Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At present we are hitting temperatures in the mid to high 30's on a cool day low to mid 40's on a warm day etc etc. which I think you will agree is no fun especially when you don't have air conditioning.

Toby for the most part lays around all day, moving occasionally to find a cool tile he can lay on, but to be honest this is a temporary fix that just isn't cutting the mustard so to speak.

Do you guys have any tips I can try to keep Toby and my 2 Terriers cool.
I have tried wetting them, (the other day it was 39 in the shade) and whilst initially it helped or seemed to the effects of the cooling shower soon wore off and I am not sure but I think once they dried off they felt the heat far more.

They all have access to water, shade, and inside the house we have fans on which they lay in front of, but they still look so uncomfortable so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,306 Posts
Just thought I'd give the results of my research, for us non-metric folks here in the US:

35 Centigrade=95 Fahrenheit
40 Centigrade=104 Fahrenheit
45 Centigrade=113 Fahrenheit

If you have a dry climate a humidifier, or a fan blowing over a low dish of water can make things cooler. In a humid area, that method won't work very well.
If you are going to wet the dogs down, you don't have to wet them down all over--you can just wet their ears, feet, stomach and chest, and/or throat to cool them down.
I suppose if you have one, you might be able to rig up some kind of ice bag, cooling ice wrap (made for muscle aches), maybe even a dampened and chilled/frozen wash cloth to wrap around their neck? if you feel like experimenting.

·
Got mutt?
13,822 Posts
They make cooling beds for dogs. Is there any way you could see about ordering some online? Otherwise, damp towels on tile floors might help. Or maybe a fan with a misting attachment?

Reactions: Toby'shuman

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
I live in Texas so I totally understand heat
we do have AC however
I recomend to not walk them in the sun==late in the day
and you can put ice cubes in their water bowl
and yea...fans should be fine for them=

·
Super Moderator
21,897 Posts
I've just ordered this bed for Simon (no A/C here, either): Clean Run: Comfort Cooling Gel Mat It has good reviews.

Do you have a space you could put a doggie pool with very shallow water in it? Shanoa loves to cool off by lying in an inch or two of water in her pool.

Reactions: Toby'shuman

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
We are off grid, my whole house runs on Solar so alas A/C is not an option, :(
I am going to order a cool coat for my dobie. I have fans running to circulate the air which helps. Shades in the windows where the sun comes in.

I wish I could go off the grid. My whole house is electric! No natural gas, propane etc. Did you do it yourself?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts