Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard you can start going from 3 meals per day down to 2 meals per day around 6 months old. Does this seem accurate?

Red is 6 months old now, but he's always so ravenous that I'm afraid he will starve all day if I just cut out the lunch feeding, even if I make up for the loss in calories by adding more at breakfast and dinner.

At what age did you stop feeding 3 meals per day?

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Yikes, no wonder he is growing so fast!!! We cut that meal out when Petey was around 4 months old, and by 5 months he was a RAW puppy( ground meal in am and bone meal in pm.) but the "experts" on here would know better for sure about kibble feeding. Now at nine months he is starting to cut out his own morning meal, I think the wild growing days are winding down......thankfully, because I bought a Doberman not a Rottie!!!

Carol

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
It is definately time to cut him back to two meals - it will make your life easier! Give him a couple of treats around lunch time and he will be fine.

Reactions: Burns

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Carol and velmadobe :) I was thinking this was the time, but I know Red won't be too happy about it, LOL! I'll tell him my friends on the dobe forum made me do it ;)

Man, I feel like you ask all of the questions about Red that I am wondering about Wonder. He's just a wee bit older than the Wonder dog. :) So, um, ask away! Hehehe...
haha cool :) Well at least we both get our questions answered. I love this place!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
rah's over 2 and still ravenous all day long! he could eat day in, day out if i let him - heck, the day he had a partial obstruction, i realized he was sick because he didn't finish a bowl of food. how's that for sensitivity - some people have dogs that skip meals all the time, mine don't come running and start hopping and jumping all over the place (even tyler at almost 11 years old hops and scratches the doors and screams for food), then they are dying and need to be rushed to my clinic ASAP!!!!!

i think you can safely cut him to 2 meals now.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I've heard you can start going from 3 meals per day down to 2 meals per day around 6 months old. Does this seem accurate?

Red is 6 months old now, but he's always so ravenous that I'm afraid he will starve all day if I just cut out the lunch feeding, even if I make up for the loss in calories by adding more at breakfast and dinner.

I don't have any hard and fast rule-but generally my puppies are down to 2 meals per day by 5 months or so.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have always started my Puppy's on 5 meal's a day at 16 week's they go to 4at 6 month's they go to 3 and at a year old they go down to 2 meal's a day and stay on 2 as adult's breakfast and dinner.

Maureen / Mo

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, thanks guys. I'm going to start transitioning him to 2 meals/day. Just have to make sure the hubby doesn't continue to overfeed! :p

·
Registered
414 Posts
Lucan is 7 months and I've just cut him down to 2 meals a day. I give him more in the morning and evening now but it probably doesn't equal as much as he was having with 3 meals. He still leaves a few kibbles in his bowl so I figure he's getting the right amount. I was giving a few dog biscuits at noon but that resulted in horrible gas so we've discontinued that!

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was giving a few dog biscuits at noon but that resulted in horrible gas so we've discontinued that!
hmm, Red has bad gas during car rides, and while he is napping. Silent but deadly!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
We used to have problems with gas with Jada but since she has been switched over to RAW - very very little gas. YEAH!

·
Premium Member
10,132 Posts

I stop feeding three meals a day at about four months--give or take a couple of weeks. Usually what has happened by then is that the puppy has taken to messing around with a couple of the meals--not eating them well and sometimes not eating any of the meals well. A breeder long, long ago told me when that happens you should go to one less meal but the same amount of food. His theory was that the puppy was getting so much food so often that they never actually were feelilng hungry between the meals.

So if I'd been feeding three meals at one cup per meal (for instance) I'd cut back to two meals at 1-1/2 cups per meal.

Actually at six months most of my males have been eating 4 to 6 cups of kibble per day--split into two meals and none of them have been interested in three meals. I'm surprised that Red is still wolfing down three meals a day.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually at six months most of my males have been eating 4 to 6 cups of kibble per day--split into two meals and none of them have been interested in three meals. I'm surprised that Red is still wolfing down three meals a day.
I have no idea how much food he'd eat if I let him! He inhales his food like it's his last meal - every single time! I cut back to 2 meals per day for the last couple days, and he seems fine.

What kind of food do you feed your dogs? I'm giving Science Diet Large Breed Puppy (dry and canned) right now and I only feed 3.5 cups of dry, and 2 cans (5.5oz) per day. He was getting chunky, but then I found out my hubby was overfeeding him on the kibble. He looks better now that he's cut back again, but I plan on keeping a close eye on him in case I need to give a little more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts