Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been talking to breeders, a couple have either just had pups, or are expecting pups very soon. So far, we've discussed practicaly everything except money. My question is when is the proper time to ask what the pups are going to cost? I don't want to make the breeder think I'm bargain-shopping, but I also don't want to make one or more hundred-mile drives, or fall in love with a puppy, only to find out it's way out of my price range.

I'm looking to spend around $1,000 on a puppy. Am I in the ballpark, or should I expect to spend more than that?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I think you should be right up front with the cost of a puppy if you are a breeder.. it would be like blah blah blah .. health test.. blah.. breeding.. whelping..blah.. what are you looking for... about you... cost....Why would they hid it????? I am a pretty up front type of person.. I would kind of say to them, well you have given me lots of information on your Dobermanns and your breeding program, I would like to know what sort of cost I am not looking at so I can start to plan for my puppy.
Good Luck!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
As usual i'm a mine of useless information because i can only tell you U.K. prices,good puppies are between £500 to £800 sterling the higher prices being for show quality dobes.Converting to $ and if prices are about the same then your $1000 should get you a prime example,i wish you all the best in your quest and hope you are as lucky as i have been with my girls.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A lot depends on what part of the country you're in and what breeder you're dealing with. Also, I've found that references and reputation can count for a lot. If you have a DPCA chapter club near you, join it. Get to know some of the folks in your area that can vouch for you as a good home.

I've only bought one dog, the rest have all been rescues. But, I got litter pick for far less than his pet quality siblings sold for because I had people the breeder knew that would vouch for me as a good home and someone who would stick by their word and finish the dog.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Price was one of my first questions. I felt a little awkward about it because i didn't want to sound cheap but some breeders around here are definitely in it as part of their primary income. Since many breeders treat this as a business (need to for income tax purposes anyway) I'd ask pretty early. It really eliminates a lot of work when your second or third question is how much? and then you can hang up when they tell you $2,500+. The attitude seems to be that since both parents are champion dogs that the price goes up. Why are we breeding dogs that are not champion dogs (or a titled working dog)?

When I got my puppy I was definitely on a tight budget and ended up spending more than I'd originally expected, but hopefully, you get what you pay for. In my area (Southern Ontario) I've never seen a Doberman for less than $1,500 canadian, generally closer to $2,000. (not counting the pennysaver ads for $500 puppies)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I agree with everyone so far, you should get that taken care of as early as possible before you feel like you have to take the pup home.

Also on a side note: Wow $1000 seems like a good amount and I don't think you should have any problems finding a pup for that much. Unless you are looking for champion blood lines. I guess I got lucky with the price I paid...

Good Luck

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well here.. there isnt many show pups.. they are just pets. so here 500 is good price. friend was selling his for 100, But again ONLY pets, he also let you have the option if you wanted to do the ears or not.. cause there are only 2 vets here that will do ears.
So if you are looking for a decent dog 1000 doesnt sound bad. But make sure you check out the parents good and what not to see what you are getting.
I know im not much help. since i dont show or anything like that.

·
Super Moderator
15,534 Posts
A pup is a big investment. Ask for a health certificate and guarantee of health. Most breeders will offer these anyhow. $600-$1000 should be a good range for a "companion" pup (you are not paying for the puppy really, you are paying for all his/her medical bills). Let breeders know exactly what kind of pup you are looking for and they will adjust the price accordingly. Imo price is always the last question you should ask a breeder. fFnd the breeder you want and make the commitment (good breeders do not want to charge you an arm and a leg for a companion who has no chance at conformation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When we were looking here in Southern California last summer it seems to me that all the Doberman pups started at $1000 and went up from there depending on the pedigree or kennel . Then of course if you have to get the ears done you can add on another $200 to $400. I will say though that they were all pretty up front about their pricing. I see you are in So Cal also, we ended up going with a really nice woman in Lake Elsinore who has been breeding Dobermans for over 50 years.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Chaz, I also agree w/being right up front and not wasting your time or the breeder's. I kept the info in a notebook of each breeder I spoke with including the specs on what they told me about their litters. In my area, it's the opposite of DobiLove's situation--it's become difficult to find anything OTHER than very expensive show-quality pups ($2,500+). As was said earlier, region does play a big role. Frankly, I resented some of the "attitude" I encountered that...how shall I put this nicely...companion dobies (and the people who want them as pets) are considered somehow of "lesser" quality than a show dog or a protection-trained dogs and their owners. I hasten to add that it wasn't always that way but that's simply the way it's become here now. Anyway, personally I cast a wide net over a wider region and narrowed down the list according to my personal priorities (health, temperment, parents on premises, references, PRICE, etc.), trying to remain objective and not falling hard for each one of those cute mugs. After getting initial info, I would keep in touch w/the breeder via e-mail for pup updates (hmmm...pupdates??). Usually they will send you pics to save you an unnecessary trip. Also, just a reminder...don't forget to (1) check out the breeder; and (2) factor in the considerable cash output for proper puppy medical care and feeding once you get your new best buddy home. Good luck and I'm sure you can find a fine pup in your price range.

--Sooz

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Although price should not be the determining factor of the pup, let's be realistic about it... It is a HUGE factor. You might find a breeder that you really like but if they're out of your price range, you can like them til the cows come home and still not be able to afford one of their dogs. I'm with the school that says be up front with the breeder - that way you're not wasting anyone's time.
There has been discussion in this thread about pet v. show quality. Doberkim mentioned long ago (and I have to say that I agree with her) pet people should not settle for lesser quality dogs just because they don't want to show. Meaning, don't go to a lesser quality kennel/breeder in search for your pup. I'm sure our show people and breeders here can give a precise percent, but not the all pups of a great litter are going to be labled as show quality. The remaining pups will be just as healthy and sound as the "show" pups but will have "flaws" such as ear or tail set not exactly right. Even though these flaws are there, the intent of the breeder was to breed the best litter possible. That is what you should be and probably are looking for.
If this forum has taught me nothing else it is that we really need to do our homework before picking out a pup. I know when I get another I'll do a lot more research and work than I did when I got Chi.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I agree with Dobedad, I to am in Ontario they all seem to be between $1500.00-2000.00 cdn. My breeder charges around this, she does all the testing on hers dobes, the parents are both champions, ear cropped, pet insurance, dewclaws, first shots etc. are all included. That to me is alot of money but I rather pay that then someone who charges alot less but does not do any testing etc. or try to improve the breed.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Oh sorry, to really answer your question, after my breeder found out a little more about me and what I was looking for we then discussed price...she brought it up. Plain and simple here is the price. Had she not brought it up at the point I would have. This was by email and phone. I would not have driven all the way to her place without knowing the price.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Here is another way of looking at it. Over a 10 year span, $2000.00 means 200.00 a year...is it worth it, yes if all things are a go re: good breeding, testing, etc. that's how I look at it anyway.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
We paid just under $2000 for our baby girl. Any cropping was done by an experienced vet, all shots, etc were included in the price. Breeder was practically 'on call' for us, answered emails the same day. Had me drive back to her home to have tape changed on ears for the first while. Worth every penny for a healthy, sweet-tempered dog. Have seen prices as high as $3000 from breeders whose dogs do not have the AKC wins you'd expect at that price. I think this is quite high, especially if you don't intend to show or breed a winning animal. I made it very clear that I didn't have the time to show a dog on the AKC circuit. Java was considered a companion pet, mainly because she had a funny vertical wrinkle on the bridge of her nose, but as her skull grew, the wrinkle flattened out. Her sibs are being shown and are doing well in the ring. Temperament and health are key - meet the parents and decide from there. If the breeder is difficult from day one, move on - imagine what they might be like if a serious health issue occurs with your pup!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts