Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at this Breeders website, and she sells her pups with natural tails and ears, but once you get the pup you can crop the ears and tails...

Is this normal? is that too late to get the tail cropped, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi! No it is not to late and the reason they are not doing it before they sell them is because some people are against cropping and docking. Some people won't buy dogs with cropped ears and docked tails. I am against it my self so I under stand that. It is not to late to crop and dock. I hope that helps. Good luck! Good Bye!

·
Registered
421 Posts
If she is telling you it is safe to dock after that long she is not worth looking into. I bet she does it to differ the cost. It is sick and sad. Most breeders will have crop done but it isn't that unusual to get it done yourself. The dock should be done at *I think no later than three days. You should tell that lady she is putting all her pups at risk by teling people that. I can't believie someone would say that!

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
joce said:
If she is telling you it is safe to dock after that long she is not worth looking into. I bet she does it to differ the cost. It is sick and sad. Most breeders will have crop done but it isn't that unusual to get it done yourself. The dock should be done at *I think no later than three days. You should tell that lady she is putting all her pups at risk by teling people that. I can't believie someone would say that!
I agree 100%

The tail and the dew claws(sp?) should be done just days after birth. The ears get done a few weeks after birth and they should be almost 100% completley healed with little to no scabbing before you take that puppy home.

DA

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paige said:
Hi! No it is not to late and the reason they are not doing it before they sell them is because some people are against cropping and docking. Some people won't buy dogs with cropped ears and docked tails. I am against it my self so I under stand that. It is not to late to crop and dock. I hope that helps. Good luck! Good Bye!
She isnt doing it because some people are againest it, she's doing it to comply with the Danish law? For the life of me, I cant tell if she is in the states or in Danish-land(I SUCK at Geography) She said that She doesnt care if people crop them or not.

See, I thought tails were done with in days of birth..

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
LCGSDmama said:
She isnt doing it because some people are againest it, she's doing it to comply with the Danish law? For the life of me, I cant tell if she is in the states or in Danish-land(I SUCK at Geography) She said that She doesnt care if people crop them or not.

See, I thought tails were done with in days of birth..

Tails should be done within days of birth. They can be technically done at anytime, but it is much more painful for our fourlegged friends, higher infection risk (a few reasons, larger insicion, and the dogs can actually reach to lick, chew, etc, and an older dog or pup goes outside to potty so they can sit in dirt, whatever.) Plus it's just plain more expensive. I know that some people are against it, I personally wouldn't want my dobe to have a tail, but that's my opinion.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lexus said:
I know that some people are against it, I personally wouldn't want my dobe to have a tail, but that's my opinion.....
Yeah! I'm not teh only one! Sometimes I feel like I am!

·
Banned
675 Posts
Lisa/Ascommannis

Her name is Lisa Schiller, and she's American, but has moved to Europe. I'm not sure what country she's in tho.

I think she also has some kinds of deals going on with people who are in the U.S. who either breed litters here in conjunction with her that bear her kennel name, or the puppies are shipped here to be sold, or maybe both.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got her info from another breeder... She said that docking and cropping done at an older age is fine.. Some one on here said that they knew of a breeder in AZ.. I think for woking lines.. and I've never heard anything back from her.... grrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I have had a litter of AKC Doberman puppies and I have the tails and dew claws done at 1 day. When the puppies are born the bone in their tail is not totally formed yet. It is more cartilage than bone. That is what my vet told me. As the puppies get older the cartilage starts to harded. It is less painful to dock the tails and remove the dewclaws at birth than at an older age. I have a female that the breeders cropped her tail themselves and did a terrible job of it leaving it with a horrible scar on the end. when we had her ears cropped the vet on his own recropped her tail. He said that he could not leave her to go through like with a horrible looking tail like that.
As for ear cropping.. around here the vet will not crop the ears till the puppy is 9 to no more than 13 weeks and they will never do them before 9 weeks. It is getting hard to find a good vet who will crop ears anymore. There is so much pressure on them to stop!! A lot of Europe will not let you alter a dog in anyway from its natural born appearence and if the dog is brought in to the country from somewhere that does alter like the tail or ears. some of the countries will not let you show them or breed them. Germany is one of the countries that will not let you crop the ears.
I feel that cropping is a matter of opinion and should be left up to the owner of the new puppy. I never forced my new puppy owners to have the ears cropped if they did not want to.But I do have the tail and dewclaws done right at birth.
I own 4 Dobermans 3 with cropped ears and 1 without.
Well, just my 2 cents

·
Registered
333 Posts
Frznbuns,
Hi & Welcome!
The vet I take my dobie's to won't crop before 3 months now, I think he used to accept them earlier than that but I don't remember. My new puppy just had her ears done last Saturday at 14 1/2 weeks, she is the 3rd pup I have brought him to, all medium show crop. He does a fabulous job or the ears and did the same thing with the tail on her and my male as they also had a round bump at the end with no hair.
I agree that the ears should be left up to the owner but for me I just love the look of a cropped ear and tail on a Doberman :sunglasse

J

·
0 Posts
Tails should be done no more than 4 days afterbirth - if she is telling you they can be done later then she is not worth contacting again. I dont know about ears as we cant crop in the UK. I would also consider reporting her to the relevent bodies if she is saying you can dock at any age - how would she like to have her fingers removed as an adult? Silly woman.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jakdobe said:
Tails should be done no more than 4 days afterbirth - if she is telling you they can be done later then she is not worth contacting again. I dont know about ears as we cant crop in the UK. I would also consider reporting her to the relevent bodies if she is saying you can dock at any age - how would she like to have her fingers removed as an adult? Silly woman.
When she told me what she did... I did dismiss her... Theres no way I would do that.. if its down at puppybirth, then thats fine..

But its all kinda mute now....

·
Banned
375 Posts
LCGSDmama said:
I'm looking at this Breeders website, and she sells her pups with natural tails and ears, but once you get the pup you can crop the ears and tails...

Is this normal? is that too late to get the tail cropped, etc.

Tails should be docked at three days old and ears 9-12 weeks idealy some vets do up to 14 weeks. hope this helps :3dbiggrin

·
Registered
265 Posts
yep here they want the tails done by 3 days....it dont cost but $3-$4 a pup at my vet others r more expensive...ears 9-12 weeks. He will do them at any age but b/c of risk and more pain they recommend doin it at this age.. my dobermans ears r natural but i like them both ways but i dont think a dob would b a dobe without a docked tail.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
LCGSDmama said:
When she told me what she did... I did dismiss her... Theres no way I would do that.. if its down at puppybirth, then thats fine..

But its all kinda mute now....

well, in this respect - if an animal is undergoing general anesthesia to have its ears cropped, is docking the tail really that much of a difference?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts