Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my 1st Dobie and I don't having any posting experience from other breeds either.
I'm just wondering how to tell when the job is complete and when to stop posting.
Yes, the obvious answer is when they stand on their own, but here's the situation;:
The vet that cropped them told me to post them for 4-6 months after the stitches came out.
Other people in his office said just to post them until he was 4-5 month OF AGE,
that way the ears don't drop when all his teeth finally push through.
My local vet that I've have forever laughed at both and said, "if they're up, they're up, and don't post them anymore. "
Wow....there's alot of variance in those statements. :confused:

Now here are the facts:
Today he is now exactly 19 weeks old.
(if you actually count out the 7 day weeks, rather than just counting his birth "day" as the same each month)(and to be honest, I still don't know what is considered clinically correct.)
I've now been posting his ears for 5.5 weeks.
Inbetween postings I leave the posts out for around 3-4 hours.
This last time, I left them out for more than 24 hours just to see how they would do.
After 24 hours I really didn't notice much change in them at all.
Maybe a little bit of the tips started to droop, but that also might have looked that way
to me because I was LOOKING for a problem, I really don't know how to judge them,
or what is actually considered ear droop from not posting long enough.
Any help would be great, and pics would be even better, that way I know what to look for,
and what I should ignore altogether.

Here is a pic of him after the 24 hours of not having the posts in,
and I'll also show a picture of his Daddy, which in my opinion, has alot of tip droop.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I was told to post for 3-4 months from the day we started posting. Diesels ears will stand for over 24 hours and he's only 14 weeks but I would never stop now cause I know they will fall. I honestly would keep going but I'm not sure. Some people post way longer then 3-4 months. I think a lot depends on the length and the dog. He looks great but. My opinion I'd keep going. Good luck!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I almost feel like the dads ears could've been posted a little longer but I could be wrong
They probably could have done breathe-rite strips with him. I'd keep posting though.. from what I've researched here, if you think you're done- go another week.

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
They do look good. Every dog is different. Other factors on how long the length of crop. We posted for about 4 months on our first and about 5 months on our second.
If the bases and most of the ear stands almost to the top. If the tips are still a little droopy you can go to the Breathe Rite Strips and Medical glue.
They do look good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys/gals.
I asked the vet for a medium cut, just because I personally don't care for the long show cut look.
However, they came out longer than I expected.
Maybe once his head fills out more, things will look more proportional.
As to what my primary vet was saying about just leaving them, I don't know.
It seems way to early to me as well.
He also showed me a way of just taping the tips, but I didn't care for it.
How do you do the tips with those strips?
Any pics?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Post until they are done teething. Then post another week or so.
Forgive my ignorance on this one, but how can you tell?
His mouth looks full to me, haha.
I've never had to pay attention to that with the other breeds I've had.:)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Thanks guys/gals.
I asked the vet for a medium cut, just because I personally don't care for the long show cut look.
However, they came out longer than I expected.
Maybe once his head fills out more, things will look more proportional.
As to what my primary vet was saying about just leaving them, I don't know.
It seems way to early to me as well.
He also showed me a way of just taping the tips, but I didn't care for it.
How do you do the tips with those strips?
Any pics?
Try the search tab at the top. Or Youtube or Google Posting Dobermanns ears with Breathe Rite Strips Make sure you get the correct glue. If you just use the strips with out the glue they will not stick for long. Posting for a couple of weeks I don't think will hurt.
Forgot to add to clean the inside of the ear where the strip will go to get any skin oils off then dry.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've searched for a while now, and have only found 1 picture of a Red
with the strips in. Too hard to tell anything by that picture. Didn't find any videos either.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I typed in Posting with breathe Rite Strips in the search.
There are at least 3-5 posts about it. Look through them all.
I don't know about a video. Some pictures

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Just curious, why isn't your breeder helping you out with this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Technically she's not a real Dobie breeder.........yet.
She just has the bitch.
This was her first litter of puppies, and the mom's ears were already done when she bought her.
That said, she hasn't had any experience with ear posting on Dobies yet.

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Khaleesi is 7 months and I have to put a Breathe Right strip with fake fingernail glue in the middle. Otherwise, one ear flops over in the middle the wrong direction.

I'm told that if you aren't careful, you can get a "cartilage break" that doesn't repair itself.

One of my pup's ear is perfect, but one is a bit of a problem, it will flop after a few days of being unwrapped. The Breathe right strip is working beautifullly tho.

She has a gorgeous long show crop and they take longer. They also tend to flop when the dogs are teething, so watch for that.

Trust me, you'll like the Breathe Right strips much much better. So much easier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts