again).

I'm sure he didn't just "appear" distressed. I'll bet he was really upset by that move.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
22,576 Posts
At that age, I usually have a crate in my bedroom (for night time) and at least one more in the area we spend most of our time in (living room)...then maybe another in my home office, too :) The crate is pretty close to my bed so the puppy knows I'm right there, can see and smell me, right when they come home. It's a big transition to go to a new home! In other areas, I want puppies to see the crate as a good thing, so I provide good things for them to do in there - good chew toys, stuffed Kongs, that kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
I too crate puppies in my bedroom till they are about 6 months and then they sleep on a dog bed in our room. Your puppy is still trying to figure out what is going on in his world - so keeping things consistent and steady for now would be fine in my book.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if I'd really call it a mistake but my puppies usually have a crate in my bedroom until they are at least 6 months old. But I also have a crate in an area adjacent to the kitchen (where I seem to spend a lot of time--it's a wire one (the bedroom one is one of the vari-kennel type closed plastic) and I use it for time outs, for a place for the puppy to go while it's learning that watching quietly (in the crate at the beginning) will earn it treats and attention too.

I think you didn't let the puppy who has had two major moves in his short life have the comfort of a crate near you at night. I wouldn't have tried the move so soon but I don't think you made a mistake in moving it back in. You really don't want a newcomer to have a full on freak out because you are the only thing now that is consistent in his life and it looke to him like that was going to suddenly change (again).

I'm sure he didn't just "appear" distressed. I'll bet he was really upset by that move.

dobebug
ya thanks for the advice, i figured it was abit too soon as well after reading some of the post online. thanks for the advice i guess ill just wait for abit more before trying again. after all like you mentioned he moved to two new locations in a short span of two weeks. i guess i shouldn't rush him out of the bedroom so quickly. his crate is beside my bed where he can see me. anyway thanks for the advice, appreciate it much.

·
Premium Member
8,805 Posts
Yep!
This is your time to bond with pup and establish trust.
Dog is probably very uncertain about the world so far with all the changes.
But thats OK because they are real smart and pick up on daily patterns.
They like a daily routine, eat a certain time….out at a certain time…consistency with their handlers, etc.
So take it slow by showing love and praise praise praise for any positive behavior that you notice.
Negative behavior….you can work out those kinks in a few months once your relationship is established.
For now let your love grow together.
Stay in touch with all us as we have some really experienced dog owners that can help you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep!
This is your time to bond with pup and establish trust.
Dog is probably very uncertain about the world so far with all the changes.
But thats OK because they are real smart and pick up on daily patterns.
They like a daily routine, eat a certain time….out at a certain time…consistency with their handlers, etc.
So take it slow by showing love and praise praise praise for any positive behavior that you notice.
Negative behavior….you can work out those kinks in a few months once your relationship is established.
For now let your love grow together.
Stay in touch with all us as we have some really experienced dog owners that can help you.
yes definitely will stay in touch, thanks for the advice, hes getting better and better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts