Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help_up_2

I have a 14 week old Dobe pup. Is is too late to have her ears done ! Please advise...

Thanks

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Generally I don't think many people reccomend cropping after 10-12 weeks. BUT a member here - Ilovemydobie31 - had her boy's ears done at 14weeks and as far as I know, his ears healed and are successfully standing. Hopefully, she'll see this thread and pop in to give you her account of cropping later than most. I think I remember that Apollo's ears bled a little more initially than most though, but I could be wrong....

·
Super Moderator
15,568 Posts
I think 14 weeks will be fine (depending on ear thickness and length of crop) I've heard some have had sucessful crops at even 6mos.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
It depends on how experienence the vet is also! and the length of the crop some times. We have a vet in our area that will not do them pass 11 weeks and then another that will do them at 16 weeks so it is best to check with several vets. good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ears were done today. Jasmine is doing fine. We pick her up on Saturday. I can't wait......:)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey, how are the ears doing? Hopefully everything went ok and she is recovering well.

Best of luck.
Naveen

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jasmine Update: The breeder called me tonight and wants to keep her through the first tapping/rolling. I guess all good breeders will do that. I was not aware of that. The vet said it is also best to keep the pup with the mother during this procedure. I think it is best for Jasmine. So (sadley) it looks like I have to wait two weeks until all the stiches are out and the first rolling takes place. I think it's best for Jasmine.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I am asking this out of simple curiosity and certainly don't want to make an "issue" of it. Did the breeder crop or take the pup to the vet to have it done? I guess I'm just confused why she sold you and uncropped dog and then decided it was best to keep it for 2 weeks... I would imagine that good breeders who assists in the aftercare of the pup's crop, would have the pup cropped at a younger age and all set when it was time to go to the new owner...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh trust me I called the vet and verified that she was there at the vet office and that the cropping was done at the vet. Lot of people in this area prefer the natural look in Dobermans. He gave us the option to take the dog to our own vet etc.. We choose to let him do it givin that he has the most experience and the bitch and sire are on site. I called the vet to confirm that everything went ok. I guess the ears tend to bleed more when they older. Everything appears to be ok at this point. The breeder has been calling us nightly with updates. Great at communication and giving us updates on her. We were a little sad that we will not be able to get her on Satrurday.....:-(

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
theuer said:
Oh trust me I called the vet and verified that she was there at the vet office and that the cropping was done at the vet. Lot of people in this area prefer the natural look in Dobermans. He gave us the option to take the dog to our own vet etc.. We choose to let him do it givin that he has the most experience and the bitch and sire are on site. I called the vet to confirm that everything went ok. I guess the ears tend to bleed more when they older. Everything appears to be ok at this point. The breeder has been calling us nightly with updates. Great at communication and giving us updates on her. We were a little sad that we will not be able to get her on Satrurday.....:-(
I see. I was under the impression you already had her at your house - but you didn't. You agreed to buy her and were supposed to pick her up on Sat. but since you've decided to have her cropped, the breeder wants to keep her through the first taping. Make's sense to me. I think most breeders keep their pups for a period after the crop but I don't think many give the choice of natural or crop either and the pups are all done much younger. At any rate, I'm happy she's doing well and look forward to more pics. I'm sure you're all very anxious to get her home and spoil her rotten :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
She's looking good. Her ears look just like Princess's ears.....lol

Naveen

1 - 20 of 20 Posts